Kelce's interview with dan Patrick

“All and all, I hate to say it, but we weren’t ready for it. In the second half we came out, and we came out firing because we were.” - Travis Kelce

AGAIN the ho hum AWE Shucks attitude is probably the biggest reason Andy has not gotten over the hump.   That is exactly what bothers me about him!  Offensive genius, YES!!  no doubt!!  But how in the freaking world could you not have the team prepared for this moment after ALLLLLLLL the times you have been to this game??  Especially it being the absolute biggest game in KC's history. 

***SIGH***   Guess they'll Learn from this for the next time??  🙄  "IF" there's a next time?? 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/31/18205405/travis-kelce-opens-up-about-chiefs-loss-to-patriots-overtime-rules-and-more

I think what he's trying to say is that NE had played them a certain way and based on the film they watched from the season, that BB opened up with something completely different and unexpected. KC prepped for the trends they saw & experienced through the season of film,  but BB through something different. You have 1 week to prep and practice, they practiced for what they expected to happen, it didn't...luckily they were able to adjust and get back in it.

Does it suck,  yes, but that's what makes BB so brilliant. 

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think what he's trying to say is that NE had played them a certain way and based on the film they watched from the season, that BB opened up with something completely different and unexpected. KC prepped for the trends they saw & experienced through the season of film,  but BB through something different. You have 1 week to prep and practice, they practiced for what they expected to happen, it didn't...luckily they were able to adjust and get back in it.

Does it suck,  yes, but that's what makes BB so brilliant. 

There was more of his quote in the article.  He said They didn't do anything scheme wise they weren't working on or prepared for.  The issue seemed to be how much more physical NE came out.  That is the part I am get so aggravated about with this team..  It's not like the Pats had never done that press play in the past.  I saw alot of people referencing the rams pats Superbowl leading up to this game.  They beat the hell out of those WR's in that one.

It always seems to be a thinking game with this team.  Just frustrated with the lack of attitude with his coaching style.

I'm still a bit salty on this one and Kelce's comments just got me going again.

Nice Video RB.  That's the fire I'm talking about.

7 minutes ago, xen said:

He also said they were holding a lot.  Wasn't called so guess it doesn't matter now.  

The flags seemed to be backed off tremendously as the year went on.    Less flags have been the trend for the playoffs, at least in the years prior.  So from a coaching stand point, take advantage of it.  Push the envelope a bit and see where the refs are at..  More of that Bill Brilliance I guess?? 

No more Mr. Nice guy..   ehh Andy??

The refs let these guys play which was completely different from first game as there was a ton of holding that didn’t get called. That’s got nothing to do with Andy. 

This was more learning experience for Mahomes than anything else as he needs to recognize that zero defense and get the ball out faster or audible.  He also missed a wide open Williams on perfect wheel route call.  

And of course the free releases we have Pats WRs with the lead late buried us late. 

Andys gotta always look himself and his staff in the mirror. But I think he did just that by firing Sutton.  And experience of playing in these playoff games was invaluable for Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

He also said they were holding a lot.  Wasn't called so guess it doesn't matter now.  

Watched the game again the other night. Chiefs were holding a bit too. Not as far down the field as New England. But none the less, so were we.

So it was another REID choke. He was out coached. Really........ he should be an offensive coordinator not a head coach.

1. His scripted plays were awful. How is that possible? First two plays run the ball up the middle. BRILLIANT. Shut out in the first half?

2. Never learned that taking the lead with time left on the clock was worthless with that defense. CHiefs scored too fast & left Brady plenty of time to get the lead back. 

3. Left 11 seconds on the clock and kicked a field goal only to lose by a coin flip.

KC would be better off with NAGY or PEDERSON

11 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So it was another REID choke. He was out coached. Really........ he should be an offensive coordinator not a head coach.

1. His scripted plays were awful. How is that possible? First two plays run the ball up the middle. BRILLIANT. Shut out in the first half?

2. Never learned that taking the lead with time left on the clock was worthless with that defense. CHiefs scored too fast & left Brady plenty of time to get the lead back. 

3. Left 11 seconds on the clock and kicked a field goal only to lose by a coin flip.

KC would be better off with NAGY or PEDERSON

Actually he had a few plays work like the swing route that Mahomes over threw on for a td. Can't help that the offense could not block for the rb or QB at all and then kept going 3 and out. That one over throw cost us 7 points and then the sack next play cost us a fg try

Any of those points and we win the game.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Actually he had a few plays work like the swing route that Mahomes over threw on for a td. Can't help that the offense could not block for the rb or QB at all and then kept going 3 and out. That one over throw cost us 7 points and then the sack next play cost us a fg try

Any of those points and we win the game.

Sure lots of other issues for sure. Reid still did his part & choked.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Sure lots of other issues for sure. Reid still did his part & choked.

Utter nonsense to me. If anything the team and Andy's play calling stepped up when everyone thought we were done and rallied to take the late lead. The culprit for giving it up is gone. But even then his offense rallied to tie the game going 60 yards in :39 to tie it.  And if Dee Ford doesn't line up in neutral zone Brady throws 3 picks and we are playing on Sunday. It's not like Chiefs teams to rally in the playoffs. All in all this was a BRILLIANT overall coaching job by Andy Reid who coaxed a 23 year old QB and a leaky defense within one play of the Super Bowl exceeeding everyones expectations outside of that locker room. Great year for Andy!

We were definitely not ready for the game. Pats came out fully ready and we just hang out with big boys for almost 3 quarters. The comeback was something special but overall I would agree with Kelce. 

This team exceeded the expectations of everyone including the coaches IMO and everything looked a bit rushed when it matters. Next year will be different and 2020 might be very special. 

30 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Not only that, there were 2 passes Williams was open that could have gone for 6 that Pat overthrew.  Offensively we were in it to the end, Defensively we are what we are. 

Yep. Andy made great adjustments and we dominated the second half to rally. Mahomes was clearly amped up in his first title game since high school and that hurt us in the first half with the limited possessions our defense allowed. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yep. Andy made great adjustments and we dominated the second half to rally. Mahomes was clearly amped up in his first title game since high school and that hurt us in the first half with the limited possessions our defense allowed. 

He was amped up quite a bit in big games in first halves. NE, Rams, Broncos, etc hopefully he learns to play like the 2nd half in those games.

3 hours ago, qnet said:

Besides West, I guess I'm the only one to view this as a positive. I see the players learning from this experience and it will only make them better. 

I would think learning from the other recent playoff loses would be enough??   Guess not??

3 hours ago, qnet said:

Besides West, I guess I'm the only one to view this as a positive. I see the players learning from this experience and it will only make them better. 

Maybe, if they actually learn from it.  They've been socked in the face in the playoffs a lot since Andy came and they've yet to put it together enough.

Archived