WDE - FA/DP

Mike - Hitchens, FA/DP*

Wil * O'Daniel, Hitchens*

S - Berry

S - Sorenson, Lucas

LCB - FA/DP

RCB - Ward

NCB - Fuller

Houston is probably going to be cut.  So, depending where he would fit, either the SAM or SDE, those positions will need accounted for.  They could bring in someone like KJ Wright, or draft someone like Tre Lamar or Germaine Pratt for the SAM.

Nnadi will need some competition behind him.  

Who knows what they do with Ford.  Tag and trade probably.  I can't see them keeping him, with his injury history, and his gaff in the AFCC.  He would fill the WDE nicely, though.

*Hitchens will probably be the Mike, at this point, but I think he could play the WIL, leaving O'Daniel for sub packages.  If so, they could spend a 1 on Mack Wilson, maybe.  I like Joe Giles-Harris on day 2 also.

The secondary is where Veach is going to have to put in the work.  Regardless of the system, it needs overhauled.  If Nelson is not resigned, they need 2 corners.  Even if he is, there is still a small sample size on Ward, so they might need 2 anyway.  If Watts continues to develop, they still need an eventual replacement for Berry.  Sign Thomas, or look at Abram in round 1.

53 minutes ago, SEMO said:

As of right now, it probably aligns something like this:

SDE - Speaks, Kpass

NT - Nnadi, Williams

DT - Jones

WDE - Ford, FA/DP

Mike - Hitchens, FA/DP

Will - O'Daniel

SAM - FA, DP

FS - Watts, FA/DP

SS- Berry, Lucas

LCB - FA/DP, Smith

RCB - Ward, FA/DP

SCB - Fuller

Houston and Sorenson are probably going to be cut.  So those positions will need accounted for.  They could bring in someone like KJ Wright, or draft someone like Tre Lamar or Germaine Pratt for the SAM.

Who knows what they do with Ford.  Tag probably.  He will fill the WDE nicely, though.

*Hitchens will probably be the Mike. If so, they could spend a 1 on Mack Wilson, maybe.  I like Joe Giles-Harris on day 2 also.

The secondary is where Veach is going to have to put in the work.  Regardless of the system, it needs overhauled.  If Nelson is not resigned, they need 2 corners.  Even if he is, there is still a small sample size on Ward, so they might need 2 anyway.  If Watts continues to develop, they still need an eventual replacement for Berry.  Sign Thomas, or look at Abram in round 1.

FYP.

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

Just wondering how the draft experts here would change draft priorities with a switch to a 4-3 defense.  My feeling is that the Chiefs have to find CBs and S no matter the scheme, but how does the new DC affect the search for linemen and LBs?

I heard that the most important position in Spag's defense is at SS, so maybe the Chiefs could look at drafting SS Elam.

Top priority is a starting CB followed by a strong safety, line backer, 4-3 DE, OG/C, backup CB, second TE.  We'll get a better idea when the FA market has opened to see if the Chiefs can pick up a starting DB and who the try to resign of their own FAs.  Of course, the draft values won't fall to the Chiefs priorities, but this is pretty much how I see it. 

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Would be nice but that's a lot of money tied up in 30 year old safeties.  Not sure I see us doing that.

Remember we're stuck paying berry whether he's with the team or not.

The last two players Veach tried to trade for Watkins and Hitchens, they ended up signing, so the same might happen with Thomas, but like you say it may not any longer make sense. 

On 2/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, Calichief said:

Offensive line was bad against the pats. I believe that is in our top two needs now. It was instant pressure up the middle in that game.

The Dr. will go a long way to shoring up the interior line. The question will be whether they attempt to re-sign Morse. I think he had a good year and he would provide continuity if he came back. The Pats showed the world they have an extremely underrated pass rush in the playoffs. They seemed to get better each week and still we moved the ball once we settled down. 

I believe you let Morse walk... Reiter wasn’t a noticeable drop off, and Mitch will be expensive, and has concussion concerns.. we also stashed 3 olinemen all year essentially redshirting them. I believe other than maybe a te, we stock the d.. a top flight cb would be my number one concern, then bpa for  spags scheme fits.

Morse has been decent but never gave the confidence Hudson did and concussions are a concern. If we are willing to pay a new OC I would much rather go after Paradis. 

IMO defense is still the priority as we need to focus on win-now approach with Pat's rookie deal. Looks like we somewhat have the DL set up and OLB seems to be the one need we are missing from the current roster. Other than that DBs are almost non-existent as we don't even have enough bodies around so it's still the top priority among positions groups in my view. 

20 hours ago, Nonchalant29 said:

I believe you let Morse walk... Reiter wasn’t a noticeable drop off, and Mitch will be expensive, and has concussion concerns.. we also stashed 3 olinemen all year essentially redshirting them. I believe other than maybe a te, we stock the d.. a top flight cb would be my number one concern, then bpa for  spags scheme fits.

I agree.  The concussions sounds be a concern.  

Guys like Reiter and Devey showed they could play center. 

Then there are 3 young guys who could maybe step up and take it Jimmy Murray, Khalil Mackenzie, and maybe Dillion Gordon. 

14 hours ago, Palangi said:

I agree.  The concussions sounds be a concern.  

Guys like Reiter and Devey showed they could play center. 

Then there are 3 young guys who could maybe step up and take it Jimmy Murray, Khalil Mackenzie, and maybe Dillion Gordon. 

Including Wylie in the mix I'm guessing our OL depth might be set for this year assuming that a couple of the youngsters should have a real purpose now. It'll likely be a matter of OC decision.

Archived