Congratulations to Tony Gonzalez

Honestly don’t see the Tony vs Kelce comparisons.  Tony had much much better hands and skill at getting open where as Kelce is much better at speed and is more of a large wr than old school TE.

that being said I’m still meh about this thread as yes he deserves getting in but I’ve never forgave him for jumping ship.  Now he snubs KC even more......meh let him be known as Falcon, he didn’t win us shit!  Kelce will ride and die with the Mahomes train into multiple Championships for the Chiefs znation!

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Let me put it this way.   Over the course of their careers in KC,  Gonzo averaged 7.4 targets per game, Kelce 7.23 targets per game. Almost identical.  Both players had by far their best seasons with 1,000 yard complimentary WRs that took pressure off them. In fact Gonzos best two years in KC were both with a plus 1,000 WR playing next to him. 

Let me put it this way, Gonzalez never had three 1000 yard seasons in a row and he never had a season with over 1300 yards, top that!

3 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

Let me put it this way, Gonzalez never had three 1000 yard seasons in a row and he never had a season with over 1300 yards, top that!

I’m not even sure what your talking about now. I was simply showing facts to dispute your notion that Gonzales only piled up big numbers because there were no other targets around him.  Fact is he and Kelce were/are targeted almost the exact same amount and both were/are better with a good complimentary WR next to them instead of the opposite.

32 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I’m not even sure what your talking about now. I was simply showing facts to dispute your notion that Gonzales only piled up big numbers because there were no other targets around him.  Fact is he and Kelce were/are targeted almost the exact same amount and both were/are better with a good complimentary WR next to them instead of the opposite.

I missed a lot of Chiefs games during that strange Gunther Cunningham run. It was before I had Sunday ticket and had just moved to Atlanta.  I know Derrick Alexander had some good seasons, but was he really as good as Watkins or explosive as Hill?  Also, I concur with what Joechief just posted.

27 minutes ago, qnet said:

I missed a lot of Chiefs games during that strange Gunther Cunningham run. It was before I had Sunday ticket and had just moved to Atlanta.  I know Derrick Alexander had some good seasons, but was he really as good as Watkins or explosive as Hill?  Also, I concur with what Joechief just posted.

Watkins and Alexander were both big time college players and firet round picks. Alexander was certainly more productive thus far in his career but  I would hope he’s sitting on a big season like Alexander in 2000.  

Derrick had almost 1,400 yards, 10 TDs and averaged over 17 YPC that season. Until Tyreek this year it was the best ever season by a Chiefs WR.  But on point here is that while Alexander was having this brilliant season, Tony Gonzalez also had the best season of his career.  Also the best ever by a Chiefs tight end at the time  

And nobody by my estimation in franchise history is as explosive as Tyreek is. His ability to consistently stretch defenses along with Mahomes arm proved to open up Kelce for the best season of his career as well.  Very similiar to Gonzo/Alexander they both broke franchise season records at the same time. 

Hard to fault Gonzalez.   Our organization was so inept TG has some of the worse qb's in nfl history throwing him the ball and putting up huge numbers.    Seriously, what if had been playing with Brady, Elway, etc.    Imo he was the best.   Everyone knew the ball was coming to him and he still hauled it in and put up gawdy numbers with a very putrid O for most of his career.    I don't like his comments but lets be real.  He hung around for a long time with crap around him and no hope for a playoff run outside of those couple years with Priest/Trent.  

If Kelce can stay healthy he will probably break every record Tony ever set though.  Different NFL.

25 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

If Kelce can stay healthy he will probably break every record Tony ever set though.  Different NFL.

Maybe, but Kelce is 29 and didn't start for the Chiefs until his second season due to the injury. Tony G started playing really young with the Chiefs at 21.

What's impressive about Kelce is his last three seasons. He's only about 2,000 yards from Gronk who is the same age, but started really early like TG. 

38 minutes ago, qnet said:

Maybe, but Kelce is 29 and didn't start for the Chiefs until his second season due to the injury. Tony G started playing really young with the Chiefs at 21.

What's impressive about Kelce is his last three seasons. He's only about 2,000 yards from Gronk who is the same age, but started really early like TG. 

then explain this https://www.chiefs.com/video/travis-kelce-sets-pair-of-records-with-4th-quarter-reception

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce's 25-yard catch against Oakland on Sunday gave him more receptions than any player in team history and more receiving yards than any tight end in NFL history.

5 hours ago, Joe_Chief said:

Kelce at least had Alex and now Mahomes throwing to him.   Think of who was throwing to Tony?  Aside for a few good years from Trent Green, he had Palko, Thigpen, Huard, Grbac, etc...

Yep. Gonzo got here at a really bad time. Too young and inexperienced to really do much on that really good 1997 team (which may have been the best ever team he ever played on). And then instantly into an era with 1 playoff berth the next 8 seasons. Kelce hit the jackpot by comparison. 

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

then explain this https://www.chiefs.com/video/travis-kelce-sets-pair-of-records-with-4th-quarter-reception

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce's 25-yard catch against Oakland on Sunday gave him more receptions than any player in team history and more receiving yards than any tight end in NFL history.

Well he had that record until Kittle broke it the same day with more yards in a single season record.

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The problem is that you can't dispute it, because he did pile up big numbers with lesser WR's, Kelce had over 1300 yards this year and he has had 1000+ yards three years in a row, Gonzalez never accomplished that in his career.

22 minutes ago, NChiefsCorner said:

The problem is that you can't dispute it, because he did pile up big numbers with lesser WR's, Kelce had over 1300 yards this year and he has had 1000+ yards three years in a row, Gonzalez never accomplished that in his career.

I'm not sure what's so difficult to comprehend about this but both guys were targeted almost exactly the same amount. I'll say it again, both guys were thrown the ball almost an identical number of times per game. So I think most would assume under those simple parameters that Tony G did not benefit from a lack of WRs around him by getting the ball more than Kelce. And in fact as the numbers CLEARLY show BOTH players had more yards when they had a good WR playing with them.  Kelce has clearly played with superior QBs in a superior offensive system through his first six seasons though. That's undeniable. 

what is all this crap, about any nfl player going into the hall of fame as a member of a team? Thats not the way it works.. 

Three guys who played for the chiefs, are headed to the hall of fame in a year, where our quarterback won MVP, and Offensive player of the year.

The future is bright. 

You guys are all pissed at ford for being offsides, yet outside of a couple of years in chiefs history, this was the best ever, at least since I have been born.. 

Some of you guys would bitch about winning the superbowl. 

IMO if you get upset by that incident you need to change your panty shield.. to assume any player has any heartwarming feelings about a particular team or area beyond his own self interests is ridicules. Who gives a rats ass if he's dick personally or not?  He produced when he was on  the Chiefs so appreciate it.. you all sound like a bunch of jilted teenage puppy lovers. Grow the fuck up. Have'nt you ever heard the old saying about never meeting your heroes?  You'll be disappointed more times than not. The fact is that he was asked a question by a Atl reporter so of course his brain is going to go there. If it had been a KC  guy asking the questions he would of said the same thing but  with KC.

Archived