NFL.com Power Rankings

RANK

cheifs-logo.jpg

CHIEFS (13-5)

From non-call-gate to laser tag. Yes, apparently, someone was shining a laser pointer at Tom Brady during the AFC Championship Game in Arrowhead. So much going on in the NFL these days that I'm sure we'd all like to go back to the era when Sam Wyche could simply grab a mic and tell the crowd to behave. As for the Chiefs, I'm surprised the dismissal of longtime defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, whose unit couldn't slow down Brady, didn't happen sooner, given Kansas City's struggles the last two years on defense. Andy Reid can't be asking Patrick Mahomes to score 30 points just for his team to have a chance. After all, that's what derailed the career of the guy doing color for Pats- Chiefs. Speaking of Tony Romo's Cowboys, the Chiefs could have offered Dallas assistant Kris Richard a boatload of money to jump ship (er, horse). Instead, it's Steve Spagnuolo's unit to fix now.

There was clear division between the leagues top 4 teams this year (you could make case for Chargers) and everyone else while it was basically one play that divided the top four teams. Way to early to really feel good about any projections but the wise guys in Vegas thinks we’ve got the best chance to emerge to the top of the pack with 6-1 odds to win Lombardi.  That’s too short of odds to take for me right now though.  Id be looking for some 20-1 team with money to spend, a questionable division and an emerging QB if I had to bet now.  

25 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

There was clear division between the leagues top 4 teams this year (you could make case for Chargers) and everyone else while it was basically one play that divided the top four teams. Way to early to really feel good about any projections but the wise guys in Vegas thinks we’ve got the best chance to emerge to the top of the pack with 6-1 odds to win Lombardi.  That’s too short of odds to take for me right now though.  Id be looking for some 20-1 team with money to spend, a questionable division and an emerging QB if I had to bet now.  

So a team like the Browns since Pit is a mess and may move AB, Baltimore who can't pass, and the bangles who are the bangles?  Young QB, solid D, money to spend, and Dorsey who can find talent...be an intriguing year for them. 

5 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

So a team like the Browns since Pit is a mess and may move AB, Baltimore who can't pass, and the bangles who are the bangles?  Young QB, solid D, money to spend, and Dorsey who can find talent...be an intriguing year for them. 

I think they will be a hot pick by next fall and do have a ton of CAP money we know Dorsey likes to use. 20-1 on them makes some real sense. The division is definitely going through some shakeup and has only 1 returning playoff team. The Texans and Colts really look the part too with tons of CAP space. Seattle at 30-1 with over 50 million in CAP space will get you solid value too. 

The favorites:

Chiefs – 6/1
Rams – 8/1
Saints – 8/1
Patriots – 8/1
Chargers – 14/1
Bears – 14/1
Steelers – 14/1

The contenders:

Vikings – 16/1
Packers – 16/1
Cowboys – 16/1
Eagles – 20/1
Ravens – 20/1
Colts – 20/1
Browns – 20/1
Texans – 20/1
Seahawks – 30/1

Baltimore is picked for 3rd in their own division behind Pitt and Cleve. Bnegals bring up the rear.

Lamar needs to improve VASTLY to be a viable dual threat QB next year...otherwise its a one trick pony. Baltimore is uip against the cap also, loses a 2nd rd pick (lamar) and culd lose key vets like Suggs, Weddle, Brown, Crabtree, Yanda....eesh

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Baltimore is picked for 3rd in their own division behind Pitt and Cleve. Bnegals bring up the rear.

Lamar needs to improve VASTLY to be a viable dual threat QB next year...otherwise its a one trick pony. Baltimore is uip against the cap also, loses a 2nd rd pick (lamar) and culd lose key vets like Suggs, Weddle, Brown, Crabtree, Yanda....eesh

BAL needs a QB with an arm.  Jackson just may not ever get there.  Teams will figure out how to contain his run threat and if he can't throw the ball, they will be hurting. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

BAL needs a QB with an arm.  Jackson just may not ever get there.  Teams will figure out how to contain his run threat and if he can't throw the ball, they will be hurting. 

Last game showed that. And it also shows how historically bad the KC defense was because he lost in OT to you guys.

I am not sold on how he is the answer.....

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Unsettled QB situation vs emerging star and future HOFer certainly puts Ravens in tough spot. Aging stars on defense actually makes this a good time to take a step back and try to rebuild in earnest while figuring out what you really have in Jackson. Gimmick schemes that take defenses off guard can work for a while in the RG III mold, but eventually one trick ponies get exposed as the Chargers showed. Most legit scouts were always very leary of his arm. But as I said before I also read that he was entire anchor of that Louisville program so his intangibles and leadership are off the charts and worthy of at least some real development. 

If I were to take one more chance before rebuild as a Raven it would make sense. Tough defense. I think I would swing for the fences with Foles, Brown, Bell. See if you can land 2 of the three. Pitt is a mess. Cleveland is very interesting, but still Cleveland until proven otherwise.

Archived