Veach interview on Sportsradio 810 today

8 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

I'm not interested in the stats the fact of the matter is he got shutdown. Yes he's a top 5 WR, which makes it unacceptable

Ironic you say you’re not interested in stats but then holding Tyreek accountable for a poor statistical game.

When one player commands double teams on every play, he’s having a huge impact on the game.

Tyreek was a beast all season despite playing through multiple injuries.  He crushed the Patriots so much in first meeting that BB made him focal point of game plan. I can’t even comprehend not appreciating Tyreek. He’s flat special.  

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agree with #2. No idea how you came to the first conclusion. He may be the GM, but sutton staying was Reids call. How did they punt on this year? Signing Watkins for 3 yrs at 16 million per doesnt exactly scream "were playing the long game".

Because I don’t believe if you have a chance to win a superbowl you would spend big bucks on a 4-3 inside linebacker and draft with your top pick a 4-3 end. Tells me they thought mahomes would have a year of growing pains before making a run at a superbowl.

i really hope you guys are right about watkins, ive never been impressed with him between the dropped passes and injuries, i really hope im wrong.

if im veach i try to trade watkins for a corner like jalen ramsey or some such idea, then maybe take a flyer on a wide out in free agency, for instance deshaun jackson on a 1 year deal if he gets released.

Will be interesting to watch what the jaguars do, they may feel its time to rebuild if they dont get a qb, would love to bring in some of their defense especially Calais campbell

35 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Ironic you say you’re not interested in stats but then holding Tyreek accountable for a poor statistical game.

When one player commands double teams on every play, he’s having a huge impact on the game.

Tyreek was a beast all season despite playing through multiple injuries.  He crushed the Patriots so much in first meeting that BB made him focal point of game plan. I can’t even comprehend not appreciating Tyreek. He’s flat special.  

Damn straight. We're very lucky to have him of course, but the goal is to win a Superbowl and Tyreek not touching the ball more than once was an absolute unacceptable performance, and I blame Reid. He was simply out-coached. 

Me saying Tyreek isn't all that is Not how I feel. I'm still upset about the loss. I didn't mean it

4 hours ago, dksww said:

Didn't say no to bringing Kareem Hunt back. 

I know it's a long shot to think, but it does make a lot of sense.

If he goes through all the treatments the NFL has set forth for him AND were to be re-instated, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Chiefs.

A long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised.

If I were Kareem, I'd seek mentorship from Jared Allen. From what I recall, JA sobered up after being traded away to Minnesota...and became a better individual 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Because I don’t believe if you have a chance to win a superbowl you would spend big bucks on a 4-3 inside linebacker and draft with your top pick a 4-3 end. Tells me they thought mahomes would have a year of growing pains before making a run at a superbowl.

i really hope you guys are right about watkins, ive never been impressed with him between the dropped passes and injuries, i really hope im wrong.

if im veach i try to trade watkins for a corner like jalen ramsey or some such idea, then maybe take a flyer on a wide out in free agency, for instance deshaun jackson on a 1 year deal if he gets released.

Will be interesting to watch what the jaguars do, they may feel its time to rebuild if they dont get a qb, would love to bring in some of their defense especially Calais campbell

Even Veach who called Mahomes the best prospect he had ever scouted could not possibly have predicted this type of success.  But by trading Alex, Veach has the money to make sure our gaping hole at the 2 WR and especially in the red zone was filled with a real guy with huge upside.

He was giving his QB the most loaded group of skill players in the league also knowing his defense after Peters trade was a work in progress.  Tough to expect big contributions from draft minus any pick in the top 50.  Hitchens was a run stuffing stud who has scheme versatility. All in all though other than Hitchens, whatever real improvement the 2018 defense would have would come from healthy veterans especially Berry.  

I do think there’s truth to what you say about not expecting to be this good this fast. But there wasn’t much more Veach could have done until this offseason with 3 top 63 picks. He’s been aggressive with limited resources though since day one. 

2 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

If I were Kareem, I'd seek mentorship from Jared Allen. From what I recall, JA sobered up after being traded away to Minnesota...and became a better individual 

Jared straightend himself out and quit drinking while in KC. The Vikings were convinced enough they traded the farm to get him. Of course there’s a difference between Kareem’s worse indiscretions though.

2 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Damn straight. We're very lucky to have him of course, but the goal is to win a Superbowl and Tyreek not touching the ball more than once was an absolute unacceptable performance, and I blame Reid. He was simply out-coached. 

Me saying Tyreek isn't all that is Not how I feel. I'm still upset about the loss. I didn't mean it

I’d disagree Andy got outcoached. Andy adjusted and got three TDs from his third string RB while getting the downfield passing going through Watkins. He also had a great play call to get Tyreek a 42 yard reception despite double team. Tried it again in the end zone but they didn’t bite again.and pass almost picked.  

So he stuck with two weapons Pats couldn’t cover with their game plan and we mounted epic rally. Culprit coach on defense is gone and hopefully the coin too.  

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Jared straightend himself out and quit drinking while in KC. The Vikings were convinced enough they traded the farm to get him. Of course there’s a difference between Kareem’s worse indiscretions though.

Yeah don't remember JA kicking a girl.

15 hours ago, dksww said:

Didn't say no to bringing Kareem Hunt back. 

I know it's a long shot to think, but it does make a lot of sense.

If he goes through all the treatments the NFL has set forth for him AND were to be re-instated, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back with the Chiefs.

A long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually , this is exactly as I felt. If he sincerely has his stuff together we should welcome him back as long as he comes back to basically play out his rookie deal with incentives or a little more money, but not a big contract.

1 hour ago, Docbarnabee said:

Actually , this is exactly as I felt. If he sincerely has his stuff together we should welcome him back as long as he comes back to basically play out his rookie deal with incentives or a little more money, but not a big contract.

Agreed and regardless of where signs, he's not getting a big $ deal with this hanging over his head.

The Chiefs have given 2nd chances to a lot of players since Reid got here so you do wonder if cutting him mid-season and having him get treatments were the first step, then bringing him back for 2nd chance after.

13 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

K. Hunt has major anger issues and needs to seek treatment for that. JA was a party animal, this is 2 different things.

13 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Reid wasn't out-coached, the Chiefs' defense was just so bad it was going to blow a game in the playoffs at some point and the Patriots are more than disciplined enough to hammer any team's weakness.  Ours was stopping the run and getting teams off the field on 3rd down. 

If anything, Reid made outstanding adjustments after getting shut out in the first half and putting up 31 in the 2nd half.

I fundamentally disagree with the bashing of tyreek hill and andy reid about the patriots game. Belichick took away hill at all costs by doubling him every play. He did the same to kelce about 60% of the time.

he essentially dared sammy watkins to beat them, and while watkins had a good game at first glance by looking at the stats, i dont consider what he did vs single coverage against a defense that had been giving up the deep ball all year that impressive.

the real sore spot was the o line, which goes back to my main complaint all season which is mitch morse shouldn’t be retained. Also i did have hopes for cam erving but he is a backup at this point in his career.

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I fundamentally disagree with the bashing of tyreek hill and andy reid about the patriots game. Belichick took away hill at all costs by doubling him every play. He did the same to kelce about 60% of the time.

he essentially dared sammy watkins to beat them, and while watkins had a good game at first glance by looking at the stats, i dont consider what he did vs single coverage against a defense that had been giving up the deep ball all year that impressive.

the real sore spot was the o line, which goes back to my main complaint all season which is mitch morse shouldn’t be retained. Also i did have hopes for cam erving but he is a backup at this point in his career.

The Hoodie is the best HC of all time and showed it this whole off-season confusing OL's throughout the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Cam Erving showed all season long he is a quality starter in the NFL.

The offense made all the right adjustments and the OL allowed 0 sacks in the 2nd half.

You can't diminish a whole season of OL production and growth from the whole group based on one half of football against the best HC in NFL history, especially if you're going to act like nothing changed in the 2nd half of that game.

13 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

BB put his fastest corner on Tyreek and doubled him over the top with his best cover safety.  He put his best corner on Watkins with little safety help. And then created a ton of pressure against an oline that didn’t handle it well for sure. Also Mahomes has pre snap hot reads he missed as Ray Lewis pointed out which has everything to do with experience. From that standpoint this game was invaluable for Patrick.  

Agree I wouldn’t keep Morse at market value.  Veach has us covered there already if Morse goes. I do think getting LDT back will really help inside and they think K McKenzie has big upside on the other side. Between he and Erving there significant potential for oline to get better. 

11 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

BB put his fastest corner on Tyreek and doubled him over the top with his best cover safety.  He put his best corner on Watkins with little safety help. And then created a ton of pressure against an oline that didn’t handle it well for sure. Also Mahomes has pre snap hot reads he missed as Ray Lewis pointed out which has everything to do with experience. From that standpoint this game was invaluable for Patrick.  

Agree I wouldn’t keep Morse at market value.  Veach has us covered there already if Morse goes. I do think getting LDT back will really help inside and they think K McKenzie has big upside on the other side. Between he and Erving there significant potential for oline to get better. 

Sounds like we are in agreement. 

The other thing is say for example we bring back the same offense in its entirety plus a legit third wr that would be unstoppable as well, conley/ robsinson/ demetrius harris just aren’t legit threats.

i do think morse leaving 99% will happen and veach has us covered 

41 minutes ago, dksww said:

The Hoodie is the best HC of all time and showed it this whole off-season confusing OL's throughout the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Cam Erving showed all season long he is a quality starter in the NFL.

The offense made all the right adjustments and the OL allowed 0 sacks in the 2nd half.

You can't diminish a whole season of OL production and growth from the whole group based on one half of football against the best HC in NFL history, especially if you're going to act like nothing changed in the 2nd half of that game.

Well said. Heck he created all kinds of “fake” pressure in the Super Bowl that made Goff feel like people were coming from everywhere. I read he wanted to take away the play action pass where Goff thrived all year. He did it.  If you can’t adjust and do something you aren’t comfortable with, he’s got you beat. 

44 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Sounds like we are in agreement. 

The other thing is say for example we bring back the same offense in its entirety plus a legit third wr that would be unstoppable as well, conley/ robsinson/ demetrius harris just aren’t legit threats.

i do think morse leaving 99% will happen and veach has us covered 

I think a legit 2nd TE would do us better than a 3rd WR. Someone we can use to help block for running game, screens etc. 

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Reid wasn't out-coached, the Chiefs' defense was just so bad it was going to blow a game in the playoffs at some point and the Patriots are more than disciplined enough to hammer any team's weakness.  Ours was stopping the run and getting teams off the field on 3rd down. 

If anything, Reid made outstanding adjustments after getting shut out in the first half and putting up 31 in the 2nd half.

It's ok he got out coached man. His job as a head coach is both offense and defense. 

16 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

It's ok he got out coached man. His job as a head coach is both offense and defense. 

Andy Reid doesn't get too involved on the defensive side of the ball, it's been that way for years.

I'll agree he did get outcoached in the first half, but made the right adjustments in the 2nd half.

The defense was never going to do anything with Werthers running the show.

7 minutes ago, dksww said:

Andy Reid doesn't get too involved on the defensive side of the ball, it's been that way for years.

I'll agree he did get outcoached in the first half, but made the right adjustments in the 2nd half.

The defense was never going to do anything with Werthers running the show.

BB won first half coaching battle. Andy won the second.   Overall it was pretty much a brilliant season for Big Red.  

He managed a QB with 1 career start, a leaky incomplete defense, an offield debacle with the leagues leading rusher and a defensive superstar who spent the whole season on the bench with a day to day injury into 12 wins, a third straight AFC West Title, #1 seed, home playoff win and within a coin flip of the Super Bowl.  

Just a phenomenal job by Big Red. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

BB won first half coaching battle. Andy won the second.   Overall it was pretty much a brilliant season for Big Red.  

He managed a QB with 1 career start, a leaky incomplete defense, an offield debacle with the leagues leading rusher and a defensive superstar who spent the whole season on the bench with a day to day injury into 12 wins, a third straight AFC West Title, #1 seed, home playoff win and within a coin flip of the Super Bowl.  

Just a phenomenal job by Big Red. 

He does a phenomenal job every year. It's time for a Superbowl man. We were one game at Arrowhead away from achieving that. It's still salty in my taste 

26 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He does a phenomenal job every year. It's time for a Superbowl man. We were one game at Arrowhead away from achieving that. It's still salty in my taste 

This was BY FAR his best coaching job. And you win in January with elite QBs he's never had. He's got one now and as the AFC goes, if you host one AFC Title game, you are just as likely to host three. That's how important the QB part of this is. He got every ounce he could out of this team. Now Spags and a trio of draft picks in the first two rounds we didn't have last year can help put us over the top. 

18 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Somehow B.B. took the 30th ranked pass rush and they were unblockable in the playoffs. They completely dominated our line. Basically did the same thing to the Rams. Hats off to them for pulling it off.

I think this is important. And even the Rams defense wasn't very good during the season but turned it on in the postseason. We need to build towards a group that can get it done in January next year. Spags doesn't need to build a world beater from day one, it just needs to be a tactical approach towards building towards beating the teams we will likely face in the playoffs. Why the heck am I posting Len Dawson smoking on the sideline in every post...LOL

Archived