Great Job, Veach

I know that someone can get injured just walking upstairs or slipping in the shower, but what Veach has stopped may have hypothetically saved next year:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25945133/chiefs-gm-no-more-basketball-patrick-mahomes

'Hey, man, you're breaking a lot of ankles out there. Just make sure you don't break your own. I don't think we need that,'" he said.

I even worry about the Olympics for my basketball team players. I hate when I see them participate in non-Olympic years to qualify. Again, I know you can injure yourself in regular practice or a regular life, but let’s avoid the stuff.

When you play football and are supposed to play at 100%, play 100%. Don’t play scared of injury.  Work out when you need to work out and I know that comes with the risk of injury. But in the off-season, don’t play basketball if you are the team and league MVP. 

28 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I know that someone can get injured just walking upstairs or slipping in the shower, but what Veach has stopped may have hypothetically saved next year:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25945133/chiefs-gm-no-more-basketball-patrick-mahomes

'Hey, man, you're breaking a lot of ankles out there. Just make sure you don't break your own. I don't think we need that,'" he said.

I even worry about the Olympics for my basketball team players. I hate when I see them participate in non-Olympic years to qualify. Again, I know you can injure yourself in regular practice or a regular life, but let’s avoid the stuff.

When you play football and are supposed to play at 100%, play 100%. Don’t play scared of injury.  Work out when you need to work out and I know that comes with the risk of injury. But in the off-season, don’t play basketball if you are the team and league MVP. 

Funny thing is he was at my gym playing with a bunch of average joes uncoordinated enough he might get hurt because they couldn’t get out of his way. 

I get the injury risk but this is ridiculous. I fully understand contract clauses for high risk stuff like riding a motorcycle,  or running with the bulls, but telling a prime athlete who’s entire life has revolved around sports that he can’t play a pickup game of hoops is a little much. I’d be as devastated as any fan if our franchise player got hurt, but let’s be real, we don’t own his life.  He should be able to do something that young kids do at recess every day.  

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

I get the injury risk but this is ridiculous. I fully understand contract clauses for high risk stuff like riding a motorcycle,  or running with the bulls, but telling a prime athlete who’s entire life has revolved around sports that he can’t play a pickup game of hoops is a little much. I’d be as devastated as any fan if our franchise player got hurt, but let’s be real, we don’t own his life.  He should be able to do something that young kids do at recess every day.  

Why risk it though? Would you give up things like this in order to do a similar thing but make millions of dollars as a job? I would.

6 hours ago, moons314 said:

Has to give up 1 game if he wants to get paid 200 million dollars to play another. These are good problems to have. He gets to play a game that kids play for free all the way through college for a living. Its not like he's shoveling shit with an angry boss on his back.

6 hours ago, moons314 said:

It's pretty common in qb contracts.  Remember the flap about Brady jumping off that 25 ft cliff and playing hoops with jordan? 

I think this is a bit rediculous, guys who range from average Joes to elite athletes go play basketball all the time for exercise and fun. Pat is a competitive athlete who requires this type of athletic stimulus and competition. Personally, I'm sure it's part of what has developed some of his skill set on the field list like baseball did. 

Let's not pussify these guys, but that's just my opinion. 

2002-03-19 04:00:00 PDT Scottsdale, Ariz. -- The Giants are investigating the cause of second baseman Jeff Kent's broken left wrist after learning that two people called 911 on the afternoon that Kent got hurt to report that a motorcyclist who was doing a "wheelie" crashed not far from Scottsdale Stadium.

Sgt. Doug Dirren, public information officer for the Scottsdale police, told The Chronicle that the Giants called the department and inquired about a motorcycle accident after an Internet report surfaced Friday that Kent got hurt that way and not, as Kent had said, by tumbling off a pickup truck he was washing.

The Giants learned that police took two 911 calls about a motorcycle wreck on Hayden Road near Jackrabbit Road, about two miles north of Scottsdale Stadium. Hayden Road is a six-lane north-south artery that links downtown Scottsdale with north Scottsdale, where many players live during spring training.

Dirren said that neither of the 911 callers identified the rider.

"The Giants were told basically that we responded to a call in the area for a motorcycle that was doing a 'wheelie' and lost control of his motorcycle," Dirren said. "He didn't collide with anybody."

When officers arrived they found no accident. No report was filed and the police are not investigating. But Giants officials say they have received more information indicating that Kent was involved.

Players have lied before about getting hurt off the field. Not saying PM would lie, but why risk it? The team has an investment in him. So does the community.

Alot of people were blaming Kareem Hunt foir the playoff loss because he was unavailable due to a poor choice off the field. This would be no different.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Has to give up 1 game if he wants to get paid 200 million dollars to play another. These are good problems to have. He gets to play a game that kids play for free all the way through college for a living. Its not like he's shoveling shit with an angry boss on his back.

this is a good enough reason for me if I was going to make 200 mil, I can play basketball on XBOX lol

13 hours ago, moons314 said:

Think about the Eric Berry situation this year.  Clark Hunt had to pay out millions to have some guy standing on the sidelines watching.  I know Berry didn't get hurt in basketball, but let's say he had.  If we look at it from Clark Hun't point of view, with millions at stake, we can see why the Chiefs are so uptight. 

8 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

Think about the Eric Berry situation this year.  Clark Hunt had to pay out millions to have some guy standing on the sidelines watching.  I know Berry didn't get hurt in basketball, but let's say he had.  If we look at it from Clark Hun't point of view, with millions at stake, we can see why the Chiefs are so uptight. 

But he didn't get hurt playing basketball.  DT was killed in a car accident, should we not allow players to drive as well? I get putting restrictions on extreme sports type of stuff, but we can play the what if games all day. Hell, he could mess his lower back up playing golf...I just think you got to let professional athletes be athletes, they are built for sports. Want to ban boxing or motocross stuff, so be it as serious injury can happen, but I see difference in the kid playing a pickup game of basketball versus playing some flag football or something on the side with his teammates.  

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

2002-03-19 04:00:00 PDT Scottsdale, Ariz. -- The Giants are investigating the cause of second baseman Jeff Kent's broken left wrist after learning that two people called 911 on the afternoon that Kent got hurt to report that a motorcyclist who was doing a "wheelie" crashed not far from Scottsdale Stadium.

Sgt. Doug Dirren, public information officer for the Scottsdale police, told The Chronicle that the Giants called the department and inquired about a motorcycle accident after an Internet report surfaced Friday that Kent got hurt that way and not, as Kent had said, by tumbling off a pickup truck he was washing.

The Giants learned that police took two 911 calls about a motorcycle wreck on Hayden Road near Jackrabbit Road, about two miles north of Scottsdale Stadium. Hayden Road is a six-lane north-south artery that links downtown Scottsdale with north Scottsdale, where many players live during spring training.

Dirren said that neither of the 911 callers identified the rider.

"The Giants were told basically that we responded to a call in the area for a motorcycle that was doing a 'wheelie' and lost control of his motorcycle," Dirren said. "He didn't collide with anybody."

When officers arrived they found no accident. No report was filed and the police are not investigating. But Giants officials say they have received more information indicating that Kent was involved.

Players have lied before about getting hurt off the field. Not saying PM would lie, but why risk it? The team has an investment in him. So does the community.

Alot of people were blaming Kareem Hunt foir the playoff loss because he was unavailable due to a poor choice off the field. This would be no different.

Living life is very different than having multiple issues with assault. 

10 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

But he didn't get hurt playing basketball.  DT was killed in a car accident, should we not allow players to drive as well? I get putting restrictions on extreme sports type of stuff, but we can play the what if games all day. Hell, he could mess his lower back up playing golf...I just think you got to let professional athletes be athletes, they are built for sports. Want to ban boxing or motocross stuff, so be it as serious injury can happen, but I see difference in the kid playing a pickup game of basketball versus playing some flag football or something on the side with his teammates.  

Yeah, you can slip in the shower but we don’t ban showers, but I feel like the moment he gets hurt playing basketball, there’s not much we can say other then we wish he weren’t playing basketball.

If he gets hurt at practice, so be it. I wish he weren’t practicing? No. That’s part of sports. If he gets hurt at home like John Wall tore his Achilles at his house, that’s kind of unpreventable.

We can’t prove that an injury at basketball wouldn’t have also had something else if he had been doing something else, but let’s try to prevent what we can.  Hey, playing basketball would be better than being in the wrong place at the wrong time at some party or something.

Not telling him to sit on his couch.

Not saying thing about DT, but in general, we do ask athletes to have a driver if they’re going to drink. They can afford it and it protects them from the league discipline and possible accidents. So I think that Hunt is basically trying to prevent competitive basketball. Not H.O.R.S.E.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:42 AM, moons314 said:

You post is especially funny because of these rankings photos that are now given to us.  Len Dawson smoking a cigarette on the bench was pretty high risk stuff for his own health and stamina in retrospect.  

If it was actually a joint, though, it would explain his moniker, "Lenny the Cool."  He would need a giant bowl of M&M'a sitting next to him.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You post is especially funny because of these rankings photos that are now given to us.  Len Dawson smoking a cigarette on the bench was pretty high risk stuff for his own health and stamina in retrospect.  

If it was actually a joint, though, it would explain his moniker, "Lenny the Cool."  He would need a giant bowl of M&M'a sitting next to him.

Cool ranch doritos for me, please.

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

that was in the locker room

I remember something about him smoking a joint, but nothing about candy.  It was funny, but it must have slipped away into something I thought I had thought of.  Sorry OT.  I try to avoid plagiarism, especially if there is a publisher with lawyers involved.  😱

I just don't understand this.  Like others, I get the risk involved with Racing, motorcycles, skydiving, extreme sports, ect.  On the other hand, Pat could trip down the stairs and hurt himself, but is there a clause against taking the stairs?  There was a royals pitcher that was out for some time last season because he fell off his barn.  Injuries are going to happen and with elite athletes I would say the risk playing a pickup game of basketball game is the same as getting the WRs together in the offseason to practice.  How many times do we hear about players in practice and walk-throughs getting hurt bad on non-contact plays?  Teddy Bridgewater comes to mind.  When a body part is ready to go, it doesn't matter what activity is the culprit, the injury is going to happen regardless.  Look what golf has done to Tiger Wood's back...I didn't see anyone freaking out when the Mahomes Top Golf Video came out...

15 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I just don't understand this.  Like others, I get the risk involved with Racing, motorcycles, skydiving, extreme sports, ect.  On the other hand, Pat could trip down the stairs and hurt himself, but is there a clause against taking the stairs?  There was a royals pitcher that was out for some time last season because he fell off his barn.  Injuries are going to happen and with elite athletes I would say the risk playing a pickup game of basketball game is the same as getting the WRs together in the offseason to practice.  How many times do we hear about players in practice and walk-throughs getting hurt bad on non-contact plays?  Teddy Bridgewater comes to mind.  When a body part is ready to go, it doesn't matter what activity is the culprit, the injury is going to happen regardless.  Look what golf has done to Tiger Wood's back...I didn't see anyone freaking out when the Mahomes Top Golf Video came out...

If I was Mahomes boss, I would not want him playing pickup basketball either.  We are a torn achilles from wasting the best chance we've had at a Super Bowl championship in 50 years.  Yes, he could get hurt a number of ways, but some ways are more likely than others.  And they are paying him a lot of money to play football.  I got no problem with them being cautious with his off the field activities. 

10 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

The likelihood of an injury is much higher when playing sports with others, even with amateurs compared to taking the stairs. There's no such thing as 100% protection against injuries but taking away casual sports with others does reduce the risk considerably while not completely eliminating it. 

19 hours ago, West said:

There was nothing about Dawson smoking a joint.  There was a "rumor" floated about him being tied to the Mafia and having a gambling addiction before the SB against the Vikings.

w

It was a cigarette smoked in locker room Superbowl 1.   Smoking very common in 1967. Lenny later became national spokesman for IQ for I Quit   The gambling charge was against a gambler named Donald Dawson.   Same last name

Archived