Chiefs hiring Kentucky's D coordinator as LB coach...again

This is HUGE

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates

Source: the Chiefs are expected to hire University of Kentucky defensive coordinator Matt House as their linebackers coach.

Brandon Zenner‏ @NPNowZenner

Matt House developed Aaron Deonald at Pitt, lex Kentucky to being one of the top defenses in the NCAA and has another top pick this year in edge rusher Josh Allen. This is an absolute steal for the #Chiefs.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a great hire and I agree he could be a Spags successor.  He's had success everywhere he's been in college.

I wish we could end up with Josh Allen now but he's going in the top 10 and I don't want to trade away picks to move up this year.

13 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Another promising assistant defensive assistant hire, but didn’t stoops effectively run the defense at Kentucky? I just assumed that but I really have no idea

Consider Brett Venables was Bob Stoops defensive coordinator at OU (along with a few others).  Stoops brothers are like Andy Reid in they surround themselves with quality people and let them do their job. So if you fail, it’s on you.  

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Moving from college to the NFL is a demotion? Seems like an easier path to an NFL DC spot this way.

Yeah I think at worst its a lateral move and its Kentucky.   The chances of him maintaining that level of success there is very difficult.   I think he has a clear path to a DC gig here if things go well.   If Spags does well he will probably get a chance elsewhere and this seems like a younger up and coming coach many of us were hoping for.  

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Not a good look for the Kentucky program if the DC just took a demotion to leave your program off its best year in forever.

Unless you enjoy a 90-10 ratio of recruiting to actual coaching, this is far from a demotion.  Especially if you want to be a DC at this level.  

He had also accomplished about all he could at that level taking the 87th ranked defense to 8th in two years. At least all he could without going to a handful of schools who have any shot at a title. Even then the best road to be a DC in the big leagues, is through the big leagues.  

20 minutes ago, tges58 said:

So I guess you consider going from a high school DC to a major college LB coach to be a demotion, too?

I really can't see how anyone could consider this a demotion.

It’s absurd to consider this a demotion.  Coaches who want to compete at the highest level do this all the time when given a chance.  Heck our LBs coach from two years ago left Sabans staff as DC at LSU to be linebacker coach with the Cowboys.  

1 hour ago, tges58 said:

So I guess you consider going from a high school DC to a major college LB coach to be a demotion, too?

I really can't see how anyone could consider this a demotion.

What?  No.  That's a totally absurd comparison and you know it.

I don't think there's really a difference between being a coach at a major NCAA program and the NFL.  Especially in the SEC.  He went from being a Coordinator to a positional coach.  It'a demotion.

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think there's really a difference between being a coach at a major NCAA program and the NFL.  Especially in the SEC.  He went from being a Coordinator to a positional coach.  It'a demotion.

No it isn't, and yes there is.  Besides, it's Kentucky, not Alabama.

10 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

It's a demotion

Yeah imagine having to go home and tell your wife that you had been demoted. She asks what you had possibly done wrong. You tell her you've had to accept a job coaching LB for the team favored to win the SB next year. 

She immediately files for divorce. How will the family eat? You are 2 steps down the ladder from accomplishing a lifelong goal of being an NFL head coach. How could you do this? First you turned the defense at Kentucky into a top 10 unit nationally...now this. 

9 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s absurd to consider this a demotion.  Coaches who want to compete at the highest level do this all the time when given a chance.  Heck our LBs coach from two years ago left Sabans staff as DC at LSU to be linebacker coach with the Cowboys.  

Absolutely correct.

Yeah I mean who would go from 275k a year contract to making more money with more potential at the highest level of all and consider that a promotion? Absurd!

Really though he will have a chance to make his mark and even if he never gets a chance at head coach he will make a ton more money as a DC and if so he could become a head coach for great money at the college level too later on. Look at Lovie Smith as an example and he has done jack shit for Illinois. This is the farthest thing from a demotion at a school known for basketball more so than football and is far from a major school in football.

10 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

In your head maybe.  Happens all the time.  And hell, it's Kentucky football.  Moving from Kentucky HC to an NFL Waterboy is a promotion.

Archived