Chiefs hiring Kentucky's D coordinator as LB coach...again

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah I mean who would go from 275k a year contract to making more money with more potential at the highest level of all and consider that a promotion? Absurd!

Really though he will have a chance to make his mark and even if he never gets a chance at head coach he will make a ton more money as a DC and if so he could become a head coach for great money at the college level too later on. Look at Lovie Smith as an example and he has done jack shit for Illinois. This is the farthest thing from a demotion at a school known for basketball more so than football and is far from a major school in football.

If this article is correct he was making much more than 275k 

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/new-deals-for-gran-and-house-plus-the-new-assistant-salaries/

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Kentucky has definitely been trending upward in the last few years.

Yes, mostly due to House.  Dude was basically a QC coach and an assistant to an assistant coach his first stop in the NFL.  If he wants to be an NFL DC and eventually HC this is how it's done.  Same path that many DCs have taken that came from college.  Most obvious one that immediately comes to mind is Matt Eberflus.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Yes, mostly due to House.  Dude was basically a QC coach and an assistant to an assistant coach his first stop in the NFL.  If he wants to be an NFL DC and eventually HC this is how it's done.  Same path that many DCs have taken that came from college.  Most obvious one that immediately comes to mind is Matt Eberflus.

Money for asst coaches in the NCAA in 2008 and today is like night and day.  It made sense back in the day.

38 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Well it seems he'll actually be staying at Kentucky.  Wonder why he would do that?  Hm.

Who knows, maybe he decided he didn't want to uproot his family. Still don't believe it would be a demotion, and if he was considering it he must  not have either.

8 minutes ago, tges58 said:

Who knows, maybe he decided he didn't want to uproot his family. Still don't believe it would be a demotion, and if he was considering it he must  not have either.

Going from a DC back to a positional coach is a demotion and I doubt the job was ever really under consideration.  This was a textbook example on how to leverage an offer for a raise.

He's got more money in his pocket now and is on the verge of becoming a Head Coach.  Anyhow, I think the Chiefs will be fine if the other hires stick and it seems they were already preparing for this.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Going from a DC back to a positional coach is a demotion and I doubt the job was ever really under consideration.  This was a textbook example on how to leverage an offer for a raise.

He's got more money in his pocket now and is on the verge of becoming a Head Coach.

Well I'm sure you have the inside scoop on what really happened.

12 minutes ago, tges58 said:

Uh huh.

Well anyhow, if the job were a promotion or a lateral move the Chiefs would be announcing this hire in pretty short order as salary wasn't going to a hurdle for the Clark.  Coaches on the NCAA level leverage jobs they have no intention of ever taking for more $$$$ all the time.  It is what is is and believe whatever you want, I really don't care either way m8

Coaches on the college level are turning down NFL gigs anymore because the NFL isn't the most desirable landing spot for everyone anymore.  Some coaches are happy on that level and would consider the pros a step down.  It happens.

53 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Ohhh idk...A large raise mayb

If Stoops has another year like last season I wouldn't be surprised to see some major college like Texas or UCLA(just examples) come calling with a big stack of money. Maybe they told House he could be a head coach in waiting.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Well it seems he'll actually be staying at Kentucky.  Wonder why he would do that?  Hm.

From Ian Rapoport:

My understanding is, #Kentucky was originally slated to negotiate the buyout for Matt House to be the #Chiefs LBs coach... then decided against it. Was told House wanted to be in KC. Position open once again.”

Sonds like he wants to go to KC, but UK blocked it.

26 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

From Ian Rapoport:

My understanding is, #Kentucky was originally slated to negotiate the buyout for Matt House to be the #Chiefs LBs coach... then decided against it. Was told House wanted to be in KC. Position open once again.”

Sonds like he wants to go to KC, but UK blocked it.

Those bastages.

Archived