Chiefs hiring Kentucky's D coordinator as LB coach...again

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

From Ian Rapoport:

My understanding is, #Kentucky was originally slated to negotiate the buyout for Matt House to be the #Chiefs LBs coach... then decided against it. Was told House wanted to be in KC. Position open once again.”

Sonds like he wants to go to KC, but UK blocked it.

There goes the theory it was a demotion or leverage.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

From Ian Rapoport:

My understanding is, #Kentucky was originally slated to negotiate the buyout for Matt House to be the #Chiefs LBs coach... then decided against it. Was told House wanted to be in KC. Position open once again.”

Sonds like he wants to go to KC, but UK blocked it.

I already didn’t like Kentucky. This just adds fuel to the fire.  House is trapped in the minor leagues.  Oh well.  

9 hours ago, Balto said:

Don’t get it...if Chiefs really wanted him wouldn’t Veach just say leave and we will pay the fine in your Kentucky contract?

the buyout could be a ton of money, who knows.  They may not want to pay that much for a LB coach.  

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Will not look good for them in the future too doing this, this way.

Exactly. I can understand them blocking a move to Alabama I guess.  But this is like claiming a practice squad player off another team to me. Your elevating your coaching status to the premier league of the sport. It should be a given in any contract. 

Yeah no way was this what he wanted.   Everyone knows that you can have a good year or two at a university like Kentucky but you can't do it long term at a place like that so you have to get while the getting is good.   Yeah definitely not a good look for the University forcing a guy to stay who wasn't even heading to a conference opponent or other FBS school.   Oh well, I'm sure we will figure it out!

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Considering they decided to keep him after the negotiations the terms must be too steep for the Chiefs. I was really hoping for this one as it looked nothing but great on paper. 

The buyout is being reported at 150k.  I doubt that was the issue.  

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is they are giving him a nice raise and telling him he is the heir apparent when Stoops inevitably gets a HC offer at a bigger school.

This whole thing is fishy...

not a big College follower.. so you think thats  inevitable?

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is they are giving him a nice raise and telling him he is the heir apparent when Stoops inevitably gets a HC offer at a bigger school.

This whole thing is fishy...

I did read an article where it was speculated by the author that Kentucky is spinning this to make it look like they are the bad guys in this instead of him turning down KC.   

The guy has been in coaching for 18 years and except for the 4 years he spent in the NFL its an been at the college level.  It's been 7 years since he has been in the NFL so its not like he was itching to get back to the NFL.   It's possible he just prefers the college game and atmosphere to the pros.  The money at the collegiate level is getting close to the pros so it's not as big as factor as it was once was.  He could have easily had a change of heart after stepping back and thinking about it.  It's also very possible of what you suggested cause if Stoops keeps doing what he is doing at Kentucky another school is going to come calling especially with his lineage which would put House in position to get that job. 

2 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

I did read an article where it was speculated by the author that Kentucky is spinning this to make it look like they are the bad guys in this instead of him turning down KC.   

The guy has been in coaching for 18 years and except for the 4 years he spent in the NFL its an been at the college level.  It's been 7 years since he has been in the NFL so its not like he was itching to get back to the NFL.   It's possible he just prefers the college game and atmosphere to the pros.  The money at the collegiate level is getting close to the pros so it's not as big as factor as it was once was.  He could have easily had a change of heart after stepping back and thinking about it.  It's also very possible of what you suggested cause if Stoops keeps doing what he is doing at Kentucky another school is going to come calling especially with his lineage which would put House in position to get that job. 

Well hell if they blocked this guy then why not block Stoops too? Who knows but it is a weird situation for sure.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

not a big College follower.. so you think thats  inevitable?

I honestly dont know. I mean hes had the program on an upward trajectory. They finished 11th overall in the final regular season standings.

They hadnt finished with a winning record since 2009, and they've done that 3 yrs in a row. They hadnt had a team nationally ranked since 2007. This is the type of stuff that gets coaches recognized.

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

You want  lower stress and a lot fewer hours you will coach in college.  If your goal is to coach at the highest level without all the nonsense college coaches deal with, a jump like this is a no brainer.  Sounds like he knew that.  

Archived