Chiefs hiring Kentucky's D coordinator as LB coach...again

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I honestly dont know. I mean hes had the program on an upward trajectory. They finished 11th overall in the final regular season standings.

They hadnt finished with a winning record since 2009, and they've done that 3 yrs in a row. They hadnt had a team nationally ranked since 2007. This is the type of stuff that gets coaches recognized.

He has another season like this and the big boys will come calling for sure.  But he’s in a perfect place if he wants job security without much pressure.  His contract automatically gets extended 1 year for every 7 win season.  Imagine that deal in the NFL!  On the other hand imagine coaching at a school you have no chance to win a Title like Kentucky.  The college game is a somewhat odd world.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 2/9/2019 at 4:32 AM, liquidfriend said:

It's a demotion

It might be a demotion if you strictly look at position of authority in an organizational chart. My analogy is to a 5 carrot quartz vs a 1 carrot diamond.  Being a positional coach in the Nfl is more valuable career wise than a coordinator position in college. 

5 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

It might be a demotion if you strictly look at position of authority in an organizational chart. My analogy is to a 5 carrot quartz vs a 1 carrot diamond.  Being a positional coach in the Nfl is more valuable career wise than a coordinator position in college. 

I don't think so.  I think going from Kentucky coordinator to an NFL coordinator is a boost, but not from coordinator to positional coach.

Being a positional coach in the NFL is only valuable if you had a cup of coffee with Sean McVay.

14 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think so.  I think going from Kentucky coordinator to an NFL coordinator is a boost, but not from coordinator to positional coach.

Being a positional coach in the NFL is only valuable if you had a cup of coffee with Sean McVay.

You are entitled to your opinion but obviously House doesn't agee.

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Man he really wanted that demotion for him and his family, didnt he? Fought for it.

Likely the case of a guy who loves football but hates recruiting.  I’d much rather be a pro position coach than have to kiss ass to 17 year olds and their parents.   

Can we put to rest this "it's a demotion" bullshit?  If he wants to be an NFL defensive coordinator, here's the facts:  every single one of the current NFL defensive coordinators has prior experience as an NFL position coach.  And all of the current coordinators but Greg Schiano (Pats) were hired for their first Coordinator position directly from being an NFL defensive position coach the year before. 

Please note however Schiano has been a position coach, and we all know who the real coordinator is there.

So if he wants to make it in the pros, and it appears that he does, there really is no other path forward right now for him.

So no more demotion bullshit.  

Doesn't his wife have KC ties?   Don't ever discount the power a wife has in regards to where she wants to live.   We have a great situation here with some talent on D with a bad DC so there is a great opportunity for progress which would only further his career and an O that could mask some deficiencies and if momma wants to be in KC......happy wife......happy life!     Its the reason Saban is in Tuscaloosa.   So regardless of if it is or isn't (I don't think it is...at least not at Kentucky) a demotion, if the man wants to be here then I'm glad he's here.    Seems like a possible DC down the road which is always nice to have bright minds on staff.   Welcome Mr. House!   Please help our LB corp!

On 2/12/2019 at 1:30 AM, liquidfriend said:

Career progression wise, if the guy wants to be a head coach in the NFL, this was a good move. He has to perform well. More prestige as well.

11 hours ago, xen said:

Can we put to rest this "it's a demotion" bullshit?  If he wants to be an NFL defensive coordinator, here's the facts:  every single one of the current NFL defensive coordinators has prior experience as an NFL position coach.  And all of the current coordinators but Greg Schiano (Pats) were hired for their first Coordinator position directly from being an NFL defensive position coach the year before. 

Please note however Schiano has been a position coach, and we all know who the real coordinator is there.

So if he wants to make it in the pros, and it appears that he does, there really is no other path forward right now for him.

So no more demotion bullshit.  

Calm your tits Xen. Sheesh. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, Lamardirts said:

Doesn't his wife have KC ties?   Don't ever discount the power a wife has in regards to where she wants to live.   We have a great situation here with some talent on D with a bad DC so there is a great opportunity for progress which would only further his career and an O that could mask some deficiencies and if momma wants to be in KC......happy wife......happy life!     Its the reason Saban is in Tuscaloosa.   So regardless of if it is or isn't (I don't think it is...at least not at Kentucky) a demotion, if the man wants to be here then I'm glad he's here.    Seems like a possible DC down the road which is always nice to have bright minds on staff.   Welcome Mr. House!   Please help our LB corp!

Absolutely, regarding the wife and KC.  From what I have heard, this is a great hire.  I'm pumped.  Our D is back on the rise without Sutton and now with Spags and this guy. A lot of our young guys developing.  More draft picks.  Looks very hopeful.

Archived