Chiefs hiring Kentucky's D coordinator as LB coach...again

There is usually more to the story and this is a prime example.

I am excited at how this staff is coming together. This past year we all wanted to see how PHII would perform steering the ship and he delivered big time! I believe the kind of upgrade between Alex and Pat is the kind of upgrade we will see from Sutton to Spags. That doesn't mean we will have an all world defense in 2019. But I think what it does mean is we will see the defense elevated a couple of notches. Enough to put us over the hump.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dhitter said:

There is usually more to the story and this is a prime example.

I am excited at how this staff is coming together. This past year we all wanted to see how PHII would perform steering the ship and he delivered big time! I believe the kind of upgrade between Alex and Pat is the kind of upgrade we will see from Sutton to Spags. That doesn't mean we will have an all world defense in 2019. But I think what it does mean is we will see the defense elevated a couple of notches. Enough to put us over the hump.

An average defense is more than enough to win the SB. With the way they are putting up the coaching staff I think it's very doable as early as 2019 with Spags running the show. He has a history of overachieving with the talent he has. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

An average defense is more than enough to win the SB. With the way they are putting up the coaching staff I think it's very doable as early as 2019 with Spags running the show. He has a history of overachieving with the talent he has. 

Our offense, home field and Andy’s mastery of divisional opponents is enough minus major injuries to get us one of the top four seeds no matter what defense does. If that group can elevate their game in January as Spags has shown he can get his defense to do, we have a legit chance to take home the Lombardi.  We don’t need instant results, we just need a plan to get us there when it matters next year. That seems realistic. 

52 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Our offense, home field and Andy’s mastery of divisional opponents is enough minus major injuries to get us one of the top four seeds no matter what defense does. If that group can elevate their game in January as Spags has shown he can get his defense to do, we have a legit chance to take home the Lombardi.  We don’t need instant results, we just need a plan to get us there when it matters next year. That seems realistic. 

And yet I believe we will see marked improvement quickly in 2019. Maybe I am being naive but I really feel that not only was Sutton misusing the players he had but the scheme as a whole had gotten stale and predictable. If nothing else, if the Chiefs cut down on penalties and tackle better they will see improvement. Add in a better scheme, better staff and some fresh talent...it will show up big time on Sunday.

24 minutes ago, dhitter said:

And yet I believe we will see marked improvement quickly in 2019. Maybe I am being naive but I really feel that not only was Sutton misusing the players he had but the scheme as a whole had gotten stale and predictable. If nothing else, if the Chiefs cut down on penalties and tackle better they will see improvement. Add in a better scheme, better staff and some fresh talent...it will show up big time on Sunday.

I agree that’s very possible depending on how much turnover we have. We were  inept defensively against good offenses and getting crucial stops just never happened. Spags ability to show regular season improvement there would bode really well for our chances in January.  I guess from my perspective I don’t think we even need this big jump in defensive rankings although it would be nice to have. 

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Looking at last season, it is obvious that all we need to dominate football is a defense that can get us two more three-and-outs per game

If Spags gets us in the middle if the pack for ppg by the defense we win a hell of a lot more games. We were 24th ranked in points given up. Imagine us being 15th and those close games then go our way. Of course thet will mean we get better in yards given up so so we get to 18-20 range next year in that. That is over 10 spots better than this year which can be done easily with just a new coach that utilizes our guys correctly and adjust in game. Sutton never did this. 

Nice to see the optimism, but there's still the little fact that the Chiefs have to come up with some quality DBs.  In a perfect world, Berry would come back 100% and Watts and Lucas would complement him.  History has shown that for the Chiefs safeties, the world is seldom perfect.  Even then, they have to find one starting CB and probably two.  I like the way things are shaking out, but no DC can create an effective defense without the tools. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Nice to see the optimism, but there's still the little fact that the Chiefs have to come up with some quality DBs.  In a perfect world, Berry would come back 100% and Watts and Lucas would complement him.  History has shown that for the Chiefs safeties, the world is seldom perfect.  Even then, they have to find one starting CB and probably two.  I like the way things are shaking out, but no DC can create an effective defense without the tools. 

It really depends on the amount of turnover we have and the number of 2019 draft picks we will count on to quickly produce. Should be noted that in both of Spags legit runs as a DC, he saw dramatic improvement in both, but not until year two. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

It really depends on the amount of turnover we have and the number of 2019 draft picks we will count on to quickly produce. Should be noted that in both of Spags legit runs as a DC, he saw dramatic improvement in both, but not until year two. 

Dramatic improvement will help us win our 3rd SB in back to back wins then. We just need to improve a but on defense and if we see that we can see a win next year. Then he improves even more in year 2 will just out icing in the cake. I would love for us to be the first team to win 3 in a row!

Impressive praise for the new d staff from a guy who really knows his stuff  Andy’s 2002 group was unreal!

Nick Jacobs

They put together the best defensive coaching staff this franchise has had since the early 90s with Marty. This will arguably be the best defensive coaching staff Andy has had since 2002

Andy’s 2002 defensive staff included DC Jim Johnson DL Tommy Brasher LB Ron Rivera DB Leslie Frazier DB/Secondary: Steve Spagnuolo Defensive Quality Control: Sean McDermott Special Teams: John Harbaugh ST/ Quality Control: Dave Toub

47 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

You mean holtus?

Under Reid’s guidance, Chiefs DL Chris Jones earned the AFC’s Defensive Player of the Month award for the month of October last season and had an NFL record streak of 11 consecutive games with at least 1.0 sack. 

Article was attributed to Chiefs PR department.  The total piece was about the final make up of the coaching staff for this year and this was in the part about Britt Reid.  

37 minutes ago, xen said:

Meh several coaches have their kids on staff, including Belichick.  Frankly, coaches kids can make good coaches if their dedicated.  Hell look at San Fran.  For what he had to work with, Britt did a decent job with the line.

Marty's boy is still coaching

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Marty's boy is still coaching

Yep

Brian Schottenheimer 

Wade Phillips

Mike Shula

Jim Mora Jr

Mike Nolan

Rex and Rob Ryan

Kyle Shanahan

Lane Kiffin

etc...

This is not a new phenomenon with Andy Reid.  There's a ton of college HCs with their kid on staff as well.  Lot of gym rats and film room junkies among coach's kids. Not necessarily a bad thing if they have the passion for the job and the teaching chops to do it.

8 hours ago, xen said:

Meh several coaches have their kids on staff, including Belichick.  Frankly, coaches kids can make good coaches if their dedicated.  Hell look at San Fran.  For what he had to work with, Britt did a decent job with the line.

Not saying Britt isn't capable or even outstanding and there's nothing wrong with a HC giving his kid a shot.  I just found it funny that the Chiefs PR department had to point out an accomplishment of Britt's and used Jones to make a point. 

21 hours ago, xen said:

Yep

Brian Schottenheimer 

Wade Phillips

Mike Shula

Jim Mora Jr

Mike Nolan

Rex and Rob Ryan

Kyle Shanahan

Lane Kiffin

etc...

This is not a new phenomenon with Andy Reid.  There's a ton of college HCs with their kid on staff as well.  Lot of gym rats and film room junkies among coach's kids. Not necessarily a bad thing if they have the passion for the job and the teaching chops to do it.

Don't forget the great Deuce Gruden!!

Archived