free-agent safeties as a potential fit for Chiefs

Ask a Chiefs fan what area the team should try and improve this offseason and chances are they’ll say the defense.

The Chiefs ranked 31st in total yards and passing allowed and 24th in points allowed, and that led to the team firing defensive coordinator Bob Sutton at season’s end.

Steve Spagnuolo was hired as the new defensive coordinator, and that’s one reason why Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network thinks free-agent safety Earl Thomas’ likely landing place is with the Chiefs.

“Eric Berry’s time in Kansas City might be done after this past season and all these injures, the Achilles that he had to work through,” Garafolo said on the NFL Network.

Steve Spagnuolo, the new defensive coordinator in Kansas City, for as much as we talked about what they were able to do up front with Spags when he was the coordinator with the Giants, when he’s got a safety that can cover ground, remember Kenny Phillips, what he was able to do with him before Phillips unfortunately got hurt, having Earl Thomas, that would be a really, really good addition and would change the back end of that defense like that.”

Gil Brandt, who is Garafolo’s colleague at NFL Media, thinks another free-agent safety could be a good fit with the Chiefs: Tyrann Mathieu, who played last season with the Texans after five seasons as an Arizona Cardinal.

Brandt believes Berry and Mathieu could make a great tandem.

“The veteran tied a career high with 89 tackles while dispelling durability concerns, starting 16 games for a second straight season, and chipping in three sacks and two picks,” Brandt wrote of Mathieu. “As a playmaking presence whose competitiveness stands out, Mathieu would slot nicely into the Chiefs’ secondary. He’d team well with veteran safety Eric Berry on a Kansas City defense that ranked 31st overall and against the pass last season.”

I love the idea of Berry and Thomas playing together healthy.  I don't love the idea of basically our entire 2019 season resting on the shoulders of two elite, opt injured, players.   We don't need the Ravens D to win the SB we need an upgrade over what we had last year with better fundamentals.  So while I love me some Earl Thomas, at this point I've changed my mind about him being our big FA acquisition. 

Yeah we all knew we had issues at safety and to take another project the year after you drafted another project for the same position was head scratching but again it goes back to no one knew we would be that good this year.   Sucks but Speaks could turn out to be a valuable player in Spags D and like others said we have PMII so all is good in Chiefslandia!

Landon Collins said, via his own Twitter, everything left in his locker he doesn't need.  Sounds like he's on the way out.  The Colts are going to throw real money at him ($107M in cap space) if he hits the market.  Wouldn't make it a given he ends up in KC, but with Spags here we probably have the inside track.

7 hours ago, dhitter said:

Collins could very well get the franchise tag and that would be that. I was fairly certain the Giants were headed that direction...locker cleaned out or not.

Uhhhh no.  The CBA clearly says if you can get your locker cleaned out of all the stuff you want to keep, then the team can't place the tag on you.  It's the "Can't find me, can't tag me" clause in Subsection 23 c (1).

On 2/21/2019 at 7:22 AM, xen said:

He should have more respect for the cleaning crew.  Now I don't want him here.

He defintely didn't play his college ball at West Point. They are infamous for leaving spotless locker rooms on the road. 

On 2/22/2019 at 9:58 PM, Lamardirts said:

The Saints just cut Kurt Coleman.  Not sure if he would be an option but he's available now.

Don't know if there are injury concerns with him as they just signed him last year but I thought he did well over here. Definitely one of the better price/performance Safeties out there, wouldn't mind giving him a cheap deal to replace Murray/Sorensen.

Archived