Semo's 2019 Offseason

SEMO

2019 Chiefs Offseason (2/17/19)

Cuts:

Justin Houston $14MM cap savings ($7.1MM dead money)

Dan Sorenson $2.7MM cap savings ($2MM dead money)

Reggie Ragland $1.25MM cap savings ($0 dead money)

Xavier Williams $2.55MM cap savings ($.875MM dead money)

Sign:

Dee Ford 4yr/$56MM

KJ Wright 2yr/$15MM

Bryce Callahan 4yr/28MM

Minimum deals:

Anthony Sherman

Demetrius Harris

Jordon Devey

Harrison Butker (ER)

Marcus Kemp (ER)

Jordan Lucas (tender)

Extend:

Tyreek Hill  5yr/$95MM

Draft:

1 – Nasir Adderley S Delaware  5’11” 200lbs

2 – Charles Omenihu DE/DT Texas  6’6” 275lbs

2 – Elgton Jenkins C Miss St  6’4” 304lbs

3 – Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple  6’1” 190lbs

5 – Isaiah Johnson CB Houston  6’2” 195lbs

6 – Keelan Doss WR UC Davis  6’3” 209lbs

6 (projected comp) – Greg Gaines DT Washington  6’1” 322lbs

7 – Daniel Helm TE Duke  6’4” 255lbs

I think the free agent numbers are low on all 3 outside free agents. I love the Wright signing though.

Callahan was purely a slot guy in Chicago and is an ideal fit there. We have that spot locked down. When they kicked Fuller inside to slot and worked Ward into the lineup, he excelled just as he did in the slot in Washington. I think they need to be looking for a bigger outside corner.

Love the draft too. Although I think if Ya-Sin test well in Indy hes highly unlikely to be there at the end of rd 3. Hes a little raw but has a drool worthy size, speed, ceiling combo.

Dont forget to cut that bum Eric Murray too. Frees up 2 mill.

Ya-sin will probably go higher.  But, he is raw and really only had one year of decent competition.

They probably keep Ford under the tag for the year.  But, with a pretty loaded EDGE market, they might get him signed at a discount if they decide to negotiate a long term deal.  Depends if any others get tagged.

Disagree on Adderley.  He might be gone before 29.  He has some of the best tape that I have watched in a while.  Don’t care what the level of competition is.  

I would look to extend Jones before worrying about Hill. Both should be signed but DT has clear priority over WR IMO. 

I'm not sure if Callahan would be a good fit here. He's a slot guy who never played a season without injury. I would definitely look to add him if he was playing outside but I think Fuller should be our slot guy going forward.

Wright for that price is a steal I would jump all over but I think it's going to get more to get him both duration and amount-wise. 

I don't like the idea of any sort of extension for Ford. The only way I want him in KC is under the tag for a year, no need to take the risk of a long term deal. 

I like the draft in general, not sure if some of the names will last but one never knows prior to the draft. I would release Murray (2 million in savings) as well. 

Update:

2019 Chiefs Offseason (3/06/19)

Cut:

Dan Sorenson

Reggie Ragland

Xavier Williams

Eric Murray

Trade:

Justin Houston – Trade to the NY Jets for a 2020 conditional 4th round pick

The Jets have $99MM in cap space and can easily absorb Houston’s final 2 contract years. 

Tag:

Dee Ford – Trade to Indianapolis for a 2019 2nd round pick (34)

Indy has $106MM in cap space and can easily give Ford a long term deal.  They can still get a top Corner with pick 26.

Sign:

Landon Collins  5yr/$50MM

Preston Smith  4yr/45MM

Jay Ajayi  1yr/3MM

Minimum deals:

Anthony Sherman

Demetrius Harris

Jordon Devey

Harrison Butker (ER)

Marcus Kemp (ER)

Jordan Lucas (tender)

Extend:

Tyreek Hill  5yr/$95MM

Draft:

1 – Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple  6’0” 192lbs

2 (from Indy) – Kahale Warring TE San Diego St  6’5” 252lbs

2 – Germaine Pratt LB NC State  6’2” 240lbs

2 –Andy Isabella WR UMass  5’09” 188lbs

3 – Connor McGovern G/C Penn St  6’5” 308lbs

5 – Dontavius Russell DT Auburn  6’3” 319lbs

6 – Darius West S Kentucky  5’11” 208lbs

6 (comp) – Nick Brossette RB LSU  5’11” 209lbs

7 – Rashad Fenton CB South Carolina  5’11” 193lbs

6 minutes ago, SEMO said:

He’s day to day.  We’ll see how it goes.

Heh. 

I think the thing with Collins is having him and Berry makes one of them redundant and signing Collins would certainly mean they are releasing Berry, but I don't think they're going to do it.  If they're going to sign a big money FA, I think Earl Thomas is more likely to happen.

Collins can play in the box, leaving Berry as the coverage safety.  He is supposed to be great at covering TEs, ya know.  

Berry has a year, at most, here anyway.  Might as well get a jump on it now.  I would be fine with Thomas, though.

18 hours ago, Calichief said:

Couldn’t get in position on gronk when everyone saw it coming. Not even sure what berry can do anymore.

Then they need to cut his ass.  Either way, I'm betting they sign Collins.  Spags is probably pushing for it.

5 hours ago, SEMO said:

Then they need to cut his ass.  Either way, I'm betting they sign Collins.  Spags is probably pushing for it.

Just my opinion: but if you rewatch that game berry was a non factor and was targeted. If he’s healthy maybe it goes different. 

Update:

2019 Chiefs Offseason (3/14/19)

Cut:

Justin Houston

Dan Sorenson

Reggie Ragland

Xavier Williams

Eric Murray

Tag:

Dee Ford – Trade to San Francisco for a 2020 2nd round pick

Sign:

Carlos Hyde (1yr/2.8MM)

Tyrann Mathieu (3yr/42MM)

Damien Wilson (1yr/??)

Ronald Darby

Minimum deals:

Anthony Sherman

Demetrius Harris

Jordon Devey

Harrison Butker (ER)

Marcus Kemp (ER)

Jordan Lucas (tender)

Extend:

Tyreek Hill  5yr/$100MM

Draft

2 (from Jacksonville) - Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple  6’0” 192lbs

With all of the pass rushers and corners gone by pick 29, Veach trades back to pick 38 with the Jags and gets pick 95, as well.  This is a good spot to take Ya-Sin and get another 3rd rounder.

2 – Jaylon Ferguson DE Louisiana Tech  6’4” 256lbs

A sack machine at Tech.  A little stiff, but has quick first step to get around the edge, similar to Ford.  Not a liability against the run.

2 –Andy Isabella WR UMass  5’09” 188lbs

Another speed receiver, who routinely de-cleats defenders.  Polished route runner, great hands.  Track speed and play speed.

3 – Amani Hooker S/CB Iowa  6’0” 210lbs

Versatile Safety, makes plays all over the field vs. run and pass.  Strong Safety is probably his best position.  Depth, that could work his way into a starter.

3 (from Jacksonville) -  Dawson Knox TE Ole Miss  6’4” 250lbs

Seldom used in Ole Miss’ poor excuse for an offense.  Has the intangibles, and needs some development, but the talent is there.

5 – Dontavius Russell DT Auburn  6’3” 319lbs

6 – Darius West S Kentucky  5’11” 208lbs

6 (comp) – Nick Brossette RB LSU  5’11” 209lbs

7 – Rashad Fenton CB South Carolina  5’11” 193lbs

I like the trade and have been thinking that way for a while.  Only complaint is that the Chiefs need another LB and maybe the safety should be a more typical free safety.  I'd priortize a third round RB over  back up TE.  That's just nit picking on my part.

It's nearly impossible to do a mock draft at this point until we see if the Chiefs sign a FA CB like Darby and what other moves Veach might make for an EDGE or other position.

49 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I like the trade and have been thinking that way for a while.  Only complaint is that the Chiefs need another LB and maybe the safety should be a more typical free safety.  I'd priortize a third round RB over  back up TE.  That's just nit picking on my part.

It's nearly impossible to do a mock draft at this point until we see if the Chiefs sign a FA CB like Darby and what other moves Veach might make for an EDGE or other position.

Honey Badger is your free safety.  Hooker is fine.

We could always draft Johnathan Abram.  Between him and HB, WE WOULD KILL ALL THE THINGS!!!

6 minutes ago, xen said:

We could always draft Johnathan Abram.  Between him and HB, WE WOULD KILL ALL THE THINGS!!!

really?  other than just a mindless ball carrier destruction missile..almost more LB than a safety ..maybe very late rounder?

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/johnathan-abram

6 hours ago, xen said:

We'll see, but I think HB is directly replacing Berry.

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

really?  other than just a mindless ball carrier destruction missile..almost more LB than a safety ..maybe very late rounder?

Everytime I received a dollar for reading a scouting report on a box guy being too aggressive, I'd have a lot of dollars by now.  As long as he is very receptive to coaching, I wouldn't worry.

This could be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think they're going to be in the Safety market come draft weekend without some changers on the roster currently.  Will be eliminating it from my next mock.

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That was a joke.  Both guys were known in college for just destroying people.

Abrams might be ok if he falls.  Sort of a Landon Collins, Jr.  

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of new scenarios I have been messing around with:

Draft-1

1(29) – Garrett Bradbury C NC State  6'3" 300lbs

Former TE.  He is the kind of center that Reid covets and is very much in the mold of Mitch Morse.  I don’t think they see Reiter as much more than a backup and seemed to have paid him that way.

2(34)(from Indianapolis) – Parris Campbell WR Ohio State 6’0” 205lbs

Trade picks 63 and a 2020 2nd round to Indy for pick 34.  Campbell tested off the charts at the combine, as expected.  He’s a little raw and mainly a slot guy coming out.  Reid will expand his game as he has the speed to get deep.  Needs more polish on route running.

2(61) – Juan Thornhill S Virginia  6’1” 195lbs

Solid all around.  Good tackler, good ball skills.

3 (94) – Savion Smith CB Alabama  6’1” 198lbs

Raw, press man corner.  Has the length teams look for, but should have returned to school to hone his skills.  He is worth the pick here to develop and should contribute year one.

5(141) – Ben Banogu EDGE TCU  6’4” 249lbs

Trade picks 168 and 216(7) to the Giants for pick 141.

6(201) – Terrill Hanks LB New Mexico State

6(214) (comp) – Thomas Sweeney TE Boston College  6’4” 251lbs

Draft-2

1(19)(from Tennessee) – Byron Murphy CB Washington

KC trades 29, 63, and a 2020 2nd round pick to Tennessee for 19 and 121(4).  If Veach can’t trade for a corner before the draft, then I think he will go up and get the one he wants in round 1.  Murphy is the only corner worthy of a round 1 pick this year.  Excels at press man and plays the run well.  Fits what Spags wants in a corner.  Doubt that he gets by Pitt or Sea.

2(61) – Juan Thornhill S Virginia  6’1” 195lbs

Solid all around.  Good tackler, good ball skills.

3(92) – Dawson Knox TE Ole Miss  6’4” 250lbs

Not much production at the college level, but that is attributed to the scheme at Ole Miss.  He has the traits to compete in the passing game and is a more than adequate run blocker.

4(121)(from Tennessee) – Anthony Nelson EDGE Iowa  6'7" 271lbs

Depth, who could develop into an early down EDGE, moving inside on passing downs. 

5(167) – Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson  5’10’ 180lbs

Poor man’s Andy Isabella, with GREAT hands.  Revered at Clemson for his clutch plays.  Ceiling is probably a WR3.

6(201) – Derrick Baity CB Kentucky  6’2” 186lbs

Probably see one Kentucky guy drafted.

6(214) - Terrill Hanks LB New Mexico State  6’2” 235lbs

Developmental linebacker.

7(216) – Mitch Hyatt OT/OG Clemson  6’5” 305lbs

Depth, projects better at guard.

Archived