Our Oline ? How to repair?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If everyone could stay healthy, I think one interior lineman could make them at least a little above average.  Fisher, LDT, and Schwartz are okay and Reiter showed he could play center.  The Chiefs need to draft a OG/C and one should be available in the third round or later. 

Yeah, definitely need a G to start and OT to develop. Just to much time in the hot tub and too little protection when playing. We were heathy for the Pats and still couldn’t protect up the middle. I think we have to bolster that line or Pat will take another 106 QB hits. 

58 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If everyone could stay healthy, I think one interior lineman could make them at least a little above average.  Fisher, LDT, and Schwartz are okay and Reiter showed he could play center.  The Chiefs need to draft a OG/C and one should be available in the third round or later. 

Reid always makes sure we draft an o-lineman.  Probably middle rounds.  We actually have a pretty deep line.  The backups got a lot of experience this last season.  It takes an O-lineman about 5 years to reach his peak.  Very, very few contribute much in the first year.  Still, I would not grade our O-line as a little above average.  Schwartz is one of the best if not THE best.  Morse is solid if we keep him. LDT is excellent.  Fisher rarely makes a whiff now that he has reached his peak.  I think most experts would rate us higher than a "little better than average." I agree with Marley, also. McKenzie will be able to contribute this year and keep getting better.  I am absolutely certain that the Chiefs are going to give their prize, Mahomes, both the protection and the run blocking to be safe and successful.

33 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Just saying only 6 teams or so let there QB get beat up like ours. We have something very special in Mahomes. No one on that line is excellent. The OTs are above average. Everyone else can be upgraded IMO. 

I must be missing something...Mahomes was bottom third in the league in both sacks and hits.  We have the highest rated RT in the league and our center has allowed 2 pressures in his last 28 games played.  

35 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Just saying only 6 teams or so let there QB get beat up like ours. We have something very special in Mahomes. No one on that line is excellent. The OTs are above average. Everyone else can be upgraded IMO. 

At least part of that though is because we run deeper routes than most teams.  IE We ask a lot from our oline. That said I think LDT helps a lot and there’s considerable potential with McKenzie.  

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Center is a FA that has concussion issues. We need a C imo because I would not over pay to keep Morse due to his injuries.

Didn they sign Reiter to an extension? I'm thinking he'll be the starter if Morse isn't re-signed.

50 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Mitchell Schwartz is just above avg?  Ok.   We were ranked 13th by PFF with half of our Oline injured for the entire year pretty much.   We easily rank top 10 if not for that and our QB likes to improvise, sometimes too much.   I don't think Mahomes took too many hard shots last year and we tossed the ball around a lot.

I'm I the only one who would like to have Erving as a back up. The guy had 12 penalties, the same amount that Morse,Allen,Rieter,LDT had combined. Add my guess would be he gave up the most pressures/sacks from the gaurd/center positions.

53 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Mitchell Schwartz is just above avg?  Ok.   We were ranked 13th by PFF with half of our Oline injured for the entire year pretty much.   We easily rank top 10 if not for that and our QB likes to improvise, sometimes too much.   I don't think Mahomes took too many hard shots last year and we tossed the ball around a lot.

Yeah some of the stuff Im reading is pretty head scratching. Especislly the guy talking about needing to replace Morse like he is some kind of weak link. And Schwartz was just an average, run of the mill all pro. Thats all. 

I also dont understand how fans talk as if Austin Reiter isnt on the roster. The dude didnt just fill in, he was grading out as a top 10 center while he played.

We were 5th in the league in sacks given up and had an offense anong the best the game has ever seen. But somehow our line is broken. 

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Reid always makes sure we draft an o-lineman.  Probably middle rounds.  We actually have a pretty deep line.  The backups got a lot of experience this last season.  It takes an O-lineman about 5 years to reach his peak.  Very, very few contribute much in the first year.  Still, I would not grade our O-line as a little above average.  Schwartz is one of the best if not THE best.  Morse is solid if we keep him. LDT is excellent.  Fisher rarely makes a whiff now that he has reached his peak.  I think most experts would rate us higher than a "little better than average." I agree with Marley, also. McKenzie will be able to contribute this year and keep getting better.  I am absolutely certain that the Chiefs are going to give their prize, Mahomes, both the protection and the run blocking to be safe and successful.

Hope you're right, but we have no idea what McKenzie can do or if he's ready.  Fiaher, LDT, and Schwartz are solid but the rest of the line is questionable.  They can get by with Erving, Reiter, and Wylie but just getting by isn't enough if the Chiefs are to protect Mahomes and lead in offense.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hope you're right, but we have no idea what McKenzie can do or if he's ready.  Fiaher, LDT, and Schwartz are solid but the rest of the line is questionable.  They can get by with Erving, Reiter, and Wylie but just getting by isn't enough if the Chiefs are to protect Mahomes and lead in offense.  

Wylie is going and still developing.  He showed promise.  I would be fine with him at LG next year.  He plays with a nasty demeanor too.

Reiter graded out as a top level center in his time as a starter.  

I'd like to see Mackenzie developed as a center.  At 6'3" 320 he would be a great anchor inside. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah some of the stuff Im reading is pretty head scratching. Especislly the guy talking about needing to replace Morse like he is some kind of weak link. And Schwartz was just an average, run of the mill all pro. Thats all. 

I also dont understand how fans talk as if Austin Reiter isnt on the roster. The dude didnt just fill in, he was grading out as a top 10 center while he played.

We were 5th in the league in sacks given up and had an offense anong the best the game has ever seen. But somehow our line is broken. 

I'm of the opinion of give the job to Reiter and move on.  Realistically our line is fairly set.  Morse is a FA who is a walking concussion and misses time like Brandon Albert.  I would like to add another guard to push the guys that are already there. 

We have lots of potential at the line but not as much production. It could be a coaching thing but I don't think we'll make any moves besides bringing in an OC if Reiter isn't the starter. Reid will obviously look for some talented guy with upside in the draft but that's just his routine.

The Chiefs just need some quality depth on OL.  Morse is probably gone which sucks because he hasn't allowed a sack in like 18 games or something like that.  He's going to get paid in FA and I don't think we should spend the $ on it just like when R. Hudson went into FA.  Reiter played very well while Morse was out and he will be the starting C next year.

11 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

I'm I the only one who would like to have Erving as a back up. The guy had 12 penalties, the same amount that Morse,Allen,Rieter,LDT had combined. Add my guess would be he gave up the most pressures/sacks from the gaurd/center positions.

I think that’s the plan with him. He can play every position on oline as backup and could eventually swing outside to tackle as a starter in the future.  He will compete for starting spot but I think they are biding time til LDT and they hope McKenzie can become fixtures inside.  

12 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I must be missing something...Mahomes was bottom third in the league in both sacks and hits.  We have the highest rated RT in the league and our center has allowed 2 pressures in his last 28 games played.  

Exactly. Not to mention he often hold on to ball longer in an effort to make plays. 

Archived