Looks like Dee Ford will get the Franchise Tag

Don't think it was ever a question about tagging Ford.  Opens up more options like trades, more time to sign longer contract and don't forget that the franchise tag can always be canceled.  KC could still go after Flowers but if they don't get him they still have Ford....IF they get him they can take back the tag and let Ford walk.

It's all about options

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well now either Houston restructures or he is gone imo. They want to have cap space and tagging Ford means Houston cap will be needed in some way. Trade, restructure or cut but we could use that cap.

Pretty sure they have plenty of cap room to keep Houston's contract like it is AND tag Ford.  I agree that something needs to give BUT they can afford it just fine if they wanted too.

I don't have a link because it was a secondary source but it said Nate Taylor of the Athletic is reporting its likely the Chiefs will release both Justin Houston and Daniel Sorenson saving 16.7 million in CAP space. I subscribe to the Athletic and can't find this story so do take it with a grain of salt. But I do not think it's made up. It could however just be his opinion on what will happen. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don't have a link because it was a secondary source but it said Nate Taylor of the Athletic is reporting its likely the Chiefs will release both Justin Houston and Daniel Sorenson saving 16.7 million in CAP space. I subscribe to the Athletic and can't find this story so do take it with a grain of salt. But I do not think it's made up. It could however just be his opinion on what will happen. 

I don't want to live in a world where Sorensen is a KC Chief in 2019. 

29 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

Fair enough, but I don't want to live in a world where JH50 ain't on the Chiefs' roster.

He's a gamer, makes plays when you need one. Reworking his deal would make me happy.

He's also a clearly declining player. He's simply not worth what we are supposed to pay him. If he takes a significant pay cut, I'd bring him back sure. 

35 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Crazy how getting ONE sack per game can be worth $18m a year. Yes, I get there are pressures,  hits, turnovers and all that jazz. But still mind blowing the value we place on athletes.  

And using the old analogy of how little we comparatively pay our teachers it does seem a bit alarming. But then you have to consider its much easier to become a teacher or pretty much anything else than it is to be a high level NFL player. 

Is anyone surprised that Ford gets the franchise tag?   This is the time of year when New England has its dumpster fire.   They get rid of stars and replace them with cheaper players.  Been to the superbowl  9 times using this theory.   Got to be something to it.   

I am a huge trey flowers fan. Also have massive respect for justin houston, although its either time to move on from him or restructure.

i already mentally released sorenson in my mind weeks ago.

If we replace houstin with trey flowers i would be down, he is basically a younger houston, smart, plays hard, and is a better pass rusher at this point in their careers.

Turn around and trade franchised Dee Ford for secondary help would be my plan

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Don't think it was ever a question about tagging Ford.  Opens up more options like trades, more time to sign longer contract and don't forget that the franchise tag can always be canceled.  KC could still go after Flowers but if they don't get him they still have Ford....IF they get him they can take back the tag and let Ford walk.

It's all about options

This is only true of Ford doesn't sign the tag, which he's already been quoted as saying he'll sign it immediately once it's placed on him.  Doesn't mean the Chiefs can't still trade him or negotiate a long-term contract extension, but - if true - will limit the Chiefs options vis-a-vis signing other FA contracts.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

Pretty sure they have plenty of cap room to keep Houston's contract like it is AND tag Ford.  I agree that something needs to give BUT they can afford it just fine if they wanted too.

And sign Jones or Hill too? If one of those guys is not signed to an extension this year which one do you use the tag in then next year? I rather get it all under control now than take any chances. We cut post 1 June for Houston we get 15.5. Sorensen is another 2.6 and Xavier Williams is 2.8. That is 20.9 million in cap space to resign one or both and the maybe a free agent or 2 also.

From the link. 18.7 million for Ford tag out of 24 to 25 million we have for cap space.

Should the franchise tag be placed on Ford, his 2019 salary would be somewhere around $18.7 million. The Chiefs are reported to have between $24 and $25 million in salary cap space in 2019, so it is likely that if Ford is given the franchise tag, the Chiefs will need to make some moves to free up cap space; it has previously been reported that signing deals with wide receiver Tyreek Hill and defensive lineman Chris Jones — along with Ford — will be a priority before the 2019 season.

51 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Is anyone surprised that Ford gets the franchise tag?   This is the time of year when New England has its dumpster fire.   They get rid of stars and replace them with cheaper players.  Been to the superbowl  9 times using this theory.   Got to be something to it.   

This is where I’m at. We’re tagging and overpaying a one dimensional player, whereas the team with the most Super Bowls does the complete opposite.  I’d let him roll on and take the comp pick. 

9 hours ago, Balto said:

It's all about options

I don't think we can cancel the tag if Ford signs the tender and it becomes guaranteed. We could have another Albert-type situation at hand but with worse cap ramifications. If you ask me we wouldn't go out paying Flowers big money if we haven't already traded Ford.

Assuming it’s Ford or Houston, I don’t agree with franchising Ford.  Houston is still the better overall player IMO; cutting Houston (7 mil dead cap hit) and franchising Ford (19 mil) is more expensive than just keeping Houston on his deal (21 mil) and letting Ford walk.

neither option is particularly advantageous long-term, so we're really just talking about the 2019 season here.  Maybe Houston is reworking his deal?  If not it doesn’t make much sense to me.  And there needs to be space for Speaks to grow.  Dee had a great year but I don’t trust that he’s a good bet.

15 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Assuming it’s Ford or Houston, I don’t agree with franchising Ford.  Houston is still the better overall player IMO; cutting Houston (7 mil dead cap hit) and franchising Ford (19 mil) is more expensive than just keeping Houston on his deal (21 mil) and letting Ford walk.

neither option is particularly advantageous long-term, so we're really just talking about the 2019 season here.  Maybe Houston is reworking his deal?  If not it doesn’t make much sense to me.  And there needs to be space for Speaks to grow.  Dee had a great year but I don’t trust that he’s a good bet.

Yeah I'm not sure if we have any long term answer in either guy as what we have is a 28-year old with considerable injury history vs 30-year old with considerable injury history. 

I would be wary of signing any Patriots player.  They don't seem to do as well once out of new England.  That said, I like flowers but he will be overpaid I would think.  Really good player but he's a 7 sack a year guy.  You really want to pay him like a double digit sack guy?

Archived