Odell Beckham jr

3 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Well, i may be in the minority here, but I do not think we need to spend much money on the offense!  We need to focus on getting our defense fixed primarily the back end!  

I see your point...with the D being horrible and all BUT I also think we have to remember what has made us so good!  Its the O!  I'd rather throw gas on that fire instead of shifting focus on D and watching the O get worse.

Beckham would take our O to a all time great level and with our new D coaching scheme/staff that side of the ball should improve enough to win a Super Bowl!

3 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

trtrading for OBJ would be the ultimate middle finger to tyreek hill

Sammy signing and paying him $20M wasn't?  If anything OBJ would allow Hill to play Reids Deep man with single coverage while OBJ is a much much better version of Watkins.

4 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Well, i may be in the minority here, but I do not think we need to spend much money on the offense!  We need to focus on getting our defense fixed primarily the back end!  

Completely agree. Value moves for a system type WR or cheap RB like Williams or backup tight end with potential would make sense. But if we do make any big moves, it needs to be on the defensive side. 

46 minutes ago, Balto said:

Sammy signing and paying him $20M wasn't?  If anything OBJ would allow Hill to play Reids Deep man with single coverage while OBJ is a much much better version of Watkins.

Quite the opposite. A WR to take pressure off Tyreek help set him up for the best season of his career. We signed Watkins to big money before we could possible pay Tyreek so it made total sense on all accounts. Trading valuable picks and paying another WR big money right as you enter contract negotiations with Tyreek makes no sense. Go draft Watkins replacement and we can keep payroll balance at WR. If we want a veteran WR find a cheap value guy in the Williams mode who fits our system. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Quite the opposite. A WR to take pressure off Tyreek help set him up for the best season of his career. We signed Watkins to big money before we could possible pay Tyreek so it made total sense on all accounts. Trading valuable picks and paying another WR big money right as you enter contract negotiations with Tyreek makes no sense. Go draft Watkins replacement and we can keep payroll balance at WR. If we want a veteran WR find a cheap value guy in the Williams mode who fits our system. 

So what if Sammy gets hurt again?  Heaven forbid say Hill gets banged up too...Now the only reason this team is winning, the O, becomes a question mark.  

I say you have to keep improving on O and if that means cutting ties with Sammy's contract and getting a weapon like OBJ to pair with Hill....So be it!  

OBJ's contract to who ever trades for him:

2019:  $17M Cap Hit

2020:  $14.250M Cap Hit

2021:  $15.750M Cap Hit

2022:  $15M Cap Hit

2023:  $15M Cap Hit

So you would get a top 3 WR for very good value and locked up for the next 5 YEARS!  You cut/trade Sammy post June 1 and OBJ would not hurt our cap much at all for 2019...After 2019 you have OBJ for $15m which is low enough Veach should still be able to pay Hill his money to keep both!

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Watkins wasn't signed to be the #1 WR...you think OBJ would be happy here being the #3 option behind Hill and Kelce?

2 hours ago, Balto said:

So what if Sammy gets hurt again?  Heaven forbid say Hill gets banged up too...Now the only reason this team is winning, the O, becomes a question mark.  

I say you have to keep improving on O and if that means cutting ties with Sammy's contract and getting a weapon like OBJ to pair with Hill....So be it!  

So you would get a top 3 WR for very good value and locked up for the next 5 YEARS!  You cut/trade Sammy post June 1 and OBJ would not hurt our cap much at all for 2019...After 2019 you have OBJ for $15m which is low enough Veach should still be able to pay Hill his money to keep both!

Watkins is going to get cut after 2019 because we don't want to pay anything near 40 million per season your talking about for Hill, Kelce and a number 2 WR. Plus you have to give up an early cheap draft pick you have under club control for 5 years. Plus you pay all that to inherit a guy who's been a cancer in the locker room. Honestly I think this would be a firable offense for Veach to make this type of move. 

9 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

No, I think you're in the majority.  The Chiefs lost four games, including a SB opportunity because the defense couldn't get a final stop in the last two minutes. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Watkins is going to get cut after 2019 because we don't want to pay anything near 40 million per season your talking about for Hill, Kelce and a number 2 WR. Plus you have to give up an early cheap draft pick you have under club control for 5 years. Plus you pay all that to inherit a guy who's been a cancer in the locker room. Honestly I think this would be a firable offense for Veach to make this type of move. 

All great points.  That’s why I’d be just as happy taking a WR with our 1st or 2nd this year.  Think it’s almost a must

Look at the production difference in the O when Sammy was healthy and when he was not.   He has fulfilled the role Veach had for him.   With Sammy in it was virtually impossible to stop this offense.  No way to doubleteam Tyreek and Kelce.   Conley was a disappointment in my opinion.   In any case,  we don't Odell Beckham and his Marcus Peters' routine in KC.

2 hours ago, Balto said:

All great points.  That’s why I’d be just as happy taking a WR with our 1st or 2nd this year.  Think it’s almost a must

I agree I’d be looking at WR with one of the two second rounders.  Makes a lot of sense if the right guy is there. I’d use one of the top three on offense.  

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree I’d be looking at WR with one of the two second rounders.  Makes a lot of sense if the right guy is there. I’d use one of the top three on offense.  

Do it next year.  The Chiefs have too many greater needs for starters on defense this year.  Sammy will play this fall.  Pringle can replace Conley. 

34 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Do it next year.  The Chiefs have too many greater needs for starters on defense this year.  Sammy will play this fall.  Pringle can replace Conley. 

Understand the logic, I just think between tight end, WR and RB we need to use at least one day two pick the help protect offense from injury in the short term and roster depletion beyond that. Andy's offense asks a ton from WRs and I doubt many rookies are capable of a big contribution. 

On 2/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, Balto said:

Balto, I read an article today that predicted Tyreek Hill will get a contract worth more than OB Jr. It would be insanely irresponsible to lock up $19 million per year for Hill and pay OB Jr what his contract is paid out. 

Heck, $36 million alone (2019 if Hill were extended this off-season) for 2 players on the same position group would account for about 18-20 percent of the cap. Bye-bye Chris Jones because the Chiefs couldn't afford it's best defensive player when they have to franchise tag Dee Ford. Between what Dee Ford will get paid, what Chris Jones will get paid, and what Tyreek Hill will get paid your talking 30% of the cap. Add in OB Jr and your looking at closer to 40% of the cap. Count in the dead money from Houston and Berry, and who the heck are the Chiefs going to sign to fill in the gaps on defense?

21 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

No way I would pick a WR in the first 4 / 5 rounds. DEFENSE & MORE DEFENSE

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

No way I would pick a WR in the first 4 / 5 rounds. DEFENSE & MORE DEFENSE

Understand your logic. But to me if we lose Conley and are a year from having to cut Watkins, it seems logical to look for a WR to protect offense now and in the future. That extra second round pick gives us some real flexibility. We also need a RB. But you could fill that with a cheaper free agent or 3rd-4th round pick. Or do the same with WR. TE also is in play if Harris isn't retained. In short this won't likely be another draft we only go with defense although I'd certainly expect our major moves to be on that side of the ball. 

Archived