Justin Houston film breakdown

25 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

This is great stuff. But I can summarize if someone doesn't feel like reading it...."He's too good to cut, and to expensive to keep."  Quite the conundrum.

https://theathletic.com/830517/2019/02/21/justin-houston-film-review-pass-rusher-expensive-to-keep-but-difficult-to-replace/?source=dailyemail

Maybe trade? I hope he restructures though and remembers what success tasted like this year.

I thought he really came on at the end of the season 5 sacks in the last 4 games and 2 in the playoffs. I don’t know what to do with him. Definitely over paid, but definitely a good play on a roster that is hurting for talent.

I think I would keep him over Berry. At least he plays. Berry played in 3 games wihich were all losses and we gave up an average of 35 points. Not all on him of course, but dispels the with that he elevated the D IMO.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

I thought he really came on at the end of the season 5 sacks in the last 4 games and 2 in the playoffs. I don’t know what to do with him. Definitely over paid, but definitely a good play on a roster that is hurting for talent.

I think I would keep him over Berry. At least he plays. Berry played in 3 games wihich were all losses and we gave up an average of 35 points. Not all on him of course, but dispels the with that he elevated the D IMO.

Considering he played 4 total games in 2 seasons yeah his impact in 2018 was not great. But also how players were out of position...how can one player impact a defense as a whole?

I think what many have overemphasized is that we are assuming we are doing a complete scheme overhaul. Spags has stated we will put a defense on the field that plays to strengths.  Houston probably is not gonna restructure. I also believe deals for Jones or hill will have a big bonus prorated over 5-6 years and be cap friendly in the first 2. Capwise and scheme wise, I do not think the chiefs should be in desperation mode. 

56 minutes ago, Jack Rabid said:

I doubt he can. He sucked on the right side in the 3-4. He always played on the left side. Even in college. It was dumb paying a guy that much money who doesn't even line up against the LT. 

JMO  if the rusher is on the left in or the right it makes no difference. A sack is a sack as is a pressure  or fumble..its about #'s not whom they are playing against

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

JMO  if the rusher is on the left in or the right it makes no difference. A sack is a sack as is a pressure  or fumble..its about #'s not whom they are playing against

I agree. I think that's an old narrative that doesn't apply anymore.  Heck the Chiefs best lineman is our RT. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree. I think that's an old narrative that doesn't apply anymore.  Heck the Chiefs best lineman is our RT. 

Yup, it's an archaic idea.  The left tackle was so important because it was protecting the blindside of the QB, but this is also referencing a time in which rules weren't as offense friendly as they are now, and offenses weren't spread and all over the field.  Putting your best pass rusher over the left tackle made since against Montana or Marino, but not Mahomes or Brady.  This definitely isn't your grandfather's NFL.  

The only reason LT is the better protector is because of the blind side but it has little to do with sack numbers. On the left side there's the better protector but on the right side there's the advantage of QB's vintage point, which makes up for the difference in protection most of the time. Not sure about the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if more sacks come from the blind side.

42 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Looks like he’ll get traded.

One real positive even if we get little in return is that we keep him away from divisional opponents. Our road to Miami starts with being able to continue our stranglehold over this division. Second part is improving defense to get past the elite teams which will be more challenging without Houston. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

One real positive even if we get little in return is that we keep him away from divisional opponents. Our road to Miami starts with being able to continue our stranglehold over this division. Second part is improving defense to get past the elite teams which will be more challenging without Houston. 

I love Houston. I’m a staunch supporter of his. But I’ve learned over the last few years while watching NE, that when it’s time to part ways, tough decisions have to be made to get better. As well as prepare for the future. I’ll wish him the best when it happens.

Archived