Chiefs Sign QB E.J Manuel and Others

Chiefs signed QB E.J. Manuel to a reserve/future contract.

Manuel spent 2018 out of the league after getting cut from Oakland. He joins Chad Henne as a veteran backup behind Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs also signed WR Sammie Coates, WR Davon Grayson, and DB Dontae Johnson to reserve/future deals.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

What does Henne cost?  He looked pretty good in pre season and for the small time he played. 

I thought like 4 million? 

Henne signed a two-year, $6.7 million deal with$5.115 million guaranteed. Henne's salary cap hits will be $2.605 million in 2018 and $4.095 million in 2019.Mar 19, 2018

With Andy’s ability to work without QBs is there really that much difference between Henne and Manuel?    I mean we brought in Henne as a vet to help Mahomes along.  Not sure he needs that anymore.   At this point we are going to have to be creative to gain  enough space to fix some deficiencies on D.    Besides Henne is never going to net us anything and Manuel probably won’t either but if we can tinker with a guy and make him attractive then we could potentially trade him.   I love that we aren’t being complacent. 

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

With Andy’s ability to work without QBs is there really that much difference between Henne and Manuel?    I mean we brought in Henne as a vet to help Mahomes along.  Not sure he needs that anymore.   At this point we are going to have to be creative to gain  enough space to fix some deficiencies on D.    Besides Henne is never going to net us anything and Manuel probably won’t either but if we can tinker with a guy and make him attractive then we could potentially trade him.   I love that we aren’t being complacent. 

Agree: 4 million hit is too much for Henne.

The Chiefs signed four players, the most intriguing of which is QB E.J. Manuel. has 18 starts in five NFL seasons with the Bills and Raiders. He's the fourth quarterback under contract to the Chiefs, joining Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne and Chase Litton.Among the others signed: former Steelers, Browns and Texans WR Sammie Coates and safety Dontae Johnson, who started 22 games in five seasons with the 49ers and Bills.

Wonder how Johnson does? Anyone know about him? Cant be worse than what we had out there last year in Parker and Murray etc.

28 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The Chiefs signed four players, the most intriguing of which is QB E.J. Manuel. has 18 starts in five NFL seasons with the Bills and Raiders. He's the fourth quarterback under contract to the Chiefs, joining Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne and Chase Litton.Among the others signed: former Steelers, Browns and Texans WR Sammie Coates and safety Dontae Johnson, who started 22 games in five seasons with the 49ers and Bills.

Wonder how Johnson does? Anyone know about him? Cant be worse than what we had out there last year in Parker and Murray etc.

He was drafted and has played his whole career as a CB. Idk where someone got the idea he was a safety. But good to have CB competition.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

I think Henne is cut to create more cap space. 

We only save 1.6 million so while it’s always possible, I think it’s unlikely.  We’ve got a Super Bowl caliber team and can’t risk a short term injury to Mahomes derailing entire season. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

We only save 1.6 million so while it’s always possible, I think it’s unlikely.  We’ve got a Super Bowl caliber team and can’t risk a short term injury to Mahomes derailing entire season. 

So Henne at 4 million is way better than Manuel? Not so sure he is. 1.6 is not chump change.

A couple interesting signings.  Obviously the Manual signing could save some money but we would have the same back up so I say make the switch. 

Dontae Johnson is interesting. A 6'2" corner who ran a 4.45 at the combine. Could be solid depth. 

Sammie Coates really interests me.  A day reciever with good size.  Does have some questionable hands. But he has always seemed like a sammy Watkins type player.  I like it.  

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

I think Henne is cut to create more cap space. 

I don't think so.  He is a viable backup who can keep the team in the running for several weeks if Mahomes goes down for awhile. The others can't. Plus, he has worked in the system with our players for an entire training camp and for all the practices between games last season. He is a smart guy who can still throw.

2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

So Henne at 4 million is way better than Manuel? Not so sure he is. 1.6 is not chump change.

Keep in mind Manuel wasn't even good enough to make any NFL roster last year.  So to think he's instantly a contender to unseat a 10 year veteran with over 50 career starts and most importantly a year in Andy's system doesn't make sense. Right now I'd assume he's battling Chase Litton for the potential 3rd QB role. But hey if he does manage to impress Andy they could always cut or trade Henne in late August. I personally wouldn't read anything into signing a street free agent at this point. 

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Keep in mind Manuel wasn't even good enough to make any NFL roster last year.  So to think he's instantly a contender to unseat a 10 year veteran with over 50 career starts and most importantly a year in Andy's system doesn't make sense. Right now I'd assume he's battling Chase Litton for the potential 3rd QB role. But hey if he does manage to impress Andy they could always cut or trade Henne in late August. I personally wouldn't read anything into signing a street free agent at this point. 

Yes makes sense. Still without Mahomes it would still be one and done in the play offs.  Henne is not Foles.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Yes makes sense. Still without Mahomes it would still be one and done in the play offs.  Henne is not Foles.

I think the best you can hope for with most backups is that they win 2 games if your QB missed 4. I don’t see many taking their team on a playoff run.

12 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think so.  He is a viable backup who can keep the team in the running for several weeks if Mahomes goes down for awhile. The others can't. Plus, he has worked in the system with our players for an entire training camp and for all the practices between games last season. He is a smart guy who can still throw.

Plus he's supposedly really good in the QB room.  That is important as Henne is who Mahomes does film study with.  He is too important for Mahomes' progress in prep work to cut.  JMO.

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m talking about a spot starter for a short period of games during the regular season. To win in January, we need our franchise QB.  But hey even there maybe we could possibly scratch out a divisional or wild card weekend win with a competent backup.  Imagine a scenario where Mahomes is in short term concussion protocol or something and we need a win. Gotta at least have a guy Andy trusts.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I’ll add this. Andy is SO good with QBs Veach should always be looking for these big time underachiever types. And vise versa guys like Manuel who want to resurrect career should beg their agents to get them here. 

Reid has had so much success with QBs, I will not be surprised to see him battle for the #2 spot. Hes definitely not without talent, and 1.6 mill freed up is 1.6 mill. It all helps. 

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Reid has had so much success with QBs, I will not be surprised to see him battle for the #2 spot. Hes definitely not without talent, and 1.6 mill freed up is 1.6 mill. It all helps. 

Look at Vick who was out of the NFL and what he did for him. I know Vick had more talent but Reid did him wonders.

We would be foolish to waste Andy’s talent of helping these guys in hopes of netting some picks.   But someone pointed out that maybe Mahomes could use another year with a veteran in his ear helping him prepare.  Either way it’s nice to see us churning the roster

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We would be foolish to waste Andy’s talent of helping these guys in hopes of netting some picks.   But someone pointed out that maybe Mahomes could use another year with a veteran in his ear helping him prepare.  Either way it’s nice to see us churning the roster

Lets see...... MVP already. I think he is not needy. 

Archived