Just for grins

If Hockenson, the TE from Iowa is there at 29 would you consider taking him? I'd think about it if he was the BPA. I know they need defense but they still have 2 seconds. Andy loves his TEs and this kid would be sick paired with Kelce.

I guess I should have posted this on the draft forum.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Personally no.  We need to find an impact defender in round one who can help defense quickly.  I do think one of the second rounders ends up being a skill position guy though depending on how free agency goes. 

I don't know, their major needs are in the secondary and it seems like you can find quality players at those positions in the later rounds. 

But don't get me wrong, if they drafted the next Ronnie Lott or Deon Sanders I wouldn't bitch about it.

Without question.  If he's there at 29, he's the best player available IMO.

As fun as the offense was last year, it can't remain stagnant.  It's got to continue to evolve or defenses will catch up.

We've got FA and a year-old draft class that should start to bear fruit.  Going all in on D all the time will result in an imbalance down the line.

Unless the Chiefs are planning a two TE set most of the time, I'd say no.  They can pick up a #2 TE later in the draft if they choose to replace Harris.  Taking either Iowa TE would be to expensive in draft potential compared to plugging the gaping holes in the secondary.

I just do not logically see how you draft a backup in the first round when you need a starter at four different defensive positions. And furthermore add in the fact we have an elite tight end who’s locked up for three more years. We can find a decent #2 in free agency or later in the draft.  

I guess the only way it would make any sense would be if they were going to replace Watkins red zone role to a tight end in 2020.  Im just not seeing how this gives us a better shot to win the Super Bowl next year at all. 

I think I would draft him if he's BPA in that slot. Kelce won't be here forever and it would provide 2 elite TE immediately  and he'd transition into our number 1 when Kelce contract is up and he's all banged up. 

We need D for sure, but I think Spags makes a difference and the rest of the draft would go D, minus a RB in 4th or 5th round is my guess.  

Hockenson to me is a game changer at tight end.  He adds a lot to the run game and pass game.  And he would bring flexibility to the sets as both he and kelce can split out wide or inline.  Our red zone game would be ridonculous.

This is assuming he's the BPA when we pick. You need a game changer in the first and he is that.  Offense or defense, just go BPA in the first.  Then you can target guys for the defense with three day 2 picks.  

It's dumb imo to say you have to take a defensive player in the first.  That's how mistakes are made.  That late in the first it's not guaranteed that you still have guys left that you have a first round grade on.

I would also add that, to me, hockenson is a top 10-15 player in this draft.  I highly doubt he's there.  But then I would also put Fant as a top 15-20 guy and would be thrilled with him too if that's the direction we went.  To get either one of those guys at the end of the first means teams fucked up and overdrafted other guys.  I might even put Hockenson in my top 10 overall in this draft.  Not many guys come into the NFL with his receiving ability at tight end who are also good blockers.  It just doesn't happen anymore.

The defense is a dumpster fire.  But we have hit it hard with high draft picks and free agents/trades.  And a complete overhaul of the defensive staff.  We have all been blaming Sutton for years.  Maybe we trust that he can improve us without a lot of personnel additions.  What makes us so good is that we have lots of weapons on offense.  We lost Hunt.  Watkins has health concerns.  Kelce will be 30 this season.  I'm all for a hyper elite offense and middle of the road defense. 

3 hours ago, xen said:

Hockenson to me us a game changer at tight end.  He adds a lot to the run game and pass game.  And he would bring flexibility to the sets as both he and kelce can split out wide or inline.  Our red zone game would be ridonculous.

This is assuming he's the BPA when we pick. You need a game changer in the first and he is that.  Offense or defense, just go BPA in the first.  Then you can target guys for the defense with three day 2 picks.  

It's dumb imo to say you have to take a defensive player in the first.  That's how mistakes are made.  That late in the first it's not guaranteed that you still have guys left that you have a first round grade on.

Understand your point. You can't force the issue and must listen to your draft board first and foremost. But we have SO many needs on defense, I find it hard to believe that we can't find a defensive player who matches our draft board that we can't at least maneuver to get. Obviously if by far the top guy on our draft board is sitting there, you take him no matter what side of the ball. I would personally very slightly skew the draft grades to reflect need. 

The tight end deal is tough. We've got a great player locked up at a reasonable price for the next 3 seasons. I believe we did primarily decide to overpay for Watkins because first and foremost he's great in the red zone. So a tight end to replace him does make some sense. Problem is when we are likely going to have gaping holes at DE, LB, S and C it still feels like a luxury pick we can't afford. 

Meh some are forgetting the destructive power unleashed when new England laid waste to the NFL with 2 tight end sets and 2 elite tight ends.  As long as we don't draft a murderer at tight end, we should be fine.  Defense will continue to be a work in progress.

16 minutes ago, xen said:

Meh some are forgetting the destructive power unleashed when new England laid waste to the NFL with 2 tight end sets and 2 elite tight ends.  As long as we don't draft a murderer at tight end, we should be fine.  Defense will continue to be a work in progress.

Can you imagine Kittle and Kelce last year together? Now imagine someone I believe will be even better than Kittle opposite of Kelce in our system. 2 TEs like this will mean no way they can double up a player without paying a price and the blocking ability means even better screens etc. Not to mention red zone targeting.  A Los the fact qith him as a blocker qe cam become even better as an O line when he is needed for it. We do need a C or LG stud imo to either come from within or FA/draft type. I think this guy as our depth and future as young as he is would be to much to pass up.

16 minutes ago, xen said:

Of course the Patriots were a top 5 defense leading into that draft so they did have the gaping holes we do. Also they took tight ends in the second and fourth rounds. I do absolutely see the value of another competent tight end. Heck we know Andy actually loves those three tight end sets too. Man is he gonna have to be a clear cut top guy on the draft board to do it is all I'm saying. And with so many needs, I find that hard to believe. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Of course the Patriots were a top 5 defense leading into that draft so they did have the gaping holes we do. Also they took tight ends in the second and fourth rounds. I do absolutely see the value of another competent tight end. Heck we know Andy actually loves those three tight end sets too. Man is he gonna have to be a clear cut top guy on the draft board to do it is all I'm saying. And with so many needs, I find that hard to believe. 

I didn't say trade up for them or prioritize that position, I said if the board shakes out like that the inevitable bitching and groaning from fans will be stupid.  Or something like that.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I didn't say trade up for them or prioritize that position, I said if the board shakes out like that the inevitable bitching and groaning from fans will be stupid.  Or something like that.

I get it. You don't pass on Tony Gonzalez because you need a cornerback more and Billy Bartee is the best guy out there. And my ability to work Bartee into the discussion made it all worthwhile. LOL

I need more time to understand how many of the current players are going to still be here in Spag's scheme.

I love the idea of adding more weapons to the Offense, but we may need to replace several players  on the defense in short order.

Also, if anyone has forgotten-our defense is bad, and they need a ton of help.

w

Ok back to reality since Fant and Hockenson are going to test out of our draft range.... the good new is this is a deep ass tight end draft and the chiefs can find a tight end on day 2 or even 3.  No one the caliber of those two but there are some intriguing tight ends that could develop nicely.

Here's a another good question that's a little more realistic (but not much), if Irv Smith Jr falls to us in the 2nd do you pass him up?  Late first round grade to me.  Elite blocker, really good pass catcher.  Think Jordan Reed type rather than Travis Kelce type.

Archived