Just for grins

59 minutes ago, xen said:

Here's a another good question that's a little more realistic (but not much), if Irv Smith Jr falls to us in the 2nd do you pass him up?  Late first round grade to me.  Elite blocker, really good pass catcher.  Think Jordan Reed type rather than Travis Kelce.

Sounds good to me. I really think TE is a big need, especially if Hands of Clay Harris leaves(and good riddance). Him being an elite blocker is a big plus.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't fault the idea of taking a good player on Offense over direly reaching because you feel pressured to address Defense.  

But the thing is, you can't ask Spags to come in and change everything up and when it comes time to get him some help, you tell him to get fucked.  That's how you get a new flavor of a 32nd ranked Defense.

The reality here is if the Chiefs were closer to top 10 in points allowed on Defense than 32nd, they would have gone undefeated and would of been doing a SB parade.

So when it comes down to things, the most sensible approach will be to make a move up in the draft for more of an impact player.

Offense is definitely not off the table, with quite a few picks some might come in. However we could only use an upgrade at OL from day one (OC or OG) so any other offensive player in 1st is just an unnecessary luxury as we are supposed to be able to pick those later in the draft and develop.

In a couple years we'll be in cap hell with Mahomes' extension so the draft/FA should be focused on winning now. If the staff thinks we need a TE just trade a mid round pick for a relatively proven guy that will help out in 2019. 

Guards and Centers are players you should be scooping up in the mid to late rounds and the trashcan if you can rely your scouts.  I can't feel the need to draft them high.

As for cap hell, the Chiefs will be fine if they stop giving out stupid contracts.  If they rip off the bandaid and rely on the coaching staff to develop, they can be in fantastic shape to give Hill, Pat and Jones big deals.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Guards and Centers are players you should be scooping up in the mid to late rounds and the trashcan if you can rely your scouts.  I can't feel the need to draft them high.

As for cap hell, the Chiefs will be fine if they stop giving out stupid contracts.  If they rip off the bandaid and rely on the coaching staff to develop, they can be in fantastic shape to give Hill, Pat and Jones big deals.

Agree completely especially at guard. Will Shields is one of the best ever and was a third rounder. He original counterpart was Pro Bowler Dave Szott a 6th rounder. Brian Waters was a multiple Pro Bowler and was undrafted. LDT a 6th rounder. Find the right type guys in the mid to late rounds and develop them. Khalil McKenzie fits this mold perfectly and has potential to be another late round steal. I think you have to aim a little higher though and look for day two centers though. 

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree completely especially at guard. Will Shields is one of the best ever and was a third rounder. He original counterpart was Pro Bowler Dave Szott a 6th rounder. Brian Waters was a multiple Pro Bowler and was undrafted. LDT a 6th rounder. Find the right type guys in the mid to late rounds and develop them. Khalil McKenzie has potential to be another late round steal. I think you have to aim a little higher though and look for day two centers though. 

I really want to see more from Reiter, which is why I'm not too worked up about getting one early.  With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to spend a Day 3 choice to add competition there.

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree completely especially at guard. Will Shields is one of the best ever and was a third rounder. He original counterpart was Pro Bowler Dave Szott a 6th rounder. Brian Waters was a multiple Pro Bowler and was undrafted. LDT a 6th rounder. Find the right type guys in the mid to late rounds and develop them. Khalil McKenzie fits this mold perfectly and has potential to be another late round steal. I think you have to aim a little higher though and look for day two centers though. 

I think the only question right now is whether the staff is considering Reiter a starter or not. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any need to bring in linemen on the first two days. 

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't fault the idea of taking a good player on Offense over direly reaching because you feel pressured to address Defense.  

But the thing is, you can't ask Spags to come in and change everything up and when it comes time to get him some help, you tell him to get fucked.  That's how you get a new flavor of a 32nd ranked Defense.

The reality here is if the Chiefs were closer to top 10 in points allowed on Defense than 32nd, they would have gone undefeated and would of been doing a SB parade.

So when it comes down to things, the most sensible approach will be to make a move up in the draft for more of an impact player.

Pete Shrager of NFL.com has you guys taking a Safety out of Delaware- Veach's alma mater....

24 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think the only question right now is whether the staff is considering Reiter a starter or not. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any need to bring in linemen on the first two days. 

Agree. He graded out in a short sample size as above average and actually better than Morse last year. Now short term starters can also have weaknesses exposed with more play and film review so this is interesting. At the very least extending him doesn't put Veach behind that 8 ball where he has to go overreach for another guy. He can look for value. 

17 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Pete Shrager of NFL.com has you guys taking a Safety out of Delaware- Veach's alma mater....

I doubt Adderly makes it to 29 but he would be a great pick for us if he did. I've seen several mocks he actually goes to the Ravens at 22.  The kid is slightly undersized but has the versatility, physicality and athleticism that defines the ideal safety today. I've seen some people actually rate him as the top safety in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I think we're in the silly season where writers want to push up 'sleepers' to give themselves pats on the back and self-proclaim themselves as a super draft genius.

I have him in the 50-80 range.

No way. This kid is going in the 15-30 range. 

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

No way. This kid is going in the 15-30 range. 

His level of competition and lack of size are going to be detrimental in the long run for him.  This is going to be a significant problem for him going from the FCS to the NFL.

I'm not sure if you can rely on him to be your center fielder in the NFL and I think he's going to end up moving positions.  When you start talking nickel prospects, he's not at the top of my board at that range.  Even if you want to talk rangy kind of safety, he's still not at the top of my board by that point.

E: I wouldn't rule out someone taking him in the first, but I think they'll end up regretting it in the long run.  Hope it ain't us.

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I doubt Adderly makes it to 29 but he would be a great pick for us if he did. I've seen several mocks he actually goes to the Ravens at 22.  The kid is slightly undersized but has the versatility, physicality and athleticism that defines the ideal safety today. I've seen some people actually rate him as the top safety in the draft. 

We need a Safety since Weddle is on the back end of his career. Watching Ed Reed highlights yesterday made me realize how lucky we were to have him and how bad our safety play has been since he left/retired. But we also need help on the Oline like you guys do.

9 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

His level of competition and lack of size are going to be detrimental in the long run for him.  This is going to be a significant problem for him going from the FCS to the NFL.

I'm not sure if you can rely on him to be your center fielder in the NFL and I think he's going to end up moving positions.  When you start talking nickel prospects, he's not at the top of my board at that range.  Even if you want to talk rangy kind of safety, he's still not at the top of my board by that point.

E: I wouldn't rule out someone taking him in the first, but I think they'll end up regretting it in the long run.  Hope it ain't us.

So you are saying he is Matt Elam Part Deux

7 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

So you are saying he is Matt Elam Part Deux

Sort of.  Matt Elam was more name legacy and a product of a Florida Defense while Adderly is probably better suited as a nickel CB in the NFL.

That's when you've got to ask, is it worth taking a nickel guy that early?  Chauncey Garnder-Johnson is higher on my board if that's the direction whoever is dire to go.

32 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Sort of.  Matt Elam was more name legacy and a product of a Florida Defense while Adderly is probably better suited as a nickel CB in the NFL.

That's when you've got to ask, is it worth taking a nickel guy that early?  Chauncey Garnder-Johnson is higher on my board if that's the direction whoever is dire to go.

Don't think Adderley is a nickel.  I see him as one of the rangier free safeties in this draft.  Gardner-Johnson played a lot of nickel though.  I actually like him more and more, mostly due to the versatility he brings, as he's better suited to be that nickel safety and could play well in a lot of roles.  

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Don't think Adderley is a nickel.  I see him as one of the rangier free safeties in this draft.  Gardner-Johnson played a lot of nickel though.  I actually like him more and more, mostly due to the versatility he brings, as he's better suited to be that nickel safety and could play well in a lot of roles.  

I've seen too many big plays happen on the Arrowhead turf because the last line of Defense was in position to make a play and couldn't get the job done for whatever reason.  I'd rather have someone who would be a sure stopper.  Especially if we're talking our #1 pick. 

53 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Level of competition sure didn’t keep Darius Leonard from becoming an instant star in the NFL last year.  If you have skills and athleticism that translate to the NFL, it doesn’t matter if you played FBS or FCS.  If Adderly gets it done at the combine with his college production and film, he’s gonna go day one. I’d wager on that. 

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Level of competition sure didn’t keep Darius Leonard from becoming an instant star in the NFL last year.  If you have skills and athleticism that translate to the NFL, it doesn’t matter if you played FBS or FCS.  If Adderly gets it done at the combine with his college production and film, he’s gonna go day one. I’d wager on that. 

That's an exception example and not an expectation.

55 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

That's an exception example and not an expectation.

There were over 150 FCS players on NFL rosters last year including the second overall pick in the draft three years ago. Recently guys like Tarik Cohen, Cooper Kupp, Jimmy Garropolo and even our own Tyreek Hill have emerged as big time NFL players. If you can play, you can play.  It doesn’t matter if Khalil Mack played at Buffalo or Alabama.  He’s still an NFL superstar.  Heck the best WR in NFL history fits the bill too.  There’s 10 players in the NFL from Deleware alone.  That’s as many or more than 30 percent of Big 12 schools. 

My point is simply you evaluate the player first and foremost, not the league. FCS has proven very capable of delivering high level talent. 

Archived