Just for grins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

There were over 150 FCS players on NFL rosters last year including the second overall pick in the draft three years ago. Recently guys like Tarik Cohen, Cooper Kupp, Jimmy Garropolo and even our own Tyreek Hill have emerged as big time NFL players. If you can play, you can play.  It doesn’t matter if Khalil Mack played at Buffalo or Alabama.  He’s still an NFL superstar.  Heck the best WR in NFL history fits the bill too.  There’s 10 players in the NFL from Deleware alone.  That’s as many or more than 30 percent of Big 12 schools. 

My point is simply you evaluate the player first and foremost, not the league. FCS has proven very capable of delivering high level talent. 

You take the player and figure out their strengths and weaknesses and how all of that will translate over to the NFL.  Part of determining that is also factoring in the level of competition players played against.  That's how it is.

48 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You take the player and figure out their strengths and weaknesses and how all of that will translate over to the NFL.  Part of determining that is also factoring in the level of competition players played against.  That's how it is.

Uh yeah, that's what the combine, pro days and all star bowls are for.  To see how they compare to their peers.

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

If that's round 1, I think it's too early.

Why?  He's a projected first rounder in an area of need.  Unless he loses ground at the combine, he'll remain a possible top pick for the Chiefs.  Only downside is that Spags reportedly likes longer DBs, but if the guy can play, the Chiefs can use him.  Watts, Lucas, Adderly, and Berry (?) would be comfortable to take to TC.   Bye Bye Soranson and Murphy. 

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Again. You evaluate the player, not the league. Teams do not downgrade talent because they played in FCS. Of course they also don't take production at face value. The tape, the tangible testing scores and intangibles every team is looking for are far more important to teams that the level of talent that player was playing against. Plenty of Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl talent has come through smaller schools in lower leagues. And today the talent is FCS is better than ever. And it showed up at the Senior Bowl where Adderly thrived against top FCS players. 

If you want to contend he isn't big enough, fast enough, physical enough or whatever. I'll listen to that. Combine is huge for him both on the field and in the interview rooms. If he thrives there he is going in the first round. Let's see how that plays out and reevaluate. But if he kills it this weekend he is going in the first round. Again I'll wager you on that.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Again. You evaluate the player, not the league. Teams do not downgrade talent because they played in FCS. Of course they also don't take production at face value. The tape, the tangible testing scores and intangibles every team is looking for are far more important to teams that the level of talent that player was playing against. Plenty of Hall of Fame and Pro Bowl talent has come through smaller schools in lower leagues. And today the talent is FCS is better than ever. And it showed up at the Senior Bowl where Adderly thrived against top FCS players. 

If you want to contend he isn't big enough, fast enough, physical enough or whatever. I'll listen to that. Combine is huge for him both on the field and in the interview rooms. If he thrives there he is going in the first round. Let's see how that plays out and reevaluate. But if he kills it this weekend he is going in the first round. Again I'll wager you on that.  

You're swerving more than necessary.  Teams are going to be more concerned when it comes to struggling with making stops when it's FCS oppoents instead of SEC opponents.  It happens all the time and I think that line has been taken and twisted into an FCS player is automatically trash, somehow.  Lower conference players are scrutinized harder than a P5 player and that's not going to change anytime soon.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Yes that's a very obvious part of the process.  Thanks for enlightening us all.

You're welcome

On 2/26/2019 at 8:26 PM, tges58 said:

If Hockenson, the TE from Iowa is there at 29 would you consider taking him? I'd think about it if he was the BPA. I know they need defense but they still have 2 seconds. Andy loves his TEs and this kid would be sick paired with Kelce.

I guess I should have posted this on the draft forum.

I have a feeling that the Chiefs will use their other second to move up a few spots in the first to get someone they really, really want bad but are afraid will be gone.

Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer  Given the way Damien Williams finished the season as the Chiefs' featured back, it wasn't a surprise that general manager Brett Veach said at the NFL combine of the starter's job heading into next season that, "It's Damien's job to lose.'' But the Chiefs are looking for some competition for Williams, most likely through the draft. Veach indicated the Chiefs would likely draft a back in an early round. "When you get into rounds 2 and 3, we have our eyes on a couple of players,'' he said. "Certainly we'd be happy with a few guys.'' The Chiefs have just one other halfback, Darrel Williams, under contract who has carried the ball in an NFL game.

Depending on combine I think Montgomery, ISU RB, would be a great fit here. Possible 3rd rounder and we have done well in the 3rd.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:48 PM, xen said:

Meh some are forgetting the destructive power unleashed when new England laid waste to the NFL with 2 tight end sets and 2 elite tight ends.  As long as we don't draft a murderer at tight end, we should be fine.  Defense will continue to be a work in progress.

how many ways can i like this..

19 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I have a feeling that the Chiefs will use their other second to move up a few spots in the first to get someone they really, really want bad but are afraid will be gone.

Yeah that's possible, there are some very good CBs and safeties that will likely be gone by the 29th pick

Archived