Good article on Ford

34 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

He scares me to give a big contract because of his massive 'contract year' that he had but this does a good job of showing his progression through the years.  I still want to tag him and have him repeat it before showing him the money...

I agree. If he does it again we will ne in a good situation next year too with the cap. I do like knowing what happened his first 2 years and how he worked hard and even tried playing through such an injury but still it is his back. Stay healthy and are how he does going back to a DE type role in the 4-3 and go from there.

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I agree. If he does it again we will ne in a good situation next year too with the cap. I do like knowing what happened his first 2 years and how he worked hard and even tried playing through such an injury but still it is his back. Stay healthy and are how he does going back to a DE type role in the 4-3 and go from there.

Not sure if I would give him a big deal next year as he'll be 29. Unfortunately Ford entered the league older than most and took him quite a bit of time to actually pan out. Tagging twice and letting him leave makes more sense unless he stays healthy and signs a team friendly deal knowing that he'll be in his 30s throughout that contract.

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if I would give him a big deal next year as he'll be 29. Unfortunately Ford entered the league older than most and took him quite a bit of time to actually pan out. Tagging twice and letting him leave makes more sense unless he stays healthy and signs a team friendly deal knowing that he'll be in his 30s throughout that contract.

I can see this but again if he can give us a solid 4 years I think it would be good deal. His 2nd year tagging would cost us 20 mil or so? I think giving him a 4 year deal with 30 guaranteed of it would give us starter for 3 years as we build behind him. His 4th year we transition or use him sparingly in situations he can do bear for us and keep him fresh. Of course if he is hurt next year then we can just let him go and see him over paid and get a comp pick too.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I can see this but again if he can give us a solid 4 years I think it would be good deal. His 2nd year tagging would cost us 20 mil or so? I think giving him a 4 year deal with 30 guaranteed of it would give us starter for 3 years as we build behind him. His 4th year we transition or use him sparingly in situations he can do bear for us and keep him fresh. Of course if he is hurt next year then we can just let him go and see him over paid and get a comp pick too.

4 year with 30 guaranteed would basically be a steal, in fact we could just trade him for a 1st easily with those figures but I think the price will be steeper. If he stays healthy again this year and goes for a 2nd tier contract I think it would make sense to extend him but I'm still on the skeptical side. We paid way too many injured guys bit money to have it come back to bite us. 

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

Tag and release next year would be my goal. If I tagged him at all. If it’s a choice of tagging Ford or keeping Houston, I would be torn. Houston can do more in a 4-3. Ford is a better pass rusher. Neither will be on the team in 2 years.

Word is Houston is "unwilling" to restructure unless guaranteed money is involved. The hope is to trade him...if not he will be released

7 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Word is Houston is "unwilling" to restructure unless guaranteed money is involved. The hope is to trade him...if not he will be released

I always thought he would go for an extension rather than a single year restructure. Either way we'll be paying over 20 million with the tag and the dead money unless they are shopping both guys. 

Tag n trade if you know you have a partner.. otherwise I say let him walk for a comp pick.. I love that dee has always been classy n represented the chiefs well outside of football, but I’m not fooled over 1 healthy n high production year, that also just happened to be a contract year people wanna bitch about berry n his lack of playing time due to injury over the last few years, yet want to pay dee as a franchise level player for this year, and or longer deal.. I don’t like that his injury history is his back.. forget trying to pay him we need to be prepared for the $200+ million dollar contract we will be approaching 2PM with after this next season. Ford is only three years younger than Houston, with light years of less production.. if I’m happy with pick or player trade for 50 sign me up for the same with 55.. if we are going to gut this defensive personnel then gut it n don’t look back.. give me a fa edge, and a fa safety n draft at least one each of those positions with corner keeping top priority in the draft maybe one early n one a lil later.

Archived