Berry won’t have offseason surgery

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK, but cutting him is really going to suck AND it's going to suck even more to watch the Patriots, Steelers, Rams or another good team immediately sign him because that WILL happen.

If you wan't Berry cut that's fine, but just be prepared to have to deal with him playing and playing well for another team.

You can't bitch about that too if you want him cut.

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

No way our front office is ok with all of this.  I understand that surgery might not be necessary but it’s going to be a repeat of last year if he doesn’t.   And not necessary doesn’t mean better either.   It’s his body and his choice but I don’t see how he can occupy a roster spot for another year.  Even when he played we weren’t that much better.   Hate it for him but the dude has made millions for not much more than being moral support.

Again this fits spot on with what a very reliable media source said privately. Berry has been cleared to play since at least early November but just chose not too because he was scared of another achilles tear. Maybe this doctor finally got through to him. If I'm the Chiefs I'm demanding he shows up at OTAs and proves he can and is willing to play or else we want an injury settlement. And perhaps that's why he is expected to participate. Clock is ticking on a decision though as March 15th the Chiefs are on the hook for 7.25 in 2019 salary whether we cut him or not. So its basically we are all in and gonna try to make this work or we release him and take a dagger of a CAP hit. I'm guessing they roll the dice with him one last season. 

One thing I'll add because I've been really down on Berry and even his attitude. But Jordan Lucas said Berry was invaluable in the locker room all season in the help he was giving the younger guys. So at least he was actually engaged and trying to help that team. In the end though this is all about is Berry truly committed to playing or not. 

44 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

No way our front office is ok with all of this.  I understand that surgery might not be necessary but it’s going to be a repeat of last year if he doesn’t.   And not necessary doesn’t mean better either.   It’s his body and his choice but I don’t see how he can occupy a roster spot for another year.  Even when he played we weren’t that much better.   Hate it for him but the dude has made millions for not much more than being moral support.

There's a big difference between medically necessary, and pertinent to being able to fulfill contractual obligations.  I'm done with Berry.  What he's done to the Chiefs is borderline theft.  Must be nice to live in the top 1% and not have to do jack shit to earn it.  Most expensive cheerleader in the history of the planet. 

9 minutes ago, Balto said:

Veach should just tell Berry and his agent that if he is cleared and still refuses to play then it’s the same as sitting out and will be fined.

Yep. If he’s cleared to play then he’s expected to play. If he’s good with that we keep him.  No more leaving it in his hands or if he thinks it’s too painful then fine, let’s roll with injury settlement and move on  

And I’m perfectly fine finessing this condition and giving him a veterans practice schedule with Wednesday’s off.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

There's a big difference between medically necessary, and pertinent to being able to fulfill contractual obligations.  I'm done with Berry.  What he's done to the Chiefs is borderline theft.  Must be nice to live in the top 1% and not have to do jack shit to earn it.  Most expensive cheerleader in the history of the planet. 

100% agree. Dude is trying to bleed the Chiefs dry. This is not the same guy that fought through cancer. He got his second big contract and fuckin mailed it in. Cut him yesterday.

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

100% agree. I take it a step farther and claim his healthy years were highly over rated as well, which many on here take huge offense to. The guy had 1 standout season sandwiched between several above average years and 2 years of not playing, 1 of which now appears to be by choice. He got 2 massive contracts, biggest in league history for safeties, and produced 1 year i consider noteworthy.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

100% agree. Dude is trying to bleed the Chiefs dry. This is not the same guy that fought through cancer. He got his second big contract and fuckin mailed it in. Cut him yesterday.

With no surgery he would pass physical which does make this possible. And it’s gotta happen within the next two weeks.  His CAP situation this year makes this really tough for Veach.  I’d say 60/40 they keep him and roll dice. They are gonna cut Houston so it could be the real end for old core defense. 

I just don't understand his decision. He lost the entire year of play, but for some reason these next few will be the difference? I don't buy it, leader or not,  you have to be on the field.  I believe KC has gone above and beyond for him, it's time to cut ties in my opinion. Nay sayers will say I don't understand the level of pain...well, get the damn surgery then. 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

100% agree. I take it a step farther and claim his healthy years were highly over rated as well, which many on here take huge offense to. The guy had 1 standout season sandwiched between several above average years and 2 years of not playing, 1 of which now appears to be by choice. He got 2 massive contracts, biggest in league history for safeties, and produced 1 year i consider noteworthy.

I agree

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I just don't understand his decision. He lost the entire year of play, but for some reason these next few will be the difference? I don't buy it, leader or not,  you have to be on the field.  I believe KC has gone above and beyond for him, it's time to cut ties in my opinion. Nay sayers will say I don't understand the level of pain...well, get the damn surgery then. 

According to what I heard tonight on the radio the doctor said the injury or deformity is healing without surgery.  Without a medical explanation we have no clue and are not entitled to an expanlation. But hopefully Brett Veach and Andy Reid are otherwise he should be released.  

9 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

As ive said multiple times this has to mean be is done, injury settlement/retirement time.

can’t go through another season of him being day to day

I completely agree.  He's gone. It will be timed to reduce the cap hit.

8 hours ago, Balto said:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

Very painful for the Chiefs.  Painful to the fans.  Painful to the cap.

Archived