Berry won’t have offseason surgery

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

Either they feel that he will be fine over time or they think he can pass his physical and they will do a post June 1st release.   If they do surgery,  now  , he would not pass a physical

His 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed in a couple weeks (according to overthecap) so an outright release is not really an option. I think they will either go for an injury settlement or restructure his current contract similar to Hali to still pay him the guarantees without crippling the cap.

It didn't say the docs told him not to have surgery.  It said that HE decided not to have surgery.  He won't play.  Not for the Chiefs.  Probably not for anyone.  Some team may take a chance, but as soon as he plays a couple of games, that pain will start up again. I think he Chiefs era of Eric Berry is over as far as I can decipher.  I wish him the best.  We will cut him on one of those dates coming up, where the cap hit is minimized.  I can't remember if that is March 15 or that date in June. It has something to do with designation. I have a feeling that has been the plan for a while.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It didn't say the docs told him not to have surgery.  It said that HE decided not to have surgery.  He won't play.  Not for the Chiefs.  Probably not for anyone.  Some team may take a chance, but as soon as he plays a couple of games, that pain will start up again. I think he Chiefs era of Eric Berry is over as far as I can decipher.  I wish him the best.  We will cut him on one of those dates coming up, where the cap hit is minimized.  I can't remember if that is March 15 or that date in June. It has something to do with designation. I have a feeling that has been the plan for a while.

The quote from Reid at the combine said he didn't have to have the surgery. I will admit it was speculation on my part that Reid meant that the Drs didn't think he had to have it it.  Reid even called it a positive. Paylor said in a tweet  that he felt it wasn't necessary.  The tweet from paylor doesn't indicate who the he is cause right before it Paylor mentions Dr Anderson,  so it could be either one.  Both Reid and Paylor are being kinda vague on it.  Their is an article from the chiefs wire that says it wasn't recommended.  I haven't seen anything that directly says it was Berry's decision not have it. 

The one thing Reid did say he wasn't vague on that he expects Berry back and healthy by the summer.  The way Reid is talking they expect Berry to be a part of the 2019 Chiefs.   Could be coach speak as they aren't going to come out and say yea if he passes physical we are designating him a post June 1 cut.   Like it or not I don't think they cut him if they have the chance even though they should. 

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

The quote from Reid at the combine said he didn't have to have the surgery. I will admit it was speculation on my part that Reid meant that the Drs didn't think he had to have it it.  Reid even called it a positive. Paylor said in a tweet  that he felt it wasn't necessary.  The tweet from paylor doesn't indicate who the he is cause right before it Paylor mentions Dr Anderson,  so it could be either one.  Both Reid and Paylor are being kinda vague on it.  Their is an article from the chiefs wire that says it wasn't recommended.  I haven't seen anything that directly says it was Berry's decision not have it. 

The one thing Reid did say he wasn't vague on that he expects Berry back and healthy by the summer.  The way Reid is talking they expect Berry to be a part of the 2019 Chiefs.   Could be coach speak as they aren't going to come out and say yea if he passes physical we are designating him a post June 1 cut.   Like it or not I don't think they cut him if they have the chance even though they should. 

Yep. And the Chiefs medical staff cleared him to play without any surgery either last October. All the Chiefs are saying is that they expect him to participate in OTAs. Maybe that's a tongue in cheek demand for Berry they want a committment on. All we know for sure is if we are going to release him, its going to happen in the next two weeks. 

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

I dont like the feeling YOU are getting. Personally they've sounded non committal to me. Veach and Reid both. I think hes done here.

I just have a hard tilme believing that once he gets into the rigors of training this isn't going to flare right back up. 

I'd rather we be in a positive could trade Berry over Houston. Houston may not be elite, but he's a complete player who can still make big plays/impact on the field...which he was actually on last season. 

12 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I just have a hard tilme believing that once he gets into the rigors of training this isn't going to flare right back up. 

I'd rather we be in a positive could trade Berry over Houston. Houston may not be elite, but he's a complete player who can still make big plays/impact on the field...which he was actually on last season. 

I wonder if we could pawn him off on anyone.  When shopping him the ad could be "Former Pro-Bowl Safety for trade, hardly used."

Veach reintegrated berry will be good to go with a clean bill of health.. contractually speaking it makes sense to move on from Houston this year, berry not till next year.. if it is the same day to day 19 will be his last as a chief.. if he can play going foreword, then who knows.. however I do have a sinking feeling that berry might retire.. im also not sure 29 will want to play here after we move on from 50

Anyone else have the fear that Berry will participate in OTAs and TC, be on the active roster for the first game, then become a part time player or non player when the pain picks up again?  Then he'll be a day to day  $15,000,000 cheer leaders again and a valuable presence in the locker room. 

33 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Anyone else have the fear that Berry will participate in OTAs and TC, be on the active roster for the first game, then become a part time player or non player when the pain picks up again?  Then he'll be a day to day  $15,000,000 cheer leaders again and a valuable presence in the locker room. 

Yes

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Those two really have nothing to do with each other though as we really aren't getting much CAP relief if we lose Berry in 2019. If we were this would be a lot easier. In short we can't justify keeping and overpaying Houston either way. But we may keep Berry because financially it doesn't do alot for us not too. 

53 minutes ago, jetlord said:

absofuknlutly

4 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

I was trying to read between the lines and apply what I have learned about Haglund's deformity.  I also saw that it was described as VERY painful.  I THINK (not know) that the talk about him playing the coming season is "front office speak" and intended to convince other teams to make some sort of deal or to get comp picks.  I could be totally wrong, but I doubt that the Chiefs feel they can afford a roster spot for someone who is likely to have recurrent severe pain.  Of course we can always count on hope as a means of winning a Lombardi and assume that when his pain recurs, that it won't drag on "day to day" (meaning month to month).  I very much want to be wrong.  I also thought he would never come back from chemotherapy, let alone come back at an all pro level.  So, my opinion is not exactly good.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yep. I don’t honestly think he is trying to not play to get a pay check. But there is no doubt that there are some serious pain issues. I think the team held him out because we were going to make the playoffs and they wanted him for that run. Not a terrible decision. He just didn’t play very well probably because of rust which you would expect. 

My opinion is that Berry is a stud that would love to play, but can’t. Declining surgery tells me that he thinks he can overcome it. I don’t think he can based on last year. They know more than us do I will wait to see. 6 games is what I predict he is good for.

7 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Yep. I don’t honestly think he is trying to not play to get a pay check. But there is no doubt that there are some serious pain issues. I think the team held him out because we were going to make the playoffs and they wanted him for that run. Not a terrible decision. He just didn’t play very well probably because of rust which you would expect. 

My opinion is that Berry is a stud that would love to play, but can’t. Declining surgery tells me that he thinks he can overcome it. I don’t think he can based on last year. They know more than us do I will wait to see. 6 games is what I predict he is good for.

Agree 

Archived