LF mock 2.0

liquidfriend

This will be easier now that we know the coaching decisions.

Release:

Daniel Sorensen

Cam Erving (camp cut)

Dustin Colquitt (camp cut)

Eric Murray (post draft)

Eric Berry (instant cut--not June 1)

Tag:

Dee Ford (franchise)

Re-sign:

De'Anthony Thomas, Demetrius Harris, Jordan Devey, Anthony Sherman, Lucas to min deals

Trade:

LB Dee Ford and pick #29 to the Green Bay Packers for pick #12, 2020 3rd

Clay Matthews is pretty much cooked at this point and a UFA.  It'll be a tight fit for the Packers, but they can get Dee Ford in quickly and give him an extension so his 2019 cap hit isn't major.  Meanwhile they get a proven pass-rusher that fits better in a system familiar to him vs trying to figure out a role with Spags. 

The Chiefs opt for a swap over a haul to be in better position to land an impact player on a budget.

The Packers meanwhile still have 2 first rounders, a proven edge rusher and actually would be drafting back to back at 29 and 30.

LB Justin Houston to the Cleveland Browns for a 4th round pick

I think this draft is where John Dorsey wants to push the Browns over the top and into the drivers seat for the AFC North.  If you're John Dorsey you know a couple of things here:

1.  You can afford to place his salary on your cap.  2.  You know what you're getting.  3.  You know he'll be a leader for your Defense.  4.  He'll bring more of an impact than a 4th round rookie.

The Chiefs meanwhile need to rip the bandaid off totally and put a new identity together and getting rid of the old remnants from the werthers era is how you do it.

LB Reggie Ragland to the Detroit Lions for LB Jarrad Davis

Ragland is a terrible fit in Kansas City with the system change while Davis is a terrible fit in Detroit with the Lions changing systems a year ago.  Davis could have more value here in KC in a more natural system and under contract for 2 affordable years, while Ragland could be a natural thumper for sexual assaulty homeless guy in Detroit.  The cap difference in this trade for both teams is minimal and a natural fart for poop kind of deal.

WR Sammy Watkins to the Jacksonville Jaguars for CB AJ Bouye

This trade is about balancing out the rosters for both teams.  The Chiefs need more balance on Defense and already have a #1 WR with Tyreek Hill and can do without Sammy.  The Jaguars #1 CB is Jalen Ramsey and they've got a talent deficiency on Offense.

The Chiefs are in better shape with Bouye taking the #1 corner role and the Jags are in better shape with Watkins, Marqise Lee and Westbrook.

Extend:

WR Tyreek Hill (give him the OBJ contract)

FA:

DE Oliver Vernon (3yr/35m) - Not technically a FA as of now, but the Giants are expected to release Vernon and both sides will probably be interested in a reunion.

DT Dominique Easley  (1yr/1m) - Prove it deal depth signing

1.  Christian Wilkins, DT  Clemson

Going from 29 to 12 will put them in position to land a guy like Wilkins, who is a better fit playing the Nose for Spags than Nnadi is. I liked Nnadi when the pick was made, but I don't think he translates over well as starter and now is more of a budget rotational tackle.

Wilkins can have a Fletcher Cox or a Barry Cofield type of impact for the Chiefs Defense and a Jones+Wilkins duo inside is a total nightmare once Wilkins puts it all together.

2.  Parris Campbell, WR  Ohio State

Teams seem to be willing to wait it out with the WR's, so I think great value can be had at this pick with some patience.

2.  Jonathan Abram, S  Miss State

Can play in the box well and make his presence felt on the field.  I think he'll slide more than he should due to the overwhelming amount of S options available and tendency to be over-aggressive, but I'd definitely buy here.

3. Te'von Coney, LB  Notre Dame

Will need to land a SAM candidate at some point.

4. Dawson Knox, TE  Ole Miss

I think once people realize the Rebels Offensive design was pure ass, the receivers will get some slack.  I like the potential with Knox as the #2 behind Kelce and this is the range where you start taking depth.

5.  Dennis Daley, OL  South Carolina

I think he could develop into a quality Guard in the NFL.

6.  Bryce Love, RB  Stanford

I think Bryce Love made a giant mistake returning to Stanford and went from a Day 2 to a later Day 3 back, but I think he's worth it at this point.

6. Mike Bell, S  Fresno State

Potential as depth for Safety, ST's and the dime back roie

7.  Mitch Wishnowsky, P  Utah

The reality is that the Chiefs are going to be in a position soon where they can't afford to pay beyond min for a punter.  It's a bit surprising they gave Colquitt another extension a year ago.

Rehauled Defense would be:

Vernon - Wilkins/Nnadi - Jones/Easley - Speaks/Kpassgon

Coney  -  Hitchens  -  O'Daniel

Boyue - Lucas/Watts - Fuller - Abram - Ward

Not flawless by any means, but I think the DL is stout enough to help hide the holes elsewhere. 

A lot of trades, some may happen but I doubt all would. Ford for a swap of first and a 3rd rounder in 2020 but only a 4th for Houston? I think we can do better than a 4th really. I thought Watkins would eat a huge cap for us if not in the team it does your trade factor all that in?

Also his replacement is unproven and having a new fit in Reids system takes about a year to learn. Do we roll on offense without a weapon like this?

Also I would keep Erving for depth and ability to play mutiple positions. I doubt GB does trade and I think I would be fine if they did not as we lose a lot of rushers in both Houston and Ford. Make Ford prove it and then trade him next year in tag/trade I bet they do. Then again he will be almost 30 too but not a lot of wear and tear either. 

1 hour ago, Nonchalant29 said:

Everyone thinks hitch is our mike, n not that I totally disagree, but if I’m not mistaken he played Sam and Will in Dallas.. was labeled an olb. I love the idea of tag n trade ford

He played every spot in Dallas.

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

A lot of trades, some maybhappen but I doubt all would. Ford for a swapnif first and a 3rd rounder in 2020 but only a 4th for Houston? I think we can do better than a 4th really. I thought Watkins would eat a huge cap for us if not in the team it does your trade factor all that in? Also his replacement is unproven and having a new fit in Reids system takes about a year to learn. Do we roll on offense without a weapon like this?

Also I would keep Ering for depth and ability to play mutiple positions. I doubt GB does trade and I think I would be fine if they did not as we lose a lotnif rushers in both Houston and Ford. Make Ford prove it and then trade him next year in tag/trade I bet they do. Then again he will be almost 30 too but not a lot of wear and tear either. 

Justin Houston is on the wrong side of 30.  They're not getting anything more than a Day 3 choice for an old, expensive guy.  Hell, a 4 could be pushing it.

A lot of issues with making Ford play on a tag year, tagging again with no heavy desire to do a longterm deal.  It's really shitty business.  Ask Pittsburgh.

The Chiefs don't need Sammy Watkins and never really did.  A trade lowers the actual dead cap a lot since the guaranteed base is gone.

Do you really think Campbell can replace Watkins?  The AFC championship game showed the need for the Chiefs having a viable third target.  I agree that Colquit's time is past and the Chiefs could go cheaper without too much harm.  I don't see GB making the deal and probably neither will CLE.

Damn I was lookin forward to your latest one. What a dud. 4 trades is unrealistic in my opinion. I also know that Reid and Veach have both gone as far as to single out Nnadi by name and praise his progress. They love him. The idea that they would use their first round pick to block him is ridiculous. 

I guess mocks are for fun though. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Damn I was lookin forward to your latest one. What a dud. 4 trades is unrealistic in my opinion. I also know that Reid and Veach have both gone as far as to single out Nnadi by name and praise his progress. They love him. The idea that they would use their first round pick to block him is ridiculous. 

I guess mocks are for fun though. 

Agree.  Mocks that include trades are really a reach.  Except for the Chiefs trading Smith last season, how many trades have been predicted correctly?

We're one year removed from the Rams making 5 trades and now 4 is unrealistic? 

And the Browns, if you want a long list

Trades  March 14, 2018: Traded Danny Shelton and 2018 5th round pick (159th overall subsequently traded, Daurice Fountain) to Patriots for a 2019 3rd round pick

March 14, 2018: Traded 2018 3rd round pick (65th overall subsequently traded, Brandon Parker) to Bills for Tyrod Taylor

March 14, 2018: Traded DeShone Kizer, 2018 4th round pick (101st overall subsequently traded, Ian Thomas) and 2018 5th round pick (138th overall, Cole Madison) to Packers for Damarious Randall, 2018 4th round pick (114th overall subsequently traded, Da'Shawn Hand) and 2018 5th round pick (150th overall, Genard Avery)

March 14, 2018: Traded 2018 4th round pick (101st overall subsequently traded, Ian Thomas) and a 2019 7th round pick to Dolphins for Jarvis Landry

March 15, 2018: Traded Jason McCourty and 2018 7th round pick (219th overall, Danny Etling) to Patriots for 2018 6th round pick (205th overall subsequently traded, Trevon Young)

May 18, 2018: Traded Jamar Taylor to Cardinals for a 2019 6th round pick

August 5, 2018: Traded Corey Coleman to Bills for a 2020 7th round pick

August 31, 2018: Traded a 2019 7th round pick to 49ersfor Shon Coleman

September 1, 2018: Traded Devaroe Lawrence to Saintsfor a 2019 7th round pick

Yeah I don't think it's that unrealistic.  That said I think Wilkins is a 3 tech and we already got one.  That high we would be passing on edge defenders and corners for a luxury pick. 

Of course, our d tackles would be sick, though I worry about the run d in that scenario.

I think Wilkins can play either spot and can play the NASCAR package, which has a ton of value.  Moves well for a DT, without being a liability like Oliver could be.

Yes the trades are pretty wild, I'd admit.  I do wild ones and conservative ones till we get close to the draft.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:17 AM, liquidfriend said:

We're one year removed from the Rams making 5 trades and now 4 is unrealistic? 

And the Browns, if you want a long list

Trades  March 14, 2018: Traded Danny Shelton and 2018 5th round pick (159th overall subsequently traded, Daurice Fountain) to Patriots for a 2019 3rd round pick

March 14, 2018: Traded 2018 3rd round pick (65th overall subsequently traded, Brandon Parker) to Bills for Tyrod Taylor

March 14, 2018: Traded DeShone Kizer, 2018 4th round pick (101st overall subsequently traded, Ian Thomas) and 2018 5th round pick (138th overall, Cole Madison) to Packers for Damarious Randall, 2018 4th round pick (114th overall subsequently traded, Da'Shawn Hand) and 2018 5th round pick (150th overall, Genard Avery)

March 14, 2018: Traded 2018 4th round pick (101st overall subsequently traded, Ian Thomas) and a 2019 7th round pick to Dolphins for Jarvis Landry

March 15, 2018: Traded Jason McCourty and 2018 7th round pick (219th overall, Danny Etling) to Patriots for 2018 6th round pick (205th overall subsequently traded, Trevon Young)

May 18, 2018: Traded Jamar Taylor to Cardinals for a 2019 6th round pick

August 5, 2018: Traded Corey Coleman to Bills for a 2020 7th round pick

August 31, 2018: Traded a 2019 7th round pick to 49ersfor Shon Coleman

September 1, 2018: Traded Devaroe Lawrence to Saintsfor a 2019 7th round pick

I'm not saying that trades won't happen and there may be oven more numerous that you listed.  The point is that we can't predict what the trades will be or with whom they will be made.  That's why it's so hard to include trades in mock drafts.  Right now, I think there are four CBs worthy of the #29 pick.  Most or all of them will be gone before then.  In that case, the Chiefs could trade down to the middle of the second and maybe still get the #5 CB or someone else that would be a reach at #29.  But it's impossible to predict that happening and even harder to say exactly with whom they could deal.

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'm not saying that trades won't happen and there may be oven more numerous that you listed.  The point is that we can't predict what the trades will be or with whom they will be made.  That's why it's so hard to include trades in mock drafts.  Right now, I think there are four CBs worthy of the #29 pick.  Most or all of them will be gone before then.  In that case, the Chiefs could trade down to the middle of the second and maybe still get the #5 CB or someone else that would be a reach at #29.  But it's impossible to predict that happening and even harder to say exactly with whom they could deal.

Fair enough. With this far out, not all of them are designed to be 100% what I think the Chiefs will do and is more how I would go about it. 

Right now I have 3 CB's that I think will go in the first round and one of them doesn't project well in this Defense (Greedy). Not sure if Oruwariye will get them the production they need today and I'm not confident that Baker will be in striking distance without some real maneuvering and even than, I think you've got a mismatch problem with him.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Fair enough. With this far out, not all of them are designed to be 100% what I think the Chiefs will do and is more how I would go about it. 

Right now I have 3 CB's that I think will go in the first round and one of them doesn't project well in this Defense (Greedy). Not sure if Oruwariye will get them the production they need today and I'm not confident that Baker will be in striking distance without some real maneuvering and even than, I think you've got a mismatch problem with him.

Baker measured in at 5'11" 193 with a 77 inch wingspan. Hes bigger than I expected and may be more scheme versatile than I thought with that size. Kid can really ball. I agree with you he wont be there at 29 though.

Im interested to see how JoeJuan and Afghhxtuvgfx from Penn St run. I think they could both be of interest, although you may also be right about them both projecting more as number 2 CBs than true shutdowns.

6 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

So if Mullen is on the board should the Chiefs draft him at #29 or might they trade down about 10 spots and still get a CB (Mullen or Oruwariye) and pick up a fourth?

I would be higher on Mullen if we hadn't changed everything on Defense.  I think he's better as a press man corner and might struggle to pick up Spags concepts.

On a side note, there are some interesting wrinkles he might have picked up during his brief stay with the Ravens that he took with him to NYG pt 2 that I hadn't noticed until recently, after seeing more from how they utilized the personnel. I really do not think there will be a 'Base D' in KC.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that we're entering the garbo tier of FA, here's an update

1. Parris Campbell, WR  Ohio State

The Chiefs are in a real bind with the Tyreek situation and I think it really forces their hand to go WR here.  If Hill misses time or is permabanned/cut, Sammy is your #1 WR and DRob is #2---yikes.  When Sammy misses his usual 6-8 weeks, Robinson is your #1.  No fucking way.

Campbell has that elite speed to soften the blow if things are bad with the situation and if it's not bad, they can let Sammy go next year.

2.  Trayvon Mullen, CB  Clemson

After WR is addressed, CB is the second biggest need.

2.  Chase Winovich, DE  Michigan

I think he has some similarities to Dee Ford.  Not quite as fast, but pretty close but he is a more capable edge setter and run defender IMO.  Looks like a lesbian.

3.  Dawson Knox, TE  Ole' Miss

Now that Block in the Back Harris is off to Cleveland, time to invest in a replacement.

5.  Iman Marshall, CB  USC

The Chiefs need to double up at Corner with all the striking out they've done in FA.

6.   Khari Willis, S  Michigan State

I think they could stand to upgrade from a certain awful Safety.

6. Sam Mustipher, C  Notre Dame

Gotta add some depth at Center eventually.

7. Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR  Texas

Every year there's at least one dude that slides hard.  I think this dude is a candidate this year, and the Chiefs probably should double up at WR with how many they've lost.

I think we are fine at RB.  They will bring in some UDFA.  Deep class this year.  There will be plenty to look at bringing in.

I like Campbell.  Meh on Winiovich.  He's okay.  Mullen is fine.  I like Ya-Sin better, but don't see him lasting til that spot.  I obviously like Knox.  Have him in my mock.

12 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Now that we're entering the garbo tier of FA, here's an update

1. Parris Campbell, WR  Ohio State

The Chiefs are in a real bind with the Tyreek situation and I think it really forces their hand to go WR here.  If Hill misses time or is permabanned/cut, Sammy is your #1 WR and DRob is #2---yikes.  When Sammy misses his usual 6-8 weeks, Robinson is your #1.  No fucking way.

Campbell has that elite speed to soften the blow if things are bad with the situation and if it's not bad, they can let Sammy go next year.

2.  Trayvon Mullen, CB  Clemson

After WR is addressed, CB is the second biggest need.

2.  Chase Winovich, DE  Michigan

I think he has some similarities to Dee Ford.  Not quite as fast, but pretty close but he is a more capable edge setter and run defender IMO.  Looks like a lesbian.

3.  Dawson Knox, TE  Ole' Miss

Now that Block in the Back Harris is off to Cleveland, time to invest in a replacement.

5.  Iman Marshall, CB  USC

The Chiefs need to double up at Corner with all the striking out they've done in FA.

6.   Khari Willis, S  Michigan State

I think they could stand to upgrade from a certain awful Safety.

6. Sam Mustipher, C  Notre Dame

Gotta add some depth at Center eventually.

7. Lil'Jordan Humphrey, WR  Texas

Every year there's at least one dude that slides hard.  I think this dude is a candidate this year, and the Chiefs probably should double up at WR with how many they've lost.

This one is awesome. I love the WR pick. Even if Tyreek is cleared and extended, they cant afford to keep him and Watkins both. This prepares for either or. I am SUPER high on Winovich. He won me over at the combine. Reading up on him, he plays/practices with that same tenacity. Im a huge Mullen fan too. This would be a tremendous draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Trade -

Chiefs trade picks 201 and 92 for CB Jimmy Smith and pick 123

Sign:

DE Ziggy Ansah

TE Austin Sefarin-Jenkins

Draft:

1. Greg Little, OT  Ole Miss

The reality of this draft is there just aren't 32 first round caliber guys.  Hell, you could make an argument that there aren't even 20 guys with a first round grade.  I think when it comes down to it, I'd roll the dice at this point.  I think with Little, you can slide him in at LG right now and get better pass protection than you were getting from Cam Erving (won't take much).  You've also got an ace in the sleeve if you don't like what you see from Fisher, or he gets hurt.  Right now if either OT is injured, they're fucked.

2.  Erik McCoy, C  Texas A&M

I think if they had to, they would start Reiter at Center.  If they can realistically avoid it, they will.   

2.  Andy Isabela, WR  Mass

They reportedly had a private workout with him, and his underwear olympic numbers seem to line up.

4.  Jaquan Johnson, DB  Miami

Someone that could really excel in the Chiefs sub packages.

5.  Ben Banogu, DE  TCU

Someone to mold into the LEO role.

6.  Bryce Love, RB  Stanford

I'd stash this kid on the IR and let him get the opportunity to fully heal up.  Could be a steal a year later.

7.  Jahlani Tavai, LB  Hawaii

I figure they will add to LB at some point.

Here's on that really focuses on the LoS on both sides of the ball. 

This draft was really an emphasis on Pat Mahomes, which is something I'll never ever fault the Chiefs for doing.  He has another receiver to work with and much improved blocking up front.

Fisher - Little - McCoy - Ldt - Schwartz looks a lot better than Fisher - Erving - Reiter - Ldt - Schwartz and now they've got a lot more (quality) flexibility. Pressure inside was a major issue for the Chiefs when the games started to matter more.

I don’t care for the trade, but I agree that offense is a very real possibility early.  I have been hearing that they like Bradbury and think he is very similiar to Morse, which is the type of center Andy likes.  Just pundit ramblings.  They don’t know any more than us, but...  he could be in play at 29.

I also like Banogu and have him in the latest mock I am working on.  Same general area.  He sucks laterally, but could be good pinning his ears back in sub packages.

As far as the trade, Veach seems to like his draft picks to use as ammo to move around in the draft.  At this point in the offseason, I see him set on doing that instead of trading them for players.  But, who knows.

Solid mock.

Archived