Opinions on Houston's dollar value

2 hours ago, xen said:

Ford led all players not named Aaron Donald in pressures under 2.5 seconds.  That's awesome for a wide edge.  

One thing I do like about Ford is he called the franchise tag a no brainer.   To me, it tells me he's got confidence in himself but isn't a ultra selfish guy by holding out.   What scares me is that he will be playing for a new DC and could easily surpass this year and become our new Justin Houston.

The more I think about it the more I believe neither player will be in KC for 2020. Houston is the better player at pretty much the same cost but 2 years older. On the other hand Ford is just a 28-year old pass rusher who has a specific purpose similar to Spag's previous SB win. I think the idea is to unload both players in favor of more traditional DEs but the timing is entirely an age/value issue. Houston won't bring as much next year as a 31-year old guy and Ford will likely bring in a 3rd or at least a 4th for 2021 after being let go next year. So I think this is all a process of replacing both edge guys while hoping for a SB push in 2019, which is the only reason they keep Ford.

That being said they would be stupid to ignore a solid offer for Ford either.

21 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Yep. He has to keep containment. That's really it. But he and Chris Jones have both been known to blow that. I think Spags and Daly can help there though. 

You do raise a good point there.  Will be interesting to see what Daly can do with Dee Ford.

Archived