La Canfora says Chiefs are looking at big offensive move

59 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

of course it could also be a way for the chiefs to drive up the price on a player like Bell because they know the Raiders are rumored to be interested in him and

they have a lot of cap space but just want to fuck with the mind of a division rival

I thought about this very thing earlier.   That would be awesome imo.   Jump in just to drive up the price for an opponent, but then again the Steelers are in AFC as well.  

How much better is Bell than Hunt?   And we lost this year because our D couldn't stop anyone and a silly penalty.    Not sure how adding a 10 million dollar rb is going to make our team better than say a 10 million dollar DB/S/OLB.    We aren't in the Alex Smith era any more were we need players to elevate his play, our qb elevates those around his play.   Check out our receivers stats, Oline accolades, overall record.    

26 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

How much better is Bell than Hunt?   And we lost this year because our D couldn't stop anyone and a silly penalty.    Not sure how adding a 10 million dollar rb is going to make our team better than say a 10 million dollar DB/S/OLB.    We aren't in the Alex Smith era any more were we need players to elevate his play, our qb elevates those around his play.   Check out our receivers stats, Oline accolades, overall record.    

He’s not. Hunts big play ability isn’t matched by bell. Hunt no pun intended, is a tough SOB. Also not matched by bell. No thanks on bell.

These stories and rumors are just that, stories and rumors.  Any writer/reporter without a great idea of what to write can always fall back on the old "team x is talking to team y" story and speculate about possible deals.  Every GM has probably been in contact with every other GM and nearly every agent of every FA.  Some players or their agents put out stories just to promote themselves and we're foolish to put much value in them.  Why would a team with cap issues like the Chiefs, who seem to find RBs in the third round that can play instantly, that are in real need of defense;,; why would they pay out big bucks for a disgruntled RB who hasn't played for a season?  

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

Paying a guy huge money who hasn't played football for 1.5 years is just a recipe for disaster.

I think it's actually the opposite in this case.  I'd feel more comfortable paying a RB that rested for the last year over one taking a lot of wear and tear.

That's about the only position I'd feel comfortable saying that about.

I think you are all assuming L. Bell is going to get a huge contract and he's not.

The highest paid RBs in the league are Gurley and D. Johnson, the next highest paid RB are D. Freeman and L. McCoy at like $8M/year.

The entire league knows it's bad business for a RB to get huge money so I doubt Bell will.

Bell probably has 3-4 good years left, maybe, so that will be a factor as well.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

I think you are all assuming L. Bell is going to get a huge contract and he's not.

The highest paid RBs in the league are Gurley and D. Johnson, the next highest paid RB are D. Freeman and L. McCoy at like $8M/year.

The entire league knows it's bad business for a RB to get huge money so I doubt Bell will.

The Jets have 100 million in cap space, zero common sense and a burning desire to surround the giant forehead with weapons.

5 hours ago, dksww said:

I was asked this question today at work..

Do i consider Bell & Gurley to be elite RB's

Yes on Bell , No on Gurley

having said that i would pass on Bell with no hesitation, however i do not work for the chiefs so my opinion means shit

It wouldn't totally surprise me to see us make a big offensive addition.  We have to have a lot of weapons to keep making the most out of Mahomes.  Anyone could go down.  As an example, look at Watkins last season when he was out.  Right now Kelce had clean out surgery on his ankle.  Probably nothing but won't be available until camp, no OTA's.  But he could go down in the middle of the season, anyway. All of a sudden we are fairly desperate at RB, having only Damien Williams.  A move for Bell would be a very good thing, or someone like him.  We need a legitimate back-up TE capable of playing in two tight end sets.  That would terrify any defense.  So, my feeling is we have to add a really good offensive player in FA and use the early rounds of the draft on defensive guys from top college programs who are capable of being first year starters, especially in the secondary.

Bell is just too expensive for a position the Chiefs can fill in the third round or even the second if the value is there.  Their needs on offense are interior lineman, second TE, RB, and maybe the replacement for Watkins down the road.  Unless a rare talent falls to them, I think all those can be filled in the third round or later.

Archived