Give us a combine update

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is...prior to the draft there were probably 30-40 athletes who were mentioned as possible picks ahead of KC. Now with the combine there are guys screaming up the charts. It's a heavy defensive draft again. Just what KC is looking for and I believe a very good player is going to be there at #29. And I am not counting Veach out as possibly trading to move up or down to draft his guys.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Abram showed well too for someone designated 'in the box'

Impressive 40 time but from what I read he's a stiff hip guy. 3 cone drill will be big for him. Isiah Johnson at 6'2 210 and running a 4.4 today makes him a very intriguing day three developmental guy. With that size and speed he may be overdrafted, but Spags likes size. 

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What are your guys thoughts on Jamel Dean. Id seen him mocked as high as rd 2 before todays 4.3 flat at 6'1" 206 lbs.  Ridiculous numbers overall.

Size and speed are top ten good. Three ACL surgeries and not even being cleared medically to play at Ohio State at all is clearly a massive red flag. I do like this coaches comment ""He's big time. He's a big-time player," Malzahn said. "He just does his job and he can fly. He's a big guy, long arms, can fly, he's a technician, he's smart. You want to know where he's at from an offensive standpoint is probably the best way to put it."

23 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You can tell Gus is talking out of his ass when you see his lips moving lol

Dean isn't on my board, honestly--a pretty good player though.  Too many ACL tears for me to even consider taking as high as he'll go.

This wasn't some draft promotion but rather a quote before last season on what he expected from Dean.  You simply can't overdraft guys with major injury histories. But there is a point in this draft where your getting the right blend of risk reward on guys like Dean and Rodney Anderson. 

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

To sort of get off into the weeds, but stay on topic, I'm just not really sure I find a quality #1 corner in this class.

That's why I like the idea of the Chiefs moving down and getting the CB in the mid second.  Unless there's a safety they love at #29, why reach for a CB that would be there 15 picks later?

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

That's why I like the idea of the Chiefs moving down and getting the CB in the mid second.  Unless there's a safety they love at #29, why reach for a CB that would be there 15 picks later?

If the rankings are any indication, which they are not, there won't be any Safety or CB ranked around our pick. A trade up packaging Houston or Ford is just as likely as a trade down to early to mid 2nd. As things currently stand I don't think Veach stays put unless he's targeting a DE.

12 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

To sort of get off into the weeds, but stay on topic, I'm just not really sure I find a quality #1 corner in this class.

Agree.  Ya-Sin might have the highest ceiling and he needs a lot of work.  If I had to pick one at 29, it would be Murphy or him.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Don't be surprised if it is an EDGE or TE that goes at 29.

On the local front...

Washburn's Corey Ballentine did well at the combines.  Was seen talking to the Chiefs after the combines.  NFL.com's mock draft has the Chiefs taking him in the third round.

"Corey Ballentine, Washburn
      Best team fits: Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs.
     Analysis: Ballentine helped himself in Mobile a few weeks ago and confirmed his athleticism in front of scouts Monday in Indianapolis. He was one of the best performers in on-field drills, displaying a nice transition and catching nearly everything thrown his way -- something lots of other participants could not say. His jumps (39.5-inch vertical, 11-3 broad) were excellent, and his 40 speed (4.47 seconds), strength (15 reps on the bench press) and performance in the agility drills (6.82 three-cone, 4.14 short shuttle) were good enough to keep him in the conversation as a second- or third-round pick."

Archived