Give us a combine update

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

On the local front...

Washburn's Corey Ballentine did well at the combines.  Was seen talking to the Chiefs after the combines.  NFL.com's mock draft has the Chiefs taking him in the third round.

"Corey Ballentine, Washburn
      Best team fits: Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs.
     Analysis: Ballentine helped himself in Mobile a few weeks ago and confirmed his athleticism in front of scouts Monday in Indianapolis. He was one of the best performers in on-field drills, displaying a nice transition and catching nearly everything thrown his way -- something lots of other participants could not say. His jumps (39.5-inch vertical, 11-3 broad) were excellent, and his 40 speed (4.47 seconds), strength (15 reps on the bench press) and performance in the agility drills (6.82 three-cone, 4.14 short shuttle) were good enough to keep him in the conversation as a second- or third-round pick."

position?

1 hour ago, Balto said:

All in favor of pulling a Falcons “Julio” move for Metcalf FOLLOW ME..............LETS GO..........?  Anyone ?

Absolutely 100% no. If they went all in for a trade up, it would be for JoshAllen would be my guess. 

Any normal fan: "Historically good offense. Bottom 3 defense. What do you think we should address?"....

Balto : "Offense!"

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Absolutely 100% no. If they went all in for a trade up, it would be for JoshAllen would be my guess. 

Any normal fan: "Historically good offense. Bottom 3 defense. What do you think we should address?"....

Its not likely happening. I saw about 4 comments from Veach yesterday that all led to the secondary being the focus early in the draft. “We’re certainly going to be aggressive in that area,” Veach said Thursday. He later added: “It’s a passing league, and everyone is trying to create mismatches in the secondary. You can’t have enough cover guys.”

Inside Lucas Oil Stadium on Monday, Veach, Spagnuolo and head coach Andy Reid watched a number of prospects — notably Trayvon Mullen (Clemson), Rock Ya-Sin (Temple), Joejuan Williams (Vanderbilt), Byron Murphy (Washington) and Lonnie Johnson (Kentucky) — who could fit well into their new defensive scheme. Ya-Sin, Williams and Murphy all had interviews with the Chiefs, whether at the combine or the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago.

26 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I'm in favor of adding to the Offense more if it was a move you absolutely had to make, but lmbo Metcalf is no Julio Jones.

20 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Its not likely happening. I saw about 4 comments from Veach yesterday that all led to the secondary being the focus early in the draft. “We’re certainly going to be aggressive in that area,” Veach said Thursday. He later added: “It’s a passing league, and everyone is trying to create mismatches in the secondary. You can’t have enough cover guys.”

Inside Lucas Oil Stadium on Monday, Veach, Spagnuolo and head coach Andy Reid watched a number of prospects — notably Trayvon Mullen (Clemson), Rock Ya-Sin (Temple), Joejuan Williams (Vanderbilt), Byron Murphy (Washington) and Lonnie Johnson (Kentucky) — who could fit well into their new defensive scheme. Ya-Sin, Williams and Murphy all had interviews with the Chiefs, whether at the combine or the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago.

I dont want them to. Id rather trade down and get another couple second rounders personally. 4 second rounders sound great to me. Thats the sweet spot for CB anyway in this draft.

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont want them to. Id rather trade down and get another couple second rounders personally. 4 second rounders sound great to me. Thats the sweet spot for CB anyway in this draft.

We've got 4 picks in the top 100. If we can add another I'm certainly on board. I just think we have to be aggressive enough to add two secondary players out of those picks. 

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

We've got 4 picks in the top 100. If we can add another I'm certainly on board. I just think we have to be aggressive enough to add two secondary players out of those picks. 

2 starters would be a huge win IMO.

23 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I honestly wont be surprised if all 4 are defense. 2CB, 1 S and 1 DE. Gotta plan for Fords exit after next year.

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I honestly wont be surprised if all 4 are defense. 2CB, 1 S and 1 DE. Gotta plan for Fords exit after next year.

What I really appreciate here is that they are really trying to build a defense and not just throw some band aids at a broken group and hope that’s enough. Veachs ability to draft is going to make or break this plan. If it does work, we could be on the cusp os being THE team in the AFC for years to come. 

53 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Maybe Houston falls in love with someone and gives us both their 2nds for our 1st.

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

Don't be surprised if it is an EDGE or TE that goes at 29.

Edge?  Okay, there's a need there.  TE?  That's a luxury they can't afford with all the other needs.  I understand the BPA in the first round theory, but with a team that's close to being very good the Chiefs have to address their glaring problems.  

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It wouldn't hurt to throw in a LB.  Assuming that Houston is gone, they are thin with only Hitchens and O' as probable starters. 

It's gotta be defense at #29 right? Assuming the Chiefs don't trade out of it. I would think that if an offensive player were equal or even slightly higher graded to a defensive player, they would still go with a defensive player because of the need there. In other words the offensive player would have to be head and shoulders the best player on their board...a steal at #29. It could happen I suppose but what is the more likely scenario?

Archived