Smith's Deal

This is very good news. I think it's a great deal for both sides. We have time to develop Murray. We can feel good about taking a trade for Daniels if it pops up. We can franchise Houston.

We just need to develop our young WRs, Oline and defensive back field this year. We have a ton of picks next spring for the positions that still look bad.

I love cutting Succup and Nico. It shows that they want to build regardless if it makes their draft picks look bad and regardless if an average vet gives you a warm and fuzzy.

Our future looks really bright IMO. Yes, we will likely get our ass handed to us this year with this schedule. But no better way to improve than to suffer through the leagues toughest schedule.

I can't wait.

I wasn't happy about the pick for Dee Ford. It may have been a knee jerk reaction by Dorsey to find an alternative to Houston rather than Hali. He may have known the upcoming struggle to sign their star OLB. However, Dee Ford is not nearly as complete of a LB as Houston or Hali, and he may never become what the Chiefs hope for. 

There are a few things that have not worked for Dorsey, but you have to give him credit for trying. Ford may learn to develop a repertoire of moves, and become a solid OLB in two or three years. Fisher may learn to block, and quit reaching. Nico Johnson may develop some hidden quickness, and awareness that has eluded him thus far. Cummings Sanders may come in contact with a faith healer, and all will be well. There have been some misses. We can all agree on that. However, there have been some exciting hits, that give us hope. Davis, Kelce, Kush, Catapano, Cooper, Hammond, and Martin seem to be the real deal. DAT, and Wilson seem to be hits this year. There is hope Gaines, Ford, and Fulton will be able to help some this year or next. Tardiff seems to be a long shot, but he does have the potential to be good. Murray has the smarts, and timing to be a decent backup for many years in the league. Santos beat out Succop. Charcandrick West has the speed and size to be very good. Sorenson is slow, but is always in the right place at the right time, and could be a decent journeyman. Van Dyke may learn to be a good DB in a few seasons. The jury is still out, but there aren't a lot of misses compared to the past. 

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/05/thursday-night-football-saturday-television/15156675/" rel="nofollow">www.usatoday.com/story/sports/...ision/15156675/</a>

SMITH'S STAND: Quarterback Alex Smith made a stand in negotiations with the Kansas City Chiefs – not just for himself, but for the next veteran QB who isn't interested in a pay-as-you-go deal like the ones signed in recent months by San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton.

Smith, 30, strongly suggested to USA TODAY Sports during training camp he wouldn't take Dalton's deal. So, the Chiefs had a choice: Commit financially to Smith as their QB for the next three years, or let him play out the last year of his old deal and take their chances.

It's not surprising they chose the former course, given supply and demand. The four-year extension Smith signed last week included $30.9 million over the first two years that's fully guaranteed, plus a $14.1 million base salary in 2016 that will become fully guaranteed in March.

If NFL teams had their way, every deal would have just a one-year guarantee. And for players such as Kaepernick and Dalton – second-round picks under a rookie wage scale that made their four-year rookie deals worth about $5 million – cashing in however they can makes sense.

Had Smith taken a similar deal as a nine-year veteran with over $65 million in career earnings, though, it would've signaled something else for quarterbacks going forward. If it's good enough for all these guys, a team might ask the next veteran QB, why isn't it good enough for you?

The list with expiring contracts after the 2015 season is a distinguished one, including the New York Giants' Eli Manning, San Diego's Philip Rivers, Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Arizona's Carson Palmer.

If you are realist like some us, we too predicted this. You can't win without an OLINE.

and without receivers. The Chiefs needed to address their offensive line and their wide receiver situations. They did neither. They will end up paying for that. 

The beauty of Al's contract is the ability to eventually cut or move him in 2-3 years.  If the bottom falls out on this season you may have a shot at Marcus Mariotta or Jameis Winston.  I suspect I'll watch them a little more closely than I had originally intended.

The beauty of Al's contract is the ability to eventually cut or move him in 2-3 years. If the bottom falls out on this season you may have a shot at Marcus Mariotta or Jameis Winston. I suspect I'll watch them a little more closely than I had originally intended.

Lol unfortunately yes

The Chiefs have to do better than giving a QB money. If they believe in that QB so much they are willing to pay him, then they had better surround him with enough talent. They did not do that. The offensive line was horrible today. Who was open? A Smith is not going to throw people open. The only people that get thrown open are the opposing defensive backs. Our players need to get open. For the most part, they did not. Also, you cannot continue to go to an undersized receiver (Avery), who does not fight for the ball. There was a reason why Smith was intercepted on three passes to Avery. Avery made little effort to contest passes, and break up misfires. He has never done it. His game is as a speedy receiver... not one who is particularly tough. 

The Chiefs have to do better than giving a QB money. If they believe in that QB so much they are willing to pay him, then they had better surround him with enough talent. They did not do that. The offensive line was horrible today. Who was open? A Smith is not going to throw people open. The only people that get thrown open are the opposing defensive backs. Our players need to get open. For the most part, they did not. Also, you cannot continue to go to an undersized receiver (Avery), who does not fight for the ball. There was a reason why Smith was intercepted on three passes to Avery. Avery made little effort to contest passes, and break up misfires. He has never done it. His game is as a speedy receiver... not one who is particularly tough. 

I thought that too.  Al's deep throws looked like helium balloons, but Avery made absolutely no fight for the ball.  He's worthless.

The help needed today was proper fucking play calling and using Charles and Kelce. It's was a dumpster fire.

Tell us the truth now, you never liked the Chiefs bringing in Reid did you. You can always tell when a fan didn't like the pick up of a certain coach because they cuss most decisions made and can't accept the fact that another team played better. It's always got to be the coaches fault. If they liked the coaching pick then it's the players fault. It's been that way in the past and will continue to be that way in the future.

Tell us the truth now, you never liked the Chiefs bringing in Reid did you. You can always tell when a fan didn't like the pick up of a certain coach because they cuss most decisions made and can't accept the fact that another team played better. It's always got to be the coaches fault. If they liked the coaching pick then it's the players fault. It's been that way in the past and will continue to be that way in the future.

I was super happy with Reid. Still am. Doesn't change the fact that this week he sucked. It was a team loss but the coaching and play calling was atrocious. Telling it like it is.

I'll answer to that.  No, I didn't and yesterday was exhibition as to why.  And you obviously like the coaching hire because you've gone out of your way to place any accountability on Reid.  The truth is somewhere in between.  However, the players on offense aren't good enough so its tough to say they didn't execute.  There's no denying Reid's play calling sucks, at least for the personnel in place.    

I'll answer to that. No, I didn't and yesterday was exhibition as to why. And you obviously like the coaching hire because you've gone out of your way to place any accountability on Reid. The truth is somewhere in between. However, the players on offense aren't good enough so its tough to say they didn't execute. There's no denying Reid's play calling sucks, at least for the personnel in place.

Pretty much. Although I think Reid can turn it around. Star player getting 7 carries is the whole story...

The one thing I liked about Dick Vermeil was that in those early years when the team sucked he never stopped feeding Priest Holmes the ball.  No matter how far the team was behind in a game, he avoided that stupid “abandon the running game” mentality.  Why?  Because Priest was his best option to get back in the game.  The team had Snoop Minnis at WR so every team doubled Gonzo.  The passing game struggled.

Sound familiar?  Never stop giving your best player the ball, ever.  Charles is always one carry away from busting a big play.  

The only excuse I can find for Reid is if they were purposely limiting him due to his previous injury.  However I've seen him operate in this manner too many times previously.

The one thing I liked about Dick Vermeil was that in those early years when the team sucked he never stopped feeding Priest Holmes the ball. No matter how far the team was behind in a game, he avoided that stupid “abandon the running game” mentality. Why? Because Priest was his best option to get back in the game. The team had Snoop Minnis at WR so every team doubled Gonzo. The passing game struggled.

Sound familiar? Never stop giving your best player the ball, ever. Charles is always one carry away from busting a big play.

The only excuse I can find for Reid is if they were purposely limiting him due to his previous injury. However I've seen him operate in this manner too many times previously.

No excuse. Example raiders game.

We were only down 20-3. Two big plays from a game.

Andy Reid got fooled by Smith's new contract and thought he was capable of throwing the ball downfield. After floating those interceptions we need to remember he is a dink and dunk game manager that needs a superstar RB to have any success. Fire away but you'll all agree by the end of the year.

Wow....with all the issues this team has you want to latch onto the Alex Smith's contract and run with that? I am rolling on the floor right now. We have a pathetic offensive line (not Smith's fault)...no premier wide receivers (not Smith's fault)....a patchwork secondary (not Smith's fault)...a rash of suspensions and now injuries (not Smith's fault) and again you want to focus on two under thrown balls as the reason we are in the situation we are in? I don't excuse Alex Smith on those throws....they were horrible. But a drop in the proverbial bucket of bad things I saw yesterday.

Wow....with all the issues this team has you want to latch onto the Alex Smith's contract and run with that? I am rolling on the floor right now. We have a pathetic offensive line (not Smith's fault)...no premier wide receivers (not Smith's fault)....a patchwork secondary (not Smith's fault)...a rash of suspensions and now injuries (not Smith's fault) and again you want to focus on two under thrown balls as the reason we are in the situation we are in? I don't excuse Alex Smith on those throws....they were horrible. But a drop in the proverbial bucket of bad things I saw yesterday.

I agree. But I'm tired of hearing about his excuses.

Archived