From KC Star - Berry in Ring of Honor?

I pulled these two quotes off of The KC Star. First: 

"Berry has shown himself to be exceptionally gifted, and among the most respected men who’ve ever played for the Chiefs. When the time comes, his name will be included in the Arrowhead Stadium ring of honor."

Please tell me that the author is crazy?  Mr. "Day-to-Day" in the Ring of Honor?  I know he is a three-time "All Pro," but isn't The Ring for those who have done a little bit more?

The article goes on to say:   

"They basically have no choice now but to go on with each other, now a marriage of obligation, each side knowing the payoff of a relationship that’s now nine years and $90 million deep just missed on its payoff."

So Berry has gotten $90 million so far.  Sound like enough payment without the Ring of Honor.  What sayeth the hive?  The Ring of Honor, yes or no. 

Gotta play the damn game to make the ring.  This isn't a Delaney situation where his career was cut short by a tragic (freak) incident.  He's the most overrated player in franchise history, simply because it doesn't matter how talented you are if you continually miss time from injury.

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Eventually?  Yeah, wouldn't surprise me.  They're going to start running short on names to enshrine considering the Chiefs sucked largely for around 2 decades.

Yep 1998-2012 was indeed lean decade and a half. Basically the Gonzo era with only 3 playoff berths in 15 years.

Of course that era was bookended by 12 playoffs in 14 seasons which will overload us with marginal ring candidates in addition to those who really deserve it. 

To me you should have a clearly brilliant career to be considered without any January wins. 

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

Gotta play the damn game to make the ring.  This isn't a Delaney situation where his career was cut short by a tragic (freak) incident.  He's the most overrated player in franchise history, simply because it doesn't matter how talented you are if you continually miss time from injury.

That doesn't make him overrated. He is one of the best safeties in Chiefs history. He's also been plagued by injuries and worst luck of serious health conditions. The 2 topics are separate when talking about overrated (talent equating to on field performance). 

You want to argue he isn't worth his contract then being injured as often as he has makes a lot of sense. He hasn't been worth his contract. But when healthy enough to play, he has been one of the best safeties Chiefs ever had.

2 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

That doesn't make him overrated. He is one of the best safeties in Chiefs history. He's also been plagued by injuries and worst luck of serious health conditions. The 2 topics are separate when talking about overrated (talent equating to on field performance). 

You want to argue he isn't worth his contract then being injured as often as he has makes a lot of sense. He hasn't been worth his contract. But when healthy enough to play, he has been one of the best safeties Chiefs ever had.

Availability is more important than talent.  It doesn't matter how much talent a person has if they're never on the field/court.  

I kinda feel that honor belongs to those guys who were good and did it for a while.   DJ and Hali come to mind.  But it would be hard to find a bunch of players better than Berry.  If Berry can come back and have two more solid years then sure and if he can have two more elite years he might even warrant an invite to Canton.  But right now no.

9 hours ago, moons314 said:

Availability is more important than talent.  It doesn't matter how much talent a person has if they're never on the field/court.  

I agree, but to say he is overrated is just factually wrong. Does his injuries and health keep him off the ring of honor? IDK, and to be honest IDC. Will he be in the HOF? Nope. Like you said, his injuries and health didn't allow him to be on the field enough. Especially in the AFC Championship where he played but wasn't the Berry of old. Again, I think your choice of word "overrated" doesn't apply to Berry. When healthy he is one of the top safeties to play the game. That is NOT overrated. The problem is he isn't healthy enough to play consistently which impacts his career accolades. Those are 2 different topics IMO.

2 minutes ago, bamaroyal said:

The most important ability is availability, and that is something he has lacked. He has been unavailable half of his career. 

So getting cancer is an ability? Getting torn Achilles tendon is an ability? We as humans can just shut those off like a light switch? 

No human can control injuries. That's not an ability. 

16 hours ago, moons314 said:

That doesn't make him overrated. He's justly rated as one of the best if not the best Safety in the game. However due to availability he's definitely overpaid and we should be looking for alternatives for the position.

An overrated guy could never make this tackle: https://www.chiefs.com/video/eric-berry-s-ninja-esque-tackle-16355991

2 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

So getting cancer is an ability? Getting torn Achilles tendon is an ability? We as humans can just shut those off like a light switch? 

No human can control injuries. That's not an ability. 

Maybe this is the root of the disagreement on this topic. I believe injury prevention is an ability/ genetic.

dont you have friends that are always sick? Similarly do you know anyone who never gets sick? Never has broken a bone? Has never needed surgery?

there are 100% people with genetics of a stronger immune system, less inflamation in the body, stronger bones, stronger tendons.

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

He must be the best Safety in the history of the NFL to make the ring of honor playing so few seasons.

He's played in 5 full seasons and has 4 seasons where he has played in less than a third of the games (including three where he barely played at all). When he's played, he's probably been a top 5 safety by nearly anyones account. But even there he isn't the player Earl Thomas has been. And Thomas has played in 137 games over the same period Berry has only played 91. I guess I'm saying we took the wrong safety. LOL

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Maybe this is the root of the disagreement on this topic. I believe injury prevention is an ability/ genetic.

dont you have friends that are always sick? Similarly do you know anyone who never gets sick? Never has broken a bone? Has never needed surgery?

there are 100% people with genetics of a stronger immune system, less inflamation in the body, stronger bones, stronger tendons.

I don't disagree with the facts about genetic disposition. BUT Berry doesn't control that. If the debate was about locking Berry up to another contract, I think his availability is relevant to the topic. If we're discussing his career as it relates to HOF or Ring of Honor it is relevant. But in the discussion of a player being overrated based on ability, I think his health and injuries are irrelevant to that topic.

But for the sake of droning on and on about the side conversation from the original post, I can agree to disagree with you. You are correct that we disagree on this topic because of our perspectives on ability as it relates to injuries/health.

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He's played in 5 full seasons and has 4 seasons where he has played in less than a third of the games (including three where he barely played at all). When he's played, he's probably been a top 5 safety by nearly anyones account. But even there he isn't the player Earl Thomas has been. And Thomas has played in 137 games over the same period Berry has only played 91. I guess I'm saying we took the wrong safety. LOL

I’ll disagree in the talent part. Earl played next to Kam, Sherman, and maxwell.. berry played with no one on that level 

14 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

As a resident of Seattle I would disagree about Thomas being better at anything other than availability. He has been much healthier but if he was our pick I'm not sure if we would even stick with him after his rookie deal. He's more of a product of his supporting cast than sheer talent as he has been showing time after time whenever they had some injury troubles, especially with Chancellor who has been touted as the better Safety. Thomas next to guys like Lewis or Dirty Dan or whatever we had at CB would have been a disaster for us. His pay has a huge part in it but he has been criticized more than any other player in town including Sherman the diva. 

Berry is one of those guys that makes others around him better like a QB. Wagner is the Seattle version of that and Thomas benefited greatly from his presence as well as Kam who should have been one of our picks in that draft. 

17 minutes ago, sith13 said:

As a resident of Seattle I would disagree about Thomas being better at anything other than availability. He has been much healthier but if he was our pick I'm not sure if we would even stick with him after his rookie deal. He's more of a product of his supporting cast than sheer talent as he has been showing time after time whenever they had some injury troubles, especially with Chancellor who has been touted as the better Safety. Thomas next to guys like Lewis or Dirty Dan or whatever we had at CB would have been a disaster for us. His pay has a huge part in it but he has been criticized more than any other player in town including Sherman the diva. 

Berry is one of those guys that makes others around him better like a QB. Wagner is the Seattle version of that and Thomas benefited greatly from his presence as well as Kam who should have been one of our picks in that draft. 

Exactly. 

Archived