Justin Houston....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Matt Verderame reported this last week and just confirmed on Sportsradio 810 tonight.  He added it’s unlikely any team will trade for that salary and Houston is unwilling to take pay cut here minus more guarantee we won’t give.  IE...he’s likely about to get cut. 

Verderame added a few other interesting things he says come from good sources within organization. He leans toward believing they will cut Berry post June 1 now that he can pass physical but like most people he’s only guessing there. 

He said his sources rave about both Speaks and ODaniel and expect breakout years from both.  He expects very few resources to be thrown at offense or even RB position. They are amenable to bringing back Harris.

They won’t pay big money for Nelson.  And surprise it’s the secondary that will be offseason focus. 

Personally I hate to see Houston go, but it's the nature of the business. Was a great player to watch when he was healthy and in his prime.  

Wouldn't mind seeing a player for player type trade versus a low pick due to his salary. Maybe a nfc team switching to 3-4 would like to move some pieces.

More good news, multiple sources stating there's interest.  I mean it sucks to see him go, but this is the shit the Patriots pull so it's nice to clear the cap space while getting draft pick(s) in return.

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I can’t believe other teams would be interested in taking on this contract, but if so trade him away.

It's teams with loads of cap space and pass rush is at a premium.

I don't think they'll get 1st or 2nd round comps, but a 3rd or 4th is possible.

His contract is huge for the next two years but thats probably all he has left in the tank so a team with lots to spend gets a good player (expensive but good) but also doesn't have to commit 4-5 years for it.    And his numbers when he got healthy are very good numbers.    I'd jump stumps if we could fleece someone out of a 2nd rounder for him but I'd be happy to get anther 3rd or 4th like others stated.  I'm not surprised we are shopping him but I am a little shocked there are multiple teams interested.   Come on Veach make it happen.

Also excited about the reports within the org that they love Speaks and DOD.   We need some of those guys to step up and be studs.

58 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I can’t believe other teams would be interested in taking on this contract, but if so trade him away.

His contract is actually pretty good for the team that trades for him at only $15.5M this year.

I find it interesting it it’s worded “exchanging trade talks center around Houston”. To me that says there might be a player from another team/s involved.  Veach did do the same with the Alex Smith trade and tried to get a player with the Peters trade.

31 minutes ago, Balto said:

I find it interesting it it’s worded “exchanging trade talks center around Houston”. To me that says there might be a player from another team/s involved.  Veach did do the same with the Alex Smith trade and tried to get a player with the Peters trade.

I'd be happy with anything as most of us thought it would be nothing more than a cut. 

1 hour ago, Balto said:

His contract is actually pretty good for the team that trades for him at only $15.5M this year.

Good point. 2 years at 16 mil per season is still overpriced.but not horribly like the 21 we have on our books.  Another team may also restructure him.   

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point. 2 years at 16 mil per season is still overpriced.but not horribly like the 21 we have on our books.  Another team may also restructure him.   

if he won't restructure his contract with us, why would he suddenly be receptive to doing so with a new team

10 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

If you're John Dorsey and direly looking to make the Browns a winner, this move is a no brainer.

The Browns would upgrade with Houston across from Garrett and gain a Defensive leader.  His cap hit isn't an issue with 80m in space.

25 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

if he won't restructure his contract with us, why would he suddenly be receptive to doing so with a new team

He will do it, if we bump his guaranteed money. We wisely aren’t going to do that but another team might.  

59 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

If you're John Dorsey and direly looking to make the Browns a winner, this move is a no brainer.

The Browns would upgrade with Houston across from Garrett and gain a Defensive leader.  His cap hit isn't an issue with 80m in space.

Jets and Colts have 100 mill to spend. I could see either being interested. Especially the Colts, given the fact Ballard knows Houston personally.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

This is what bothers me about Houston. KC paid him massively and his play has clearly digressed. You'd think he'd be willing to work with KC to stay but it's all about the money. 
Guess I can't blame him but he's massively overpaid and KC needs some cap space. 

11 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Jets and Colts have 100 mill to spend. I could see either being interested. Especially the Colts, given the fact Ballard knows Houston personally.

I don't think the Colts will be interested.  Chris Ballard is very, very strict when it comes to spending appropriately and I don't think Houston fits what he's aiming for.

The Jets will spend on anything with a pulse.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think the Colts will be interested.  Chris Ballard is very, very strict when it comes to spending appropriately and I don't think Houston fits what he's aiming for.

The Jets will spend on anything with a pulse.

49ers are reportedly one of the teams who could be interested. Personally if I'm a team playing on turf I'm not in on this deal because of his knee issues. Maybe that's just me. Also not sure what type of compensation we are talking about here. What are we guessing? 3rd-4th rounder at best?

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

49ers are reportedly one of the teams who could be interested. Personally if I'm a team playing on turf I'm not in on this deal because of his knee issues. Maybe that's just me. Also not sure what type of compensation we are talking about here. What are we guessing? 3rd-4th rounder at best?

I think because of the fact that he's on the wrong side of 30, that keeps him from being worth a before Saturday haul.  But I do think he'll hold more value to someone like John Dorsey (made him the richest Defender in the NFL when he signed the extension), so I think he'll be more likely to pay a 4th while another franchise may only do a 5 at best.

When you're advising a guy to spend millions of dollars, familiarity sure does mean a lot.

Meh Houston ranked very well with PFF and even the eye test showed that he still has it and his contract and health should be the only concern ATM.  That being said $15.5M for 2019 is actually a pretty good price for a team trading for him and I'm sure Veach would keep Houston if he agreed to cut his pay $6M don't you think?

I'd say at least a 3rd or another starting player is in the mix.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

Meh Houston ranked very well with PFF and even the eye test showed that he still has it and his contract and health should be the only concern ATM.  That being said $15.5M for 2019 is actually a pretty good price for a team trading for him and I'm sure Veach would keep Houston if he agreed to cut his pay $6M don't you think?

I'd say at least a 3rd or another starting player is in the mix.

That would be awesome. 

14 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Its a win if KC gets out of the contract with no dead money. Maybe a 5th round pick is my guess.

There's 7.1 of his signing bonus left which will be the dead money regardless of the scenario, can't get out of that but the rest is all base salary and minor bonuses which we would be shipping with him.

Archived