Justin Houston....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

Collins not expected to be tagged

I've got to think this may be at the top of Veach's wish list. He tried to trade for him last October and now with Spags you have two guys with connections. This guy will not be cheap though!

14 minutes ago, Balto said:

There is no guarantee that Houston would sign with a certain team in FA if KC releases him...Trading for him means you are guaranteed to have him on your team for the next two years.  See what I mean

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If a team really wants him they could avoid getting into a bidding war

1 hour ago, Balto said:

There is no guarantee that Houston would sign with a certain team in FA if KC releases him...Trading for him means you are guaranteed to have him on your team for the next two years.  See what I mean

The issue is even at 14 million Houston is overpaid. Do you think he'll get 30 million over the next two years if he hits free agency?  So teams have to trade a pick for a player they know we are going to release and over pay him. I was really surprised that there was a market for him with that contract. We can only hope one magically materializes or else the report is wrong. But what he's saying makes the most sense. If I'm Justin Houston, I want a trade. 

8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The issue is even at 14 million Houston is overpaid. Do you think he'll get 30 million over the next two years if he hits free agency?  So teams have to trade a pick for a player they know we are going to release and over pay him. I was really surprised that there was a market for him with that contract. We can only hope one magically materializes or else the report is wrong. But what he's saying makes the most sense. If I'm Justin Houston, I want a trade. 

Justin Houston PFF:  85.7

Brandon Graham:  88.1

Dee Ford:  88.6

Frank Clark:  77.4

I just think Houston still matches up with the top Pass rushers available and most are getting tagged leaving a guy like Houston in higher demand.  I mean Brandon Graham just got his $14M a year for three years and I feel that Houston is every bit as good still.

I seriously wonder if Veach has offered a restructure to Houston and would keep him IF his contract was only costing $14M vs the $21M ATM.

In a shocking turn of events, one of the biggest fan favorites for the Chiefs appears to be headed toward free agency. 

Ever since he first donned a Kansas City jersey starting in 2011, linebacker Justin Houston has been adored by the KC faithful. However, per a report, his days with the team are coming to an end. 

The 6-3, 265-pounder has been with the Chiefs for eight seasons and is coming off a campaign in which he posted nine sacks and 37 total tackles. In the past week, the Chiefs had reportedly been in trade talks with teams for Houston. Though it looked like he wouldn't return next year to KC, many assumed the Chiefs would be able to find a trade partner. Instead, they've decided to part ways with him via release.

Over the weekend, the team placed the franchise tag on linebacker Dee Ford, but it was reported they'd also be open to trading him. Now that Houston has been cut, you'd have to figure they're not going to let Ford leave town as well. 

In a shocking turn of events, one of the biggest fan favorites for the Chiefs appears to be headed toward free agency. 

Ever since he first donned a Kansas City jersey starting in 2011, linebacker Justin Houston has been adored by the KC faithful. However, per a report, his days with the team are coming to an end. 

The 6-3, 265-pounder has been with the Chiefs for eight seasons and is coming off a campaign in which he posted nine sacks and 37 total tackles. In the past week, the Chiefs had reportedly been in trade talks with teams for Houston. Though it looked like he wouldn't return next year to KC, many assumed the Chiefs would be able to find a trade partner. Instead, they've decided to part ways with him via release.

Over the weekend, the team placed the franchise tag on linebacker Dee Ford, but it was reported they'd also be open to trading him. Now that Houston has been cut, you'd have to figure they're not going to let Ford leave town as well. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

You were correct. 

It's possible that Spags looked over the past season and figured that the Chiefs defense would be better with a Collins or E. Thomas and some young guns at LB or DE and releasing Houston and/or Ford would give them the cap space to do some FA deals.  After the past couple of seasons, can we really say he would be wrong?

Why does parting with one mean the other has to stay?  Getting rid of Houston gets us out of a bad contract.  Getting rid of Ford keeps us from getting into another bad contract.  I'd rather rip off the bandaid and get it all done at once so we can really start building.  I can only hope that Berry is next.

4 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Man they have time to still keep looking or is there a bonus coming up that they don't want to take the hit on?

There's nothing coming up but they might be preparing to extend either Jones or Hill now. It's always possible that they just wanted to give him more time in FA but who knows. 

They are still talking trade.. they still have time as well, I’m sure they just want to make sure they can get the most they can out of him.. I just got done listening to a podcast with special guest Matt verd... whatever.. he is saying that his source, who the shows host hinted was Brett Veach.. laughable I know. told him that kc was unable to find a trade partner, and that we will release him before the new league year to create cap for free agency. Others reporting that we are still talking to interested teams.. still about a week to make something happen.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

If they are trying to keep one for 2019 I would probably stick with Houston as well. 

According to an article on the athletic , Houston told the chiefs a few weeks ago that he wouldn’t restructure his contract.  That tells me the money is more important to him than staying here, so there’s no reason to consider keeping him. 21 million is just too much for one defensive player, particularly one on the wrong side of 30. 

14 minutes ago, moons314 said:

According to an article on the athletic , Houston told the chiefs a few weeks ago that he wouldn’t restructure his contract.  That tells me the money is more important to him than staying here, so there’s no reason to consider keeping him. 21 million is just too much for one defensive player, particularly one on the wrong side of 30. 

Keeping Ford for a year will cost at least just under 15 million so the overall price tag will be higher if we are sticking with him for 2019. Might as well keep Houston for a year and release with 1.5 dead money. I believe they are actively shopping Ford and would prefer to get rid of him but if the idea is to keep one I would have stuck with Houston. 

Archived