Justin Houston....

13 hours ago, dksww said:

It's teams with loads of cap space and pass rush is at a premium.

I don't think they'll get 1st or 2nd round comps, but a 3rd or 4th is possible.

3rd is the highest you get.

Watkins gave the Rams a 3rd and his contract was similar to Houston's  as well as their injury history, missed 18 games over 4 years. Houston missed 21 games over last 4 years.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

3rd is the highest you get.

Watkins gave the Rams a 3rd and his contract was similar to Houston's  as well as their injury history, missed 18 games over 4 years. Houston missed 21 games over last 4 years.

This is a trade, not a comp pick for letting him walk in FA.

27 minutes ago, dksww said:

Just to clarify, cut or traded, KC eats the 7M guaranteed money from the 21M cap hit.  It saves 14M of cap room and the new team takes the 14M cap hit.

No the new team would take on the BASE+any NON Prorated bonus's such as the $250k workout bonus.  So

$15.250M Base + $5.6M Prorated bonus + $250k workout bonus = $21.1M Cap hit for Chiefs.....If traded the $5.6M stays as dead money to KC but the new team pays the Base+workout bonus of a total $15.5M.  

The reason is shows $7.1M in dead money is because in 2020 there is also some "Prorated Bonus" that KC would have to swallow as dead money the year they trade him THUS all that Prorated Bonus money comes together to total $5.6M(2019)+$1.5M(2020)=$7.1M of dead money

1 hour ago, Balto said:

What are you all's thoughts on Trae Waynes, CB from Vikings?  With the report of Houston coming out, at the same time a report came out that the Vikings are also shopping a player at the combine.  Trae Waynes

9 million dollar 5th yr option. The Chiefs may prefer to draft and develop their own guy at a lower cost. Hes graded out okay. I think they'd pass though.

Veach is trying to create some leverage at the combine today..."Our plan right now is to play with him (Houston) but there is a lot of dialogue. Everything is fluid for the next few weeks until we get to the beginning of the league year. It's a good problem to have because he's a great player.:

2 hours ago, dksww said:

Just to clarify, cut or traded, KC eats the 7M guaranteed money from the 21M cap hit.  It saves 14M of cap room and the new team takes the 14M cap hit.

Essentially then teams would acquire a 2 year 31 million dollar deal with no dead money. 

5 hours ago, hankstromboli said:

This is what bothers me about Houston. KC paid him massively and his play has clearly digressed. You'd think he'd be willing to work with KC to stay but it's all about the money. 
Guess I can't blame him but he's massively overpaid and KC needs some cap space. 

i feel the same about him and berry, figured they both would be interested in working deals with KC but i guess there is no longer much in the way of loyalty

53 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

i feel the same about him and berry, figured they both would be interested in working deals with KC but i guess there is no longer much in the way of loyalty

Probably should give Houston a little slack.  He played his first 4 years on a 3rd round draft picks contract.  I know he did it to him self but we got the better end of the deal the first go around.     But if we were in their shoes would we give money back knowing our playing days are almost over?   I know I wouldn't.

All those figures start to hold considerably less weight once multiple teams get involved.. give me a 3rd, and a conditional 2020.. next thing you know someone pulls out a 2nd.. I think everyone has been tempering their expectations because of how bad his contract looks from our teams perspective, but it’s actually a very team friendly deal to the taker.. I could see a small bidding war for his services.. 

6 minutes ago, Nonchalant29 said:

All those figures start to hold considerably less weight once multiple teams get involved.. give me a 3rd, and a conditional 2020.. next thing you know someone pulls out a 2nd.. I think everyone has been tempering their expectations because of how bad his contract looks from our teams perspective, but it’s actually a very team friendly deal to the taker.. I could see a small bidding war for his services.. 

I'd love a established starting quality player instead of draft picks.  Seems Jalen Ramsey is off the block now but I wonder if there are any other players we could try for. 

If Ramsey is off the block, then I might consider tre w, but not sure the chiefs want to pay a cb that kind of money unless it is a rare top flight guy.. got pay patty cakes.. I feel there is a ton of talented cbs in the draft and even a few that might go undrafted that played for Kentucky.. draft a top talent I like Baker the most, then either double dip n snag ya sin, or bring in one of the uk boys

23 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Probably should give Houston a little slack.  He played his first 4 years on a 3rd round draft picks contract.  I know he did it to him self but we got the better end of the deal the first go around.     But if we were in their shoes would we give money back knowing our playing days are almost over?   I know I wouldn't.

I agree about Houston but I believe Berry become the highest paid NFL Safety as a rookie!!!  That's just crazy 

Just now, Nonchalant29 said:

If Ramsey is off the block, then I might consider tre w, but not sure the chiefs want to pay a cab that kind of money unless it is a rare top flight guy.. got pay patty cakes.. I feel there is a ton of talented cbs in the draft and even a few that might go undrafted that played for Kentucky.. draft a top talent I like Baker the most, then either double dip n snag ya sin, or bring in one of the uk boys

Veach gave the impression that size and length are very important to Spags. Baker is a tad undersized. Maybe looking at CBs like James from Vandy or Afghjjjhgvf  from Penn St.?

9 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Veach gave the impression that size and length are very important to Spags. Baker is a tad undersized. Maybe looking at CBs like James from Vandy or Afghjjjhgvf  from Penn St.?

I think both would be reaches in the first round and maybe not there at the end of the second.  If the Chiefs are really intent on drafting a starting CB and the top four are all gone by pick 29, I could see a trade down to get one early in the second.  Not sure what moving back from 29 to, say, 44 would net them, but it's a possibility unless there's someone else at 29 that they can't pass on.  I like the guy with the unpronounceable name from Penn St. 

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

there are ways to shift the money around and make it into bonuses and other things, just takes creativity..but if only one side is interested in listening....

4 hours ago, Balto said:

I agree about Houston but I believe Berry become the highest paid NFL Safety as a rookie!!!  That's just crazy 

I didn't comment on Berry because he's always been overpaid.  I'm not one of the guys saying he's just an avg player because I think he's a great player but maybe once in his career has he even remotely earned his contract.    

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Not that it matters but one of the NFL Network crew at the combine mocked James to the Chiefs.  

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Not that it matters but one of the NFL Network crew at the combine mocked James to the Chiefs.  

If he runs well I can see him going late rd 1. Hes still raw, but he oozes potential. A tandem of really big, fast, athletic corners like him and Ward with Fuller in the slot could be a nice start.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, KC Warpaint said:

berry is uber greedy - we've paid him dramatically forever

at least Houston was on a rookie 3rd round deal but he did screw up his draft position with offield antics.

berry should be begging to stay on a reduced salary.   Still irritated with both bc they are not living up to their payroll 

On 2/28/2019 at 11:29 PM, KC Warpaint said:

I don't think there's a loyalty issue. Don't know if they wanted a new contract with Berry but in Houston's case he's 30 years old and just came off a really good season. Unless we offered an extension I doubt he would accept, which basically means looking for a new deal at 32 after reduced pay for 2 years. 

Archived