NYG releases Collins

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Collins, Watts, Lucas, and maybe Berry?  That would change the draft priorities a bit. 

May be a mid to late round Safety as the #5 guy but that would be it. Time for Spags to work his connection.

I think I prefer Weddle on a short lower cost deal? Lots of options out there. 

The Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken reports the Raiders are expected to show interest in free agent S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The free-agent market at safety is saturated with Landon Collins, Eric Weddle, Tyrann Mathieu, Adrian Amos, Lamarcus Joyner, and Earl Thomas, among others, hitting the market, so Clinton-Dix may come as a bit of a bargain. Clinton-Dix was the Packers' first-round pick in 2014 but is still only 26. He was traded to the Redskins at the deadline last year for a fourth-round pick. Coach Jon Gruden's brother, Jay, was obviously Clinton-Dix's coach the second half of last year.

RELATED: 

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if so many FAs will bring down prices due to a crowded field or all get big deals. 

usually a crowded field brings   contracts down but then it only takes one dumbass GM  cough cough Dorsey or the Raiders to over pay and bring prices back up. will be interesting for sure. I hope Veach knows when to walk away

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

usually a crowded field brings   contracts down but then it only takes one dumbass GM  cough cough Dorsey or the Raiders to over pay and bring prices back up. will be interesting for sure. I hope Veach knows when to walk away

Hopefully we sign a guy right away and avoid being behind the trend setters.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

11 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Hopefully we sign a guy right away and avoid being behind the trend setters.

Veach better know when to stop, already have little wiggle room in the cap and 3 likely huge contracts coming up.

Signing a guy like Weddle right away makes some sense as a relatively cheap stop gap as we fix the rest of the defense first. Collins would be a long term solution but could be really expensive. 

Does anybody else see the problem here? We are looking at signing a player with a skillset vastly similar to Berrys. When we already have a big contract at SS that is killing us now. The way the game is going, you need safeties that can cover. Im not saying he cant, but its not what has gotten him pro bowls. FS seems like a bigger need to me.

13 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Does anybody else see the problem here? We are looking at signing a player with a skillset vastly similar to Berrys. When we already have a big contract at SS that is killing us now. The way the game is going, you need safeties that can cover. Im not saying he cant, but its not what has gotten him pro bowls. FS seems like a bigger need to me.

It’s a valid point.  And he’s also coming off surgery for a torn labrum and probably will miss OTAs.  How would Spags use him?  Apparently he doesn’t put safeties in as many man matchups.  But it’s a real question to ask.  The kid has been a big time player and a PFF elite level player until last year. But we can’t be wrong with the big contracts. 

18 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

It’s a valid point.  And he’s also coming off surgery for a torn labrum and probably will miss OTAs.  How would Spags use him?  Apparently he doesn’t put safeties in as many man matchups.  But it’s a real question to ask.  The kid has been a big time player and a PFF elite level player until last year. But we can’t be wrong with the big contracts. 

Just seems like signing Weddle to a 2/10 and drafting a guy like Rapp, Abram, Hooker, Worthington in rd 1 or 2 might be more prudent financially.

Watts would get a chance to groom under a true professional in Weddle. And Berrys replacement would be on the roster at a fraction of the cost.

I want Collins on this team. But we are still in bad shape cap wise long term. Especially if we cant move Ford. If Ford is on the roster this year, it could be argued we dont really have the money to go after ANY marquee second contract guys. Just because cutting Houston frees up 14 mill, doesnt mean we need to immediately commit that money back into a long term deal for someone else. We need to have some wiggle room eventually.

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Just seems like signing Weddle to a 2/10 and drafting a guy like Rapp, Abram, Hooker, Worthington in rd 1 or 2 might be more prudent financially.

Watts would get a chance to groom under a true professional in Weddle. And Berrys replacement would be on the roster at a fraction of the cost.

I want Collins on this team. But we are still in bad shape cap wise long term. Especially if we cant move Ford. If Ford is on the roster this year, it could be argued we dont really have the money to go after ANY marquee second contract guys. Just because cutting Houston frees up 14 mill, doesnt mean we need to immediately commit that money back into a long term deal for someone else. We need to have some wiggle room eventually.

I agree. We know a big contact to Tyreek is coming and I'm fine with that. But we have to be really careful to avoid the traps that buried us in the Dorsey years. My gut feeling here is Veach may have told Spags that we will go get you a high level free agent but you are going to have to dump salary to get it. And hence why Houston is being chopped and Ford on the block. As for Weddle I have a feeling he's going to be overpaid in a short term type deal. Is that better? If he's truly a 2 year 10 million dollar guy, theres value for sure. There's also handful of solid safeties out there though to consider. 

From Spags perspective he may be telling Veach that he wants a young, physical tone setter to build this defense around and Collins is that guy. And we already know Veach was willing to give the Giants a draft pick last October for him. Tough call but I do agree that we need to be looking at the big picture and the handicaps a big salary can put on roster versatility. 

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Watts: I get he was injured. Year two....play the guy....this idea that guys that have played football their entire life need to sit & watch is not good use of draft picks. Wastes those low contract years. If he is good then play the guy! If he sits this year  it tells me he is a bench warmer level talent.

38 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Watts: I get he was injured. Year two....play the guy....this idea that guys that have played football their entire life need to sit & watch is not good use of draft picks. Wastes those low contract years. If he is good then play the guy! If he sits this year  it tells me he is a bench warmer level talent.

Watts was playing last year before he got hurt. 

49 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Personally Im a fan. I think he is starter material.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree. We know a big contact to Tyreek is coming and I'm fine with that. But we have to be really careful to avoid the traps that buried us in the Dorsey years. My gut feeling here is Veach may have told Spags that we will go get you a high level free agent but you are going to have to dump salary to get it. And hence why Houston is being chopped and Ford on the block. As for Weddle I have a feeling he's going to be overpaid in a short term type deal. Is that better? If he's truly a 2 year 10 million dollar guy, theres value for sure. There's also handful of solid safeties out there though to consider. 

From Spags perspective he may be telling Veach that he wants a young, physical tone setter to build this defense around and Collins is that guy. And we already know Veach was willing to give the Giants a draft pick last October for him. Tough call but I do agree that we need to be looking at the big picture and the handicaps a big salary can put on roster versatility. 

If we get a 2nd for ford and clear out another 16 mill, I hope to hell they can find an advanced pass rusher in rd 1 or 2.

My thinking is if we release Houston and trade Ford or even keep Ford for only this year, why sign an expensive safety at this time? We are a year or two out from developing an effective D. I'd rather focus on developing a draft heavy D and sign some stop gaps for now. Extend Jones and Fuller when due, then see what we have. Those are really the only true cogs of the D now. Collins isn't going to take us over the edge.

8 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

My thinking is if we release Houston and trade Ford or even keep Ford for only this year, why sign an expensive safety at this time? We are a year or two out from developing an effective D. I'd rather focus on developing a draft heavy D and sign some stop gaps for now. Extend Jones and Fuller when due, then see what we have. Those are really the only true cogs of the D now. Collins isn't going to take us over the edge.

If you dump Ford and Houston and pick up Collins, then I think the thought has to be that KPass and Speaks are high picks that are better suited for a 4-3.  Team them with Chris Jones and Xavier/Bailey/Nnadi, a new coordinator, Hitchens (who has been better in a 4-3), O'Daniel, Fuller, Berry, Collins, Watts, Nelson and a couple draft picks and we are less than a year or two out from being serviceable. 

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If you dump Ford and Houston and pick up Collins, then I think the thought has to be that KPass and Speaks are high picks that are better suited for a 4-3.  Team them with Chris Jones and Xavier/Bailey/Nnadi, a new coordinator, Hitchens (who has been better in a 4-3), O'Daniel, Fuller, Berry, Collins, Watts, Nelson and a couple draft picks and we are less than a year or two out from being serviceable. 

Nelson likely Gone to Free Agency?

Archived