NYG releases Collins

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be thrilled with Weddel as a couple year stopgap. Talk about a tone setter - there might not be a better football mind and instincts at the position in the league. Dude looked like a stud last year while QB-ing the number 1 defense in the league. Watts, Lucas, Weddel and Berry/draft pick would be a solid safety group. 

26 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

Wouldn't mind waddle at all. Thought he said if the ravens didn't bring him back he was going to retire.

Never mind saw his tweet saying he is excited to see where he ends up next.

I suspect the market for safeties is going to be soft this year like it was last year, especially with the number of good free agent safeties available.  I think we need to cut Berry and sign two free agents.  We can sign two guys with the savings from cutting Berry and turn a position of weakness into a position of strength.  

8 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I suspect the market for safeties is going to be soft this year like it was last year, especially with the number of good free agent safeties available.  I think we need to cut Berry and sign two free agents.  We can sign two guys with the savings from cutting Berry and turn a position of weakness into a position of strength.  

With Berry's dead cap number, you don't save much by cutting him.  Like a million and half I think. 

What about Berry playing FS? Use Collins as SS and let Berry roam as needed. If Berry cant get or stay healthy then you have Collins still and our other guys too. This way Berry is gone then next year and we can sign one of Fuller or Jones and use a tag if only one signs.

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What about Berry playing FS? Use Collins as SS and let Berry roam as needed. If Berry cant get or stay healthy then you have Collins still and our other guys too. This way Berry is gone then next year and we can sign one of Fuller or Jones and use a tag if only one signs.

Berry can absolutely play free safety. He has all the time. He did in his last three games. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Berry can absolutely play free safety. He has all the time. He did in his last three games. 

Yes I thought so, but some were saying why sign him when we have Berry playing that role already. Even if both played SS and Berry could actually stay healthy I would still sign Collins. Might cost us a bit more but releasing it trading Houston and then trading Ford is going to release a bunch of money.

Get us a safety, go after another need in FA like CB, DL or LB and draft then from what we need left with BPA also in play like a TE falling to us if we went offense and it would not kill us using a pick early on offense.

Does anyone really think some other team would trade for Houston with his contract?  He'll have to be released.  Ford might have some trade value, but I doubt it will be real high.  The Chiefs are stuck with Berry's contract so might as well keep him and see what he can do.  They still need Collins IMHO.  Collins and Watts and/or Lucas could be an acceptable position group and the Chiefs could focus on CB, ILB, and Edge in the defensive part of their draft.

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Does anyone really think some other team would trade for Houston with his contract?  He'll have to be released.  Ford might have some trade value, but I doubt it will be real high.  The Chiefs are stuck with Berry's contract so might as well keep him and see what he can do.  They still need Collins IMHO.  Collins and Watts and/or Lucas could be an acceptable position group and the Chiefs could focus on CB, ILB, and Edge in the defensive part of their draft.

I'd be very surprised if anyone trades for Houston and I think Fords value is a 2nd rounder.

We could build our future safety position around Watts and Collins. That would make sense from economic impact too. How does Spags see Watts is probably a huge part of that. This scenario does protect us next year from Berry's situation and give us a legit future plan.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think Spags is going to get a few players he wants to rebuild this group including possibly a high profile free agent like perhaps Collins. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I'd be very surprised if anyone trades for Houston and I think Fords value is a 2nd rounder.

We could build our future safety position around Watts and Collins. That would make sense from economic impact too. How does Spags see Watts is probably a huge part of that. This scenario does protect us next year from Berry's situation and give us a legit future plan.  Maybe I'm wrong but I think Spags is going to get a few players he wants to rebuild this group including possibly a high profile free agent like perhaps Collins. 

Is cutting Berry after June 1st an option? 

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't he still cost the Chiefs a boat load of cap space?

By not designating him post-June 1st all the dead cap goes to this year.  We would save like $1.5 million this year and then he is off the books.  By designating him post-June 1, $8 million of dead cap is still on next year's books.  We save $9.5 million against the cap this year and $5.5 million against the cap next year.  And a crap ton the next two years after that too.  Plenty of money to pick up a good free agent safety and someone else too.  

3 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

By not designating him post-June 1st all the dead cap goes to this year.  We would save like $1.5 million this year and then he is off the books.  By designating him post-June 1, $8 million of dead cap is still on next year's books.  We save $9.5 million against the cap this year and $5.5 million against the cap next year.  And a crap ton the next two years after that too.  Plenty of money to pick up a good free agent safety and someone else too.  

So do you think KC will or should cut him after June 1st? Can they use that money saved to extend current player contracts? Maybe pick up other post June 1st cuts? 

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Is cutting Berry after June 1st an option? 

The problem with that is that he 7.25 million dollars of his 2019 salary becomes guaranteed in nine days. I don't think you can do a post June 1 cut and get around paying that. They will either cut bait next week or more likely just roll with him and see what we can get next year before releasing him. Again had Dorsey just signed him and not applied franchise tag, we would have more flexibility today. Moral is if you plan to retain a player, don't tag him. 

6 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So do you think KC will or should cut him after June 1st? Can they use that money saved to extend current player contracts? Maybe pick up other post June 1st cuts? 

Cutting him post June 1st just pushes that cap hit to next year.   I say we keep him and hope for the best.   If during the season he can't go I'm sure we could work out an injury settlement.    

11 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Not sure. I have read conflicting reports. Someone , on this board, more knowledgeable than me has the answer.

You can spread the dead money out over 2 years so it gives you a little more cap room. The problem is that the money you free up with his release isnt available to spend until June second. Free agency has dried up by then.

Archived