NYG releases Collins

3 minutes ago, Calichief said:

That’s what’s happening in my opinion.

Yeah, Sorry, but at $9 million, he is not worth it for say, 5-8 games a season.

Weddle gave us 16 games this past year and only cost 6.5 mil with a $1 mill bonus for making the playoffs.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 minutes ago, xen said:

Here's what over the cap has...

Cut pre June 1

SmartSelect_20190307-151321_Chrome.jpg

Cut but designate as post June 1:

SmartSelect_20190307-151334_Chrome.jpg

Don't know how accurate that is...

Pretty much exactly what I came up with except I didn't know you could defer the CAP hits over three years if you go post June 1? So we'd save an extra 3 million next season and this becomes more doable. 

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Pretty much exactly what I came up with except I didn't know you could defer the CAP hits over three years if you go post June 1? So we'd save an extra 3 million next season and this becomes more doable. 

No. If you do the post June 1st cut you can only spread the guaranteed money out over 2 seasons not the remainder of the contract. 

At least that is what I think I read?

12 minutes ago, NChiefsCorner said:

A guest on am810 this morning said that if Berry is on this team after March 15th, he will remain on this team and the chances of signing Landon Collins goes down, but could still happen. 

7.5 million of his 2019 salary becomes guaranteed a week from tomorrow. So yes, if we are going to release him, its gonna happen this week.

9 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No. If you do the post June 1st cut you can only spread the guaranteed money out over 2 seasons not the remainder of the contract. 

At least that is what I think I read?

That's what I thought. Sure would make the deal easier to swallow though. 

I haven't seen any indication that the Chiefs plan to move on from Berry at all, and the team is far from loose-lipped when it comes to this stuff.

It won't be a popular opinion, but expect him to be back for at least one more season and expect that to take them out of the market for Landon Collins.

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I haven't seen any indication that the Chiefs plan to move on from Berry at all, and the team is far from loose-lipped when it comes to this stuff.

It won't be a popular opinion, but expect him to be back for at least one more season and expect that to take them out of the market for Landon Collins.

Theres no way they are planning anything around Berry. If he stays its strictly for cap reasons. No organization eould be stupid enough to get burned that badly by the exact same poor decision 2 yrs in a row. Especially not one that expects to contend for a SB. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Theres no way they are planning anything around Berry. If he stays its strictly for cap reasons. No organization eould be stupid enough to get burned that badly by the exact same poor decision 2 yrs in a row. Especially not one that expects to contend for a SB. 

Well yeah, it's certainly cap related.  He'll have to prove it this year or he'll certainly be gone in 2020.

10 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Cut Berry post June 1 2019

Dead Money against cap 6,950,000             
Save $9,550,000 against the Cap

10 hours ago, Calichief said:

That’s what’s happening in my opinion.

The key is the dead money in 2020 which is the entire point of cutting or designating him as post June 1st 

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Okay. So if we release Berry with that June 1 designation, we are not responsible for the guranateed money that hits on March 15th. So we would save about 9 million this year (but not technically get that CAP relief until June 1) and 6 million next year.  Or we can keep him and release him after the season and save only 5.5 million but end up with far less dead cap. So this does have to be on Veach's radar and indeed make it a tough call. 

It’s dead cap either way you look at it.  We can either pay him all of it to stand on the sideline, or we can eat some of it and just move on.  I’m in favor of moving on. 

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

It’s dead cap either way you look at it.  We can either pay him all of it to stand on the sideline, or we can eat some of it and just move on.  I’m in favor of moving on. 

At this point, given the injury history and the amount of games missed, I would move on. Eat the money and sign a durable, proven player that can help out back there.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

16.9 million to let him play this year or we save cap and pay a total of 14.95 million to cut him in dead money this and next year in total. 

I'm less concerned about dead cap than I am dead weight on the roster. We have very little dead cap right now and with Mahomes making only 4 million this is the time to make these moves to rebuild defense in earnest. I think the entire issue with Veach right now is what he's hearing medically with Berry.  He was flat cleared to play last October though so to me this is about a committment from Berry.

Archived