Crowded Safety Market

I am wondering, with all this talent out there, the first domino to drop will get the big money and the others won't?

Or does the glut drive down the prices?

Earl Thomas
Adrian Amos
HaHa Clinton-Dix
Tyrann Mathieu
Landon Collins
Eric Weddle
LaMarcus Joyner
Glover Quin
John Cyprien
Darian Stewart
George Iloka
Kenny Vaccaro

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weddle still has a little bit left in the tank, but really should be paired with another great safety.

I'm sort of feeling this year will shake out like last years.  Too many draft options, so I think teams will let them set out in the cold and try to deflate the market.  Of course it only takes one team to break that pact, but man is that market loaded.  Probably even more than last year.

When safety is the weakest part of your football team. This is a very good thing. And it looks like a very deep draft for safeties too which is probably part of the reason all these guys are out there. As for Weddle. To me a 34 year old is the type of guy you sign after the draft to bill a quick short term need at a value price. We are trying to change the culture of the defense and that's going to take some veteran attitude that fits Spags system. But this has to be done tactically and value wise when it comes to declining players. He can still clearly play though. 

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I am wondering, with all this talent out there, the first domino to drop will get the big money and the others won't?

Earl Thomas
Adrian Amos
HaHa Clinton-Dix
Tyrann Mathieu
Landon Collins
Eric Weddle
LaMarcus Joyner
Glover Quin
John Cyprien
Darian Stewart
George Iloka
Kenny Vaccaro

Basic economics says an excess supply always drives the price down.  Maybe one or two of these guys will break the bank but there will absolutely be multiple quality guys to be had on the cheap.

3 hours ago, kychief said:

Hands..is weddle done?

I know the ravens were tough in pass coverage but was that due to pressure and good cb's or was he still a force back there?

Physically, he cannot cover anymore but makes up for it by making adjustments at the LOS.

When CJ Mosley went down in the 3rd game of the year, they gave Weddle the green dot and he called the defense. And kept it for the rest of the year.

Very smart, audibles at the LOS on almost every play, coaxing guys into position....great iof you draft a young safety.

Tyrann Mathieu is in the same mold but is still a playmaker, same fpr Clinton- Dix.

Weddle knows exactly where to go but his body just can't get him there. Still, I wish he would have been able to stay. Good guy.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Basic economics says an excess supply always drives the price down.  Maybe one or two of these guys will break the bank but there will absolutely be multiple quality guys to be had on the cheap.

Never know with this League- no one ever thought a guy would sign for 100 million or that a team would draft a Safety at #5 overall

4 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Never know with this League- no one ever thought a guy would sign for 100 million or that a team would draft a Safety at #5 overall

This is missing the point.  I acknowledged there could be an outlier or two.  But they can't all get paid.  In addition, these specific examples are irrelevant to your original question.

3 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

This is missing the point.  I acknowledged there could be an outlier or two.  But they can't all get paid.  In addition, these specific examples are irrelevant to your original question.

Never said you didn't- I didn't miss anything. Look at MLB this year- no one knew what would happen until Machado and Harper signed. Now there are still valuable players out on the market and Spring training has begun.

Also, the second example of "Safety at #5" was a self-deprecating burn- I argued that Berry was not worth taking at 5th Overall in the 2010 draft  (and might still think it)

52 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I think aside from pass rushers that safeties are the most valuable part of a defense in the modern game. I'd argue much stronger against taking ILBs who can't cover top ten. Maybe even corners who can't tackle as well because rule changes have lessened the importance of one guy and made it more necessary to have a solid overall group. Just my opinion. As it applies to that draft in retrospect Ive got zero problem taking a safety at #5. I just would have taken Earl Thomas instead at this point.

31 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Never said you didn't- I didn't miss anything. Look at MLB this year- no one knew what would happen until Machado and Harper signed. Now there are still valuable players out on the market and Spring training has begun.

Also, the second example of "Safety at #5" was a self-deprecating burn- I argued that Berry was not worth taking at 5th Overall in the 2010 draft  (and might still think it)

These are just more non sequiturs to the point I was making though - maybe Earl Thomas or one other dude will break the bank, but there is just no way that all of those guys will get paid.  There will be, on average, more bargains than overpaid guys.  It's just the basic math of it all.  What happened in baseball is pretty irrelevant to that fact.

9 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Earl Thomas
Adrian Amos
HaHa Clinton-Dix
Tyrann Mathieu
Landon Collins
Eric Weddle
LaMarcus Joyner
Glover Quin
John Cyprien
Darian Stewart
George Iloka
Kenny Vaccaro

It will drive the prices down.

I agree with the notion 1 or 2 of the top end in that list will get good contracts. But there will be a couple sitting by the phone waiting but will eventually get the call and sign for less than what they may have wanted or expected. Maybe the Chiefs will be one of those teams. Lord knows we could use some decent safeties.

The only guy worth coughing up big bucks would be Collins since he could give some Spags discount. I really like Ha-Ha but he'll be too expensive. Financially Weddle at a 1-2 year deal makes more sense as he won't cost a lot due to age.

I would like to see more from Lucas (if he's brought back) and Armani Watts.  Watts was taking snaps from Sutton's loverboy Ron Parker before he went on the IR, so I think there's some promise  there.

I'd be ok with letting those 2 duke it out and maybe a cheap fallback option if they both aren't it and drafting someone to eventually take place of Eric Berry.  I think Hooker could be a good option with the 3rd round pick.

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

My thought process is this draft is overflowing with Safety talent and I just don't see a pressing need to spend mega bucks on the position.  I'd use FA to attack the needs of the team that are weak in the draft (corner, SAM linebacker).

Both happen to be weak spots in FA too. I think the Chiefs might end up getting a starting safety out of FA AND the draft. They basically have to plan as if Berry isnt available, right? Pay money to a really good FS, and draft a SS that either starts this year or next. 

Archived