Crowded Safety Market

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Both happen to be weak spots in FA too. I think the Chiefs might end up getting a starting safety out of FA AND the draft. They basically have to plan as if Berry isnt available, right? Pay money to a really good FS, and draft a SS that either starts this year or next. 

They will be drafting a SS prospect at some point, because I think 2019 is it for Berry in KC unless he can put together a dpoty sort of season.  They have some options at FS already, so I'm not sure how pressing of a need it really is.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

They will be drafting a SS prospect at some point, because I think 2019 is it for Berry in KC unless he can put together a dpoty sort of season.  They have some options at FS already, so I'm not sure how pressing of a need it really is.

Just seems hard to trust Berry or Watts for varying reasons. Guess we will find out Monday.

32 minutes ago, kcchief4lif said:

Says Weddle just signed with the rams.

Six-time Pro Bowl safety Eric Weddleplans to sign a two-year deal with the Los Angeles Rams, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Sources told ESPN that Weddle could make up to $12.5 million over the two years of the deal with $5.25 million guaranteed. Weddle, 34, arrived in Los Angeles on Thursday night, spent Friday with the Rams and wants to be a member of the defending NFC champions, the source told Schefter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26194823/source-pro-bowl-s-weddle-plans-join-rams

On 3/7/2019 at 2:36 PM, Mloe68 said:

I think aside from pass rushers that safeties are the most valuable part of a defense in the modern game. I'd argue much stronger against taking ILBs who can't cover top ten. Maybe even corners who can't tackle as well because rule changes have lessened the importance of one guy and made it more necessary to have a solid overall group. Just my opinion. As it applies to that draft in retrospect Ive got zero problem taking a safety at #5. I just would have taken Earl Thomas instead at this point.

I think over the next ten years we’re going to see a trend of teams finding guys who can play both safety and ilb interchangeably.  It’s going to result in the lbs being a little smaller , but teams are going to accept being ok against the run and strengthening their pass d.  Think a more talented version of dirty dan. That’s the future imo 

5 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I think over the next ten years we’re going to see a trend of teams finding guys who can play both safety and ilb interchangeably.  It’s going to result in the lbs being a little smaller , but teams are going to accept being ok against the run and strengthening their pass d.  Think a more talented version of dirty dan. That’s the future imo 

Amani Hooker for Iowa did a lot of that this year. He would move down into the slot almost like a LB but could play as a S too his original position etc. Very versatile guy for us.

21 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Depends on if they expand rosters or not next CBA

25 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Amani Hooker for Iowa did a lot of that this year. He would move down into the slot almost like a LB but could play as a S too his original position etc. Very versatile guy for us.

Dude showed out at the combine as well. May have improved his draft grade by a round.

7 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I would like to see more from Lucas (if he's brought back) and Armani Watts.  Watts was taking snaps from Sutton's loverboy Ron Parker before he went on the IR, so I think there's some promise  there.

I'd be ok with letting those 2 duke it out and maybe a cheap fallback option if they both aren't it and drafting someone to eventually take place of Eric Berry.  I think Hooker could be a good option with the 3rd round pick.

That's where I would go.  Hooker makes a lot of sense and would replace berry as the smart safety who knows what the hell is supposed to be happening.

Wish he was more quick twitch but really like him as a box safety.  Would be a good 3rd round pick.  I think he has a decent chance to be there too.  

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Depends on if they expand rosters or not next CBA

Expanding rosters is a bad idea. It would allow teams for example, that find an under the radar, talented udfa, and bury him on an expanded roster just to keep another team from picking them up. Generally I favor the clubs over the players, but expanded rosters wouldn’t be good for the players

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

Expanding rosters is a bad idea. It would allow teams for example, that find an under the radar, talented udfa, and bury him on an expanded roster just to keep another team from picking them up. Generally I favor the clubs over the players, but expanded rosters wouldn’t be good for the players

Disagree: Its good for both. Its the owners that dont want to pay a few more guys. Yes bigger rosters and expand the game day roster. Lots of unsigned players would benefit and some are diamonds in the rough.  It would keep players healthy longer. Allow a little extra rest and not force injured guys to stay in the game vs getting a break on the sideline.

At the very least expand game day. Let those extra guys play if needed! Its the owners that dont want to pay the players. Rich and Greedy.

14 hours ago, moons314 said:

Agree. Versatility is key. Last year we had little and smart or talented teams (QBs) could make simple audibles based on who we had on the field. It’s part of how Romo knew us so well because Sutton couldn’t even disguise coverages within that.  

A guy like Dorian O Daniel fits the profile in my opinion.  

NBC Sports' Peter King expects the Chiefs to keep Eric Berry.

Berry has played a grand total of three games the last two seasons and is owed $12.5 million in salary and bonuses in 2019. The heel injury which limited him last year does not require surgery, however, and King believes coach Andy Reid still thinks Berry can be "an impact safety." Perhaps most importantly, cutting Berry would leave about $15 million in dead cap while creating just $1.5 million in space, making it worth keeping the safety around on the chance he returns to his All-Pro form.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

NBC Sports' Peter King expects the Chiefs to keep Eric Berry.

Berry has played a grand total of three games the last two seasons and is owed $12.5 million in salary and bonuses in 2019. The heel injury which limited him last year does not require surgery, however, and King believes coach Andy Reid still thinks Berry can be "an impact safety." Perhaps most importantly, cutting Berry would leave about $15 million in dead cap while creating just $1.5 million in space, making it worth keeping the safety around on the chance he returns to his All-Pro form.

that scares me..hopefully coach speak but I think Andy and King talk 

Ot.the chiefs are in a tough spot with berry..his contract is a nightmare considering how much he has played..

But I'm starting to lean your way..cut him...the last thing the team needs is a player literally day to day all season long.

16 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Collins to the Skins.  6 Years 85 million, 45 guaranteed!!!  Glad he is with them and not us.  Hell of a player, but nor for that money.

So the honey Badger is half that deal at 3 years $45 million....and he will be 29 when the contract runs out. Hope they don't overpay then.

Archived