Crowded Safety Market

13 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Not a surprise at all.  Nothing from my source or any public source indicated they were looking to cut Eric Berry.

Too much dead money.

PFT's Mike Florio believes the Chiefs' signing of Tyrann Mathieu "likely means" the team will release Eric Berry.

Mathieu landed a contract that counts $14 million per year as the league's highest-paid safety. And with Berry making $13 million annually, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Chiefs to pay a combined $27 million per year to its safety tandem. Berry has played three games over the last two seasons due to Achilles and heel issues. He doesn't need surgery this offseason, but Berry is looking like damaged goods and on the wrong side of 30. If the Chiefs were to release Berry, it will likely happen this week before over $7 million of his salary becomes guaranteed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NChiefsCorner said:

PFT's Mike Florio believes the Chiefs' signing of Tyrann Mathieu "likely means" the team will release Eric Berry.

Mathieu landed a contract that counts $14 million per year as the league's highest-paid safety. And with Berry making $13 million annually, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Chiefs to pay a combined $27 million per year to its safety tandem. Berry has played three games over the last two seasons due to Achilles and heel issues. He doesn't need surgery this offseason, but Berry is looking like damaged goods and on the wrong side of 30. If the Chiefs were to release Berry, it will likely happen this week before over $7 million of his salary becomes guaranteed.

Note the internets keep throwing out the 1.5 mil in cap savings if we cut berry but if they designate him a post June 1 cut the savings are closer to 9.5 mil as long as they do it before his 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Note the internets keep throwing out the 1.5 mil in cap savings if we cut berry but if they designate him a post June 1 cut the savings are closer to 9.5 mil as long as they do it before his 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

The question is does his March guarantees kick in if he's designated as a June 1st cut?

Personally I would be more inclined to avoid the June 1st and suffer the whole 12 million this year instead of pushing 8 to next (assuming guarantees don't kick in). We already have over 20 million in cap space even with Ford in town and quite a few guys that could save some money so a couple more FAs in 2019 would still be likely. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26152205/barnwell-2019-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-tracking-every-big-signing-move

Tyrann Mathieu, S, Kansas City Chiefs The deal: Three years, $42 million Grade: C+ Given the soft safety market of 2018 and the sheer volume of talented free safeties on the market, I figured we would see the market move relatively slowly and some of the players would have to settle for one-year deals. Mathieu had to take a one-year pact from the Texans last year at $7 million, but after a bounce-back season, he isn't settling for anything. We're still waiting to see the specific guarantee structure of this deal, but it's safe to assume that Mathieu came away with essentially two guaranteed years in this contract, just as Sammy Watkins did on his three-year, $48 million deal last offseason. There's an interesting fit for Mathieu on the Chiefs roster, and things could change based on the other moves Brett Veach makes this offseason. At this point, we know the 26-year-old Mathieu is a player who is going to be generally effective when healthy, even if he probably isn't going to hit the lofty heights of that 2015 season. Mathieu still has very good instincts as a safety, and though the two ACL tears have sapped a bit of his athleticism, he's probably still good enough to fill in as a competent cornerback in the slot, especially given how ineffective the Chiefs have been at corner in recent seasons. The only real concern with Mathieu is injury, given that the LSU superstar has those two torn ACLs in his past. Mathieu also missed pro time with thumb and shoulder injuries and wasn't able to make it through a complete 16-game season in any of his first four campaigns. Mathieu has subsequently run off 32 consecutive games, which is certainly a promising sign, but the broader history suggests that there's more risk here than there is for most other safeties. 2019 Free Agency | Chiefs What you need to know about the Kansas City Chiefs: » Chiefs' free-agent signings » Team needs: LB, EDGE, CB » Tracker: Latest moves around NFL » Full top 100 free-agent ranking Simultaneously, the Chiefs traded for Kendall Fuller last year in hopes of playing him as a cornerback across the field, and a subpar season suggested that Fuller's best role might be as a permanent slot corner. New defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has nothing in the cupboard at corner with Steven Nelson and Orlando Scandrick as free agents, and you might understand the logic of signing a good safety as opposed to paying up for a mediocre cornerback in a market that has plenty of the latter. While the Chiefs could very well have waited out the market and seen which free safety was left standing, Mathieu and Lamarcus Joyner were the only two you would want to count on to also fill in at cornerback on a regular basis. This can all change if the Chiefs use the Mathieu signing as a pretense to move on from Eric Berry, who had the highest average annual salary for a safety in the NFL before Monday. Berry played all of three regular-season games in the first two years of his record deal, thanks to a torn Achilles tendon suffered in Week 1 of 2017 and heel pain that kept Berry sidelined for virtually all of the 2018 campaign. The Chiefs already cut one stalwart in Justin Houston, and they could move on from Berry this offseason, though it wouldn't be pretty. Kansas City would likely designate Berry as a post-June 1 release, which would create $9.6 million in cap space while adding $8 million in dead money to the Chiefs' 2020 cap. With Berry and Mathieu in the lineup together, the Chiefs have two safeties capable of playing in the box, the slot or the deep middle. They also have the most expensive combo of safeties in NFL history on a defense that has already invested meaningfully at inside linebacker in Anthony Hitchens, who wasn't effective in his first season with the Chiefs. The Chiefs cut Houston and are reportedly shopping franchised end Dee Ford because he isn't a great fit for Spagnuolo's 4-3 defense. Their best defensive lineman is Chris Jones, who will move to defensive tackle in the 4-3. At some point, the Chiefs need to do something about their lack of talent on the outside. You get the feeling that another move might be coming here, and that should inform how the Mathieu deal fits.

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree 100% Way too much money for a guy with 2 acl tears. 

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Agree 100% Way too much money for a guy with 2 acl tears. 

It all matters on contract structure 

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Don't get me wrong I like the fact we addressed a huge position of need but I think we got desperate here a little and overpaid.

Desperate? There is plenty if other S out there. Seems Houston was in it to the end so they saw value too. I think we got the guy we wanted and his versatility makes it even better. Use him as CB, LB, SS, FS etc

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Desperate? There is plenty if other S out there. Seems Houston was in it to the end so they saw value too. I think we got the guy we wanted and his versatility makes it even better. Use him as CB, LB, SS, FS etc

Problem is he needs to play all those positions. If this was the one guy KC needed to get over the top then a great signing. Problem is the D sucks and a new coordinator can only do so much with a lack of talent. Veach top free agents are already taking up way too much cap space. Watkins, Hitchens now this guy.

6 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Problem is he needs to play all those positions. If this was the one guy KC needed to get over the top then a great signing. Problem is the D sucks and a new coordinator can only do so much with a lack of talent. Veach top free agents are already taking up way too much cap space. Watkins, Hitchens now this guy.

I was happy with the signing until the 2 ACLs, definitely makes this a bad signing. Hopefully it works out for us in the end but I would expect Veach to learn his lesson after Watkins. 

22 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

But so far Watkins and such can be cut after this year and no effects. A new qb and he gave him what he needed. Maybe same thing with HB for Spags too? He is spending in the short term but not killing us in long term. We have picks now also to use for other positions and henis getting the cap mess under control all while doing everything else. I like how he is going about it so far for immediate help but not killing us with long contracts. Hitchens was a signing thst seemed to point to the 43 also but gave Sutton one last chance to use him as he needed and he failed. Hitchens is a steal now for the prices being thrown out there in FA now.

Just now, kkuenn said:

But so far Watkins and such can be cut after this year and no effects. A new qb and he gave him what he needed. Maybe same thing with HB for Spags too? He is spending in the short term but not killing us in long term. We have picks nowbalsontobuse for other positions and henis getting the cap mess under control all while doing everything else. I like how he is going about it so far for immediate help but not killing us with long contracts.

Quote Deep Safety Market in Free Agency....Chiefs Overpay...Short term or not Mahommes will get his 35 Million Soon. So the next 2 years is it for that savings. Any GM can overpay. Thats not talent thats just over paying. So far VEACH = MR OVERPAY

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Quote Deep Safety Market in Free Agency....Chiefs Overpay...Short term or not Mahommes will get his 35 Million Soon. So the next 2 years is it for that savings. Any GM can overpay. Thats not talent thats just over paying. So far VEACH = MR OVERPAY

Stole this from Calichief in the HB thread.

Conversation Paul Hembekides @PaulHembo Tyrann Mathieu snaps in 2018 Free safety (440) CB slot left (199) Left OLB (123) CB slot right (112) Right OLB (39) Right ILB (31) Left ILB (27) CB wide left (19) Left DT (3) Middle LB (2) CB wide right (1) Right DT (1) He's a swiss army knife.

This guy gives us many options when he is on the field and where to line up

35 million for PM2? man I love the guy but do you think it will be that much? I hope he takes less annually but more guarantees.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Stole this from Calichief in the HB thread.

Conversation Paul Hembekides @PaulHembo Tyrann Mathieu snaps in 2018 Free safety (440) CB slot left (199) Left OLB (123) CB slot right (112) Right OLB (39) Right ILB (31) Left ILB (27) CB wide left (19) Left DT (3) Middle LB (2) CB wide right (1) Right DT (1) He's a swiss army knife.

This guy gives us many options when he is on the field and where to line up

35 million for PM2? man I love the guy but do you think it will be that much? I hope he takes less annually but more guarantees.

He is a great player. No doubt. Chiefs simply could not afford another TOP PAID FREE AGENT.  Too MANY GUYS WITH BIG $ CONTRACTS. Lots of holes to fill now with very little cap room.

27 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

He is a great player. No doubt. Chiefs simply could not afford another TOP PAID FREE AGENT.  Too MANY GUYS WITH BIG $ CONTRACTS. Lots of holes to fill now with very little cap room.

Next year we have almost 80 million and can make another 21 million with cutting Watkins. This is before HB signing. I think we will be fine.

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Next year we have almost 80 million and can make another 21 million with cutting Watkins. This is before HB signing. I think we will be fine.

Good news for next year ...... at this point.

Then again: You have the Pats avoiding the big free agent $ and how many championships? 

17 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Good news for next year ...... at this point.

Then again: You have the Pats avoiding the big free agent $ and how many championships? 

Pat's also has a qb set and people go there cheap to win. We are heading just into our 2nd year with an elite qb. Give it time.

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Don't get me wrong I like the fact we addressed a huge position of need but I think we got desperate here a little and overpaid.

I think at some point, people have got to stop saying every guy is getting overpaid when the cap is rising tens of millions every year and teams have f u cap space to spend.

9 hours ago, xen said:

That is correct.

18 hours ago, sith13 said:

I was happy with the signing until the 2 ACLs, definitely makes this a bad signing. Hopefully it works out for us in the end but I would expect Veach to learn his lesson after Watkins. 

He played all 16 last year 

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

He played all 16 last year 

So did Berry before we gave him the big contract. 

From my experience as a Chiefs fan it's always a bad idea to pay so much for a guy with terrible injury history. Definitely doesn't mean HB will just be another one of those. However in my view this is just a bad signing like Watkins that will hopefully turn out well for the Chiefs. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:23 AM, sith13 said:

So did Berry before we gave him the big contract. 

From my experience as a Chiefs fan it's always a bad idea to pay so much for a guy with terrible injury history. Definitely doesn't mean HB will just be another one of those. However in my view this is just a bad signing like Watkins that will hopefully turn out well for the Chiefs. 

Would the Chiefs played in the AFC championship game in Arrowhead without Watkins? 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Would the Chiefs played in the AFC championship game in Arrowhead without Watkins? 

It all depends on the alternative. If we don't sign Watkins who was our #2 target? Regardless, we didn't get our money's worth in Watkins spending that much on a WR with better health history could have even made our path easier or a good CB could have taken us even further. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

It all depends on the alternative. If we don't sign Watkins who was our #2 target? Regardless, we didn't get our money's worth in Watkins spending that much on a WR with better health history could have even made our path easier or a good CB could have taken us even further. 

YES Agree

Archived