Crowded Safety Market

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, sith13 said:

It all depends on the alternative. If we don't sign Watkins who was our #2 target? Regardless, we didn't get our money's worth in Watkins spending that much on a WR with better health history could have even made our path easier or a good CB could have taken us even further. 

Not sure about that.  If Watkins got the Chiefs only one more win, it was the difference between a wild card spot or home field.  What's that worth?  Put another way, would it be worth that cost to have had one DB with the ability to get a stop on the Pats' last regulation time drive?  Did the Chiefs have a choice to get that DB if they didn't spend on Watkins?  Reid wanted PM to have the best chance to succeed and got him another legit target.  I think it worked but no way to know what would have happened if all those throws went to Conley.   In 2015, the Royals mortgaged their future pitching staff to pick up two very short term FAs.  Was it worth it?  I'd say yes.  Did it work for the Chiefs?  Not quite, but very close.  

18 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

That's an iffy question because not landing Watkins doesn't prevent them from signing another receiver that could have had a similar impact for the Chiefs.

Who else out there was bringing the red zone threat we needed and upside potential along with 25 year old youth that he did? I think people confuse impact of spending big money short term with guarantees that lock teams into contracts long term.

12 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Bears just signed Haha to a 1/3.5 million dollar deal.   Wish we would have been in on that.   Potential starter and good depth.  

That's dirt cheap for him. We could have made up most of that cap space by releasing Dirty Dan.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

That's dirt cheap for him. We could have made up most of that cap space by releasing Dirty Dan.

Would have also given us another year to see if Watts could eventually replace him and would have wiped a whole position off of our need list.    HB, Dix, Lucas and Watts would have become a big strength.   Still not sure why Dirty Dan is still on this roster.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Would have also given us another year to see if Watts could eventually replace him and would have wiped a whole position off of our need list.    HB, Dix, Lucas and Watts would have become a big strength.   Still not sure why Dirty Dan is still on this roster.

If no team was willing to give him more than a 1 year low salary deal, there must be a good reason. Lots of teams need safety help.

2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

If no team was willing to give him more than a 1 year low salary deal, there must be a good reason. Lots of teams need safety help.

2nd wave of contracts and he probably went where he could do well for next years market and a long term deal where S will be not as crowded.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I thought Dirty Dan would be released by now but they might have plans to keep him for another year, definitely a mistake though. 

Dix is clearly going for what HB did last year, prove himself for a big pay day in a good defensive unit. 

21 hours ago, sith13 said:

I thought Dirty Dan would be released by now but they might have plans to keep him for another year, definitely a mistake though. 

Dix is clearly going for what HB did last year, prove himself for a big pay day in a good defensive unit. 

I was watching RGR's channel on youtube and he thinks Spags likes Sorenson and will keep him.  Sorenson is decent in the box and at blitzing, which is heavily used in Spag's defense.  

I would rather they just cut him.

On 3/16/2019 at 5:46 AM, SEMO said:

I was watching RGR's channel on youtube and he thinks Spags likes Sorenson and will keep him.  Sorenson is decent in the box and at blitzing, which is heavily used in Spag's defense.  

I would rather they just cut him.

Or he’ll be getting beat deep like he did multiple times this year. Rams game comes to mind.

Archived