Houston release is official

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

There's no reason to release him after just a week in trade market unless a free agent with a high price tag is coming to town. I'm guessing Collins. 

May have been clear nobody was going to trade for him? I dont think KC will get into the high bidding free agents. I certainly hope not. No more big free agent contracts please.

Just goes to show that Houston is about money. He's not about being a part of a team that's a mediocre defense away from winning a Superbowl. He should've restructured, especially for the team that took a chance on him and developed him. He's already made more money than most of us ever will.

Good riddance you selfish POS.

Just now, FANATIC said:

May have been clear nobody was going to trade for him? I dont think KC will get into the high bidding free agents. I certainly hope not. No more big free agent contracts please.

Houston could still stay as an insurance policy since we don't save any money by his release at this point unlike Berry. I would expect they would keep him as a trade bait or to a desperate GM that couldn't find his guy.  We might just be stuck with Ford for a year but a big name free agent is more likely. I'm also skeptical about an expensive FA as we have a terrible track record of finding guys that will get major injuries. 

12 minutes ago, KCTech said:

Just goes to show that Houston is about money. He's not about being a part of a team that's a mediocre defense away from winning a Superbowl. He should've restructured, especially for the team that took a chance on him and developed him. He's already made more money than most of us ever will.

Good riddance you selfish POS.

Nobody knows this? Maybe KC did not offer a restructure?  Houston is not a POS. I wish him well.

If anything the Chiefs had him play with a brace in a playoff game. That may have shortened his career by making the injury worse.

21 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Nobody knows this? Maybe KC did not offer a restructure?  Houston is not a POS. I wish him well.

If anything the Chiefs had him play with a brace in a playoff game. That may have shortened his career by making the injury worse.

Yeah, I haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate that the Chiefs actually requested Justin Houston take a paycut. 

The reality of the situation is I don't think the Chiefs planned to keep Justin Houston around, regardless of his cost.  The system changes didn't fit Houston or Ford well which made the choices that were made puzzling, but they likely made those changes with the idea in mind that both Houston and Ford weren't sticking around for the long haul.

The other thing is when that contract was written up in 2015, the likelyhood of him seeing it to the end was near zero.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

There's no reason to release him after just a week in trade market unless a free agent with a high price tag is coming to town. I'm guessing Collins. 

If Berry is still on this team after March 15th, I am not sure the Chiefs will go after Collins and spend that much money on the safety position.

Just now, NChiefsCorner said:

If Berry is still on this team after March 15th, I am not sure the Chiefs will go after Collins and spend that much money on the safety position.

I dont think they are in on Collins regardless. I hope not. Seems too many NFL players stop working hard when they get the big contract. Plenty of decent safties available. 

One player on this D will not make a huge difference. Thank goodness for Mahommes.

4 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

Bummer a fav of mine of the current Chiefs. Bad luck with injuries, but proved he would try to play through them, to his detriment.

Hard to say the same about Berry with the info available to this point.

JH50 will do well with somebody else . .  .bummer

Agree he should still have success. Was rated #80 in the NFL last year. Hope he is not in the AFC West so I can root for him.

Archived