Houston release is official

At what point do teams stop offering "break the bank" type of contracts? The Chiefs paid too much for Houston and Berry and Watkins. Every one of them has had injury issues and failed to live up to expectations that go with that kind of money. That is why it becomes such a problem with these massive contracts. Injuries and the loss of production. The only position worth setting the bar is for quarterback. Yet most likely the T Hill contract will be a bar setter for WR. Can't wait to see how this one blows up in the Chiefs face.😵

36 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Houston is no POS... wow

guy has been a model citizen. Great in the locker room... didn’t live up to the contract due to the injuries. 

Best wishes 

Been a great guy and a good player, but I don't know what he plans to accomplish with this, unless the restructure offer from the chiefs was a complete lowball offer.  While still solid, he's clearly declined and he's now on the wrong side of 30.  I'd be shocked if anyone were willing to give him 10 million a year.  I think it's more likely he gets 5-6 million per, probably on a 3 year deal.  

4 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Been a great guy and a good player, but I don't know what he plans to accomplish with this, unless the restructure offer from the chiefs was a complete lowball offer.  While still solid, he's clearly declined and he's now on the wrong side of 30.  I'd be shocked if anyone were willing to give him 10 million a year.  I think it's more likely he gets 5-6 million per, probably on a 3 year deal.  

Lol

If that's the case then why wouldn't he restructure with KC?

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

One player on this D will not make a huge difference. Thank goodness for Mahommes.

One play, one stop would have won four of the five losses the Chiefs suffered last season including the championship game.  There's such a fine margin that one player could make the difference between a good season and a Super Bowl.  The job of the staff is to identify which players can get the team over the hump.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Lol

If that's the case then why wouldn't he restructure with KC?

That's why I said "unless the chiefs shot him a lowball offer".  Or it's very possible that Houston thinks he can get more as a FA than what the Chiefs offered.  There's no way for us to know.  It's just my opinion that he's not going to get 10+ million a year from anyone.

49 minutes ago, jetlord said:

One play, one stop would have won four of the five losses the Chiefs suffered last season including the championship game.  There's such a fine margin that one player could make the difference between a good season and a Super Bowl.  The job of the staff is to identify which players can get the team over the hump.

^^^^^^^^^

This....this.....and THIS!! I said this at the end of last year that if the Chiefs just have an "average" defense they are probably 16-2 or 17-1 and in the Super Bowl. All they needed in most of their losses was a key stop late and its over. I don't care if they have to blow up the entire defense to get that unit to where it needs to be....do it. But the worst thing they can do is slap a band-aid on it and hope for better. Spags I think will help some but New England proves time and time again you don't need a unit of Super Stars. Guys who know their role and come to work hungry.

Its beginning to look like the Chiefs didn't have Houston nor Ford in their long term plans.   And let's be honest, most of us would take a guy like Frank Clark or any number of other DE's over Ford so if your gonna pay a guy big bucks why not get the one you want.  We are clearly a SB caliber offensive team and FA's will recognize that especially pass rushers.   If everything works out well we will nab a pass rusher to replace Ford for close to the same amount of money we would have given Ford and still net a 2nd rounder and possibly another pick.   Not a bad start to FA imo.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Its beginning to look like the Chiefs didn't have Houston nor Ford in their long term plans.   And let's be honest, most of us would take a guy like Frank Clark or any number of other DE's over Ford so if your gonna pay a guy big bucks why not get the one you want.  We are clearly a SB caliber offensive team and FA's will recognize that especially pass rushers.   If everything works out well we will nab a pass rusher to replace Ford for close to the same amount of money we would have given Ford and still net a 2nd rounder and possibly another pick.   Not a bad start to FA imo.

A lot of people think the Chiefs will net a second and possibly more.  Based on what?  Show me. 

8 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

If Berry is still on this team after March 15th, I am not sure the Chiefs will go after Collins and spend that much money on the safety position.

After going after Thomas during the season I'm pretty sure they are willing to spend the money on a 2nd safety. Obviously circumstances are very different during the season but who knows.

That being said Chiefs would need some cap space to release Berry before the salary becomes guaranteed, which could be another reason to release Houston when he has no cap benefits to us. 

The Chiefs had already done some contract restructuring in 2016  and converted salary to bonus, pushing the cost up on his contract now.    Chiefs will be fine.  Unfortunately , you cannot pay everyone big $$$$.  Evaluating talent, drafting well, and finding guys to plug in on the cheap are essential in maintaining a competitive roster.   Chiefs will be fine.

My take: Chiefs need to be careful with Ford. This board will be lamenting a lack of pressure is the problem not the Dbs. " You cant cover forever".  Remember those days?

49ers potential NFL free agent target: Justin Houston | Niners Nation

The 30-year-old veteran played in 12 games last season, totaling 37 tackles, eight tackles for loss, 12 quarterback hits, nine sacks and five forced fumbles. Houston earned an overall grade of 85.7 from Pro Football Focus. His 14.2% pressure rate ranked ninth and his 20.3% pass-rush win rate ranked third among edge defenders. Houston would offer the 49ers a credible threat coming off the edge of their crowded defensive front.

With the 49ers primed to land a young pass rusher in the draft, signing Houston to a one- or two-year deal would pay dividends both in short-term production and long-term development.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

according to 810 AM WHB the Chiefs did try to re negotiate..no info on what was offered

Not Surprised. They were ready to move on.

FYI

Joel Corry @corryjoel

FollowFollow @corryjoel
More

Justin Houston isn't making anything from the Chiefs this year. His $15.5M salary for 2019 was unsecured. The remaining $5.6M of his 2019 salary cap number was bonus proration.

5:34 PM - 10 Mar 2019

17 hours ago, dhitter said:

At what point do teams stop offering "break the bank" type of contracts? The Chiefs paid too much for Houston and Berry and Watkins. Every one of them has had injury issues and failed to live up to expectations that go with that kind of money. That is why it becomes such a problem with these massive contracts. Injuries and the loss of production. The only position worth setting the bar is for quarterback. Yet most likely the T Hill contract will be a bar setter for WR. Can't wait to see how this one blows up in the Chiefs face.😵

I agree with you to an extent, but I think Dorsey made the mistake of waiting too late to do Houstons deal. They Should have go it done after his 3rd season. This was the season before the 22 sack year.

Tyreek Hill just finished his 3rd season and I'm glad they're trying to get on top of this now, and get his contact done. It's still probably going to be really high, but I have a feeling he may be even better this upcoming season,  after a year with Mahomes. It goes without saying but, the Chiefs just have to be smarter the way they do contracts.

7 hours ago, qnet said:

I agree with you to an extent, but I think Dorsey made the mistake of waiting too late to do Houstons deal. They Should have go it done after his 3rd season. This was the season before the 22 sack year.

Tyreek Hill just finished his 3rd season and I'm glad they're trying to get on top of this now, and get his contact done. It's still probably going to be really high, but I have a feeling he may be even better this upcoming season,  after a year with Mahomes. It goes without saying but, the Chiefs just have to be smarter the way they do contracts.

I agree with all this. And yet the buzz around the water cooler is that Tyreek is going to break the OBJ deal. 95-100 million. So another record breaking deal. And then you have Mahomes and oh some guy named Chris Jones. I have no problem with paying a guy top money. It's all about value. Have we gotten good value for Houston or Berry? Or even Watkins or Hitchens for that matter. Seems to me more often than not the Chiefs get less than what they paid for on these big contracts.

6 hours ago, dhitter said:

I agree with all this. And yet the buzz around the water cooler is that Tyreek is going to break the OBJ deal. 95-100 million. So another record breaking deal. And then you have Mahomes and oh some guy named Chris Jones. I have no problem with paying a guy top money. It's all about value. Have we gotten good value for Houston or Berry? Or even Watkins or Hitchens for that matter. Seems to me more often than not the Chiefs get less than what they paid for on these big contracts.

In short you can't pay everyone and expect sustainable success, the key is always drafting well and letting some good players leave for cap reasons only to replace them with cheap FAs or new draft picks. 

Archived