Chiefs free agent rumors and signings 2019

17 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Our secondary cannot cover guys for 10 seconds if we have no pass rush .... you are right about our rush disappearing in key games.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just think its clear the core group we had last year failed on defense and keeping them together when the CAP hits for Houston, Ford and Berry combined to be over 45 million makes no sense. And yet much like the never ending slew of backup QBs this organization used to run through here, it was that status quo. I realize we aren't as talented today as we were on Jan 15th. But these moves give us a better opportunity to get where we need to go. 

I actually see the Chiefs using this wave of huge national appeal to make some tough unpopular decisions and actually make us a long term power in this league. Doesn't mean I like every move, but I do appeciate the general direction I think they are trying to go. Make us not only great, but great for a long term period. 

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don't disagree with you at all. I just think its clear the core group we had last year failed on defense and keeping them together when the CAP hits for Houston, Ford and Berry combined to be over 45 million makes no sense. And yet much like the never ending slew of backup QBs this organization used to run through here, it was that status quo. I realize we aren't as talented today as we were on Jan 15th. But these moves give us a better opportunity to get where we need to go.  

I actually see the Chiefs using this wave of huge national appeal to make some tough unpopular decisions and actually make us a long term power in this league. Doesn't mean I like every move, but I do appeciate the general direction I think they are trying to go. Make us not only great, but great for a long term period. 

I like where your head is at MLoe ... and I am cool with the moves they have made, but I am a bit nervous.  I am curious what the plan is for pass rushers.  Do we roll with Kpass & Speaks at DE?  Do we bump Chris Jones out to DE? 

Obviously there are going to be significant roster moves made between now and opening day.  I just hope we don't see a repeat of last year where we brought in a bunch of scrubs to start in the secondary and relied on Berry to be the Berry of old.

3 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I like where your head is at MLoe ... and I am cool with the moves they have made, but I am a bit nervous.  I am curious what the plan is for pass rushers.  Do we roll with Kpass & Speaks at DE?  Do we bump Chris Jones out to DE? 

Obviously there are going to be significant roster moves made between now and opening day.  I just hope we don't see a repeat of last year where we brought in a bunch of scrubs to start in the secondary and relied on Berry to be the Berry of old.

Heavy DL draft. I think we go DE in the draft. Get a CB like Darby and if we can get Dix at FS then we will be set for the draft and depth. 

9 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I think Speaks and Jones are inside and could be formidable. Not sure I would call myself any more than hopeful about KPass though. We can't and shouldn't try to fix all these defections in free agency. We've got to be good on draft day!

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Chris Jones led the team in sacks.  We have no idea what KPass or Speaks can do as 4-3 defensive ends.  Honey Badger is an effective pass rusher and we are yet to draft.  Plus we have a new coordinator that is known for creating pressure. 

Why do you think that is?  I would argue teams were worried about Houston and Ford leaving him one on one a lot.  Ow all they have to worry about is Jones. 

The Chiefs are hosting free agent CB Ronald Darby on Wednesday night.

Most free agents aren't going on visits nowadays, but Darby needs to coming off a torn ACL in Week 10. If Darby passes a physical, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports there is a good chance the Chiefs will sign him.

42 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Why do you think that is?  I would argue teams were worried about Houston and Ford leaving him one on one a lot.  Ow all they have to worry about is Jones. 

He had a sack every game when Houston was out of the lineup. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I think you could also argue that Chris Jones emerged and that allowed dee ford to have a career year. 

Very good point.....but don’t say it to loud or Veach might trade him!  Haha

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Surprising a team in a rebuild mode of sorts would spend like that on a 31 year old isn't it?  That said I love Earl Thomas. He's been the best safety in football since he was drafted. 

Ravens have on "rebuilt" once- 2002-2003

They are more of a "reload" team.  Losing Suggs and Zadarius Smith who combined for 16 sacks last year is not a big deal- they got a qtr of that in one game. At that money, it wasn't worth it. Suggs had 1.5 down the stretch...

Thomas is a playmaker at 29 (turns 30 in May) so he is 3-4 years older than the Honey Badger but at a cheaper price

33 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Ravens have on "rebuilt" once- 2002-2003

They are more of a "reload" team.  Losing Suggs and Zadarius Smith who combined for 16 sacks last year is not a big deal- they got a qtr of that in one game. At that money, it wasn't worth it. Suggs had 1.5 down the stretch...

Thomas is a playmaker at 29 (turns 30 in May) so he is 3-4 years older than the Honey Badger but at a cheaper price

Not really.  The average is about 250k less per year, but the ravens are locked in for longer with the guarantees in that contract, whereas I would bet KC has an out on HB after year 2.  Could be worth it for Thomas, but who knows.  Seems high for a 3rd contract guy, but hey if it works out on the field then it's all good.

Btw I agree it's not that big of a deal with the pass rushers you lost.  One's old and the other was pretty mediocre.  Pretty similiar to what we jettisoned.

Archived