Chiefs free agent rumors and signings 2019

On 3/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, liquidfriend said:

His sources seem more solid than mine, but yeah good dude and I don't think he's blindly tossing darts.

Nothing more than a simple guess, but I don't think Peterson trade will happen unless the Cardinals decide to re-tear everything down again and take Murray.  Hard to build onto something when you dump your best player, but if you're flushing it all once again than you should really consider making the move.

I have no doubt it's true.  This corner class is very meh.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, xen said:

I have no doubt it's true.  This corner class is very meh.

Seth Keysor is basically screaming for a splash type trade he thinks will happen. He points out we only have 12 players under contract in 2021 so this is a blank slate with CAP room and draft picks to target players they think fit long term. Plus a few of those corners come with a few cheap years still. Interesting anyway.  I personally don't like trading picks away for veterans but he makes a good point.  

17 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Seth Keysor is basically screaming for a splash type trade he thinks will happen. He points out we only have 12 players under contract in 2021 so this is a blank slate with CAP room and draft picks to target players they think fit long term. Plus a few of those corners come with a few cheap years still. Interesting anyway.  I personally don't like trading picks away for veterans but he makes a good point.  

who is Seth Keysor?

Yea it depends. if  our #1 need is CB and the draft class is Meh why not trade for a proven commodity? Either bundle for a few higher picks or for a proven commodity either or is better than  standing still  unless you have atop 10 pick in each round ..JMO

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who is Seth Keysor?

Yea it depends. if  our #1 need is CB and the draft class is Meh why not trade for a proven commodity? Either bundle for a few higher picks or for a proven commodity either or is better than  standing still  unless you have atop 10 pick in each round ..JMO

Keysor is a Chiefs beat writer for The Athletic. I think that's kind of the point he's making. We now have resources and money to go out and get a top corner or even pass rusher that's a better fit than what we had or what we can get in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

If the Chiefs want to get better today, I think they have to figure out a splash type of deal.  They are in the worst situation when it comes to the hole they have at CB.

Personally I would extend Fuller right now as our slot guy. I like what I saw from Ward late in the season but there's too much on the line for us in 2019 to count on him as a starter on the outside in my opinion. But I'd be okay in a scenario he's competing with Breeland for a spot while the other is solved through a trade. Or draft a guy early and let all three compete for two spots. At least that's a talent upgrade. The weakside defensive end spot has to be addressed too. 

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Twitter rumbling about Jadeveon Clowney possibilities.  Probably just speculation...

SmartSelect_20190328-093914_Chrome.jpg

It certainly makes some sense. A full contract younger than Justin Houston he's also a good fit at the weakside DE spot. That guy is a physical freak who can play anywhere and is as good as it gets vs the run. On the other hand we quickly get into needing to pay a big contract to a guy with some injury history. At least he's ascending. Talent wise I'd do it. But the intangible stuff I don't know about him is the crucial piece to considering a massive move like this. He's gotta check all the boxes with that type of investment. 

I don’t like Clowney.  If we need to trade for a vet, sell out and get Peterson.  It may take a 1+ right now, BUT... if AZ can get a 2 for Rosen, they may take a little less for PP.  Maybe two 2s. Then address EDGE in the draft.

4 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I don’t like Clowney.  If we need to trade for a vet, sell out and get Peterson.  It may take a 1+ right now, BUT... if AZ can get a 2 for Rosen, they may take a little less for PP.  Maybe two 2s. Then address EDGE in the draft.

How is two 2s a little less than a 2?

21 minutes ago, xen said:

Not sure of the injury history but has been pretty consistent with QB pressures the last 3 years.

Yeah hes improved as a pass rusher and is a beast against the run. For those who will undoubtedly ask why not just keep Ford? Clowney isnt a liability in any phase. He doesnt need to come off the field. He can do everything well.

I think some fans continue to underestimate just how sick the Chiefs are of not being able to stop the run. They are willing to sacrifice some pass rush to do it.

26 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Personally I would extend Fuller right now as our slot guy. I like what I saw from Ward late in the season but there's too much on the line for us in 2019 to count on him as a starter on the outside in my opinion. But I'd be okay in a scenario he's competing with Breeland for a spot while the other is solved through a trade. Or draft a guy early and let all three compete for two spots. At least that's a talent upgrade. The weakside defensive end spot has to be addressed too. 

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah hes improbed as a pass rusher and is a beast against the run. For those who will undoubtedly ask why not just keep Ford? Clowney isnt a liability in any phase. He doesnt need to come off the field. He can do everything well.

I think some fans continue to underestimate just how sick the Chiefs are of not being able to stop the run. They are willing to sacrifice some pass rush to do it.

Yes and yes.

You can't complain about a bad Defense and turn around and field a bunch of one dimensional guys.  The Chiefs made hard, but correct choices.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah hes improved as a pass rusher and is a beast against the run. For those who will undoubtedly ask why not just keep Ford? Clowney isnt a liability in any phase. He doesnt need to come off the field. He can do everything well.

You nailed it that Clowney is a beast vs the run where Ford was average at best. He's played nearly every game for three straight seasons now too so the injury concerns are mitigated at least somewhat I guess. The guy is a big risk with the contact he will command. I get that. He's an instant upgrade over Ford or Houston though and is younger. Again this is as speculative as the thing I posted about this a few weeks ago. We need a guy and they have one type deal more than anything substancial. 

Pretty good film review of Clowney that starts about halfway through the article. I don't like the fact he was non existent in their pass rush the first three weeks. But he had a really good season after that. Wondering if effort, attitude or anything else has been an issue with him besides the early injuries? Film seems to show a big time talent but one the Texans don't want to extend. 

https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/11/13/18090736/the-film-room-j-j-watt-jadeveon-clowney-and-the-texans-pass-rush

36 minutes ago, SEMO said:

31 minutes ago, xen said:

How is two 2s a little less than a 2?

I like Clowney and could it be as easy to say that Houston like him enough to tag him BUT think he fits better as a 4-3 DE so is more limited, even though still great, at being a 3-4 OLB?  

Makes sense to me to give up NOTHING more than what we got for Ford.  Id just offer than 9ers pick and nothing more.  Than it’s like we traded Ford for Clowney to better fit Spags D.

12 minutes ago, Balto said:

I like Clowney and could it be as easy to say that Houston like him enough to tag him BUT think he fits better as a 4-3 DE so is more limited, even though still great, at being a 3-4 OLB?  

Makes sense to me to give up NOTHING more than what we got for Ford.  Id just offer than 9ers pick and nothing more.  Than it’s like we traded Ford for Clowney to better fit Spags D.

Good way to look at it. If you can essentially trade Ford for Clowney and get him signed to a similar deal then we get a much better run defender that's also two years younger and a better system fit.  Its for the first two reasons plus reality Clowney has had back to back good seasons that I think they would want more and he would want more though. That's all crucial here for sure. 

I'd rather have PP than Clowney, but only because PP is a better overall player and if we have to pay one a big contract I'd rather pay the better player.    Then package some picks to move up for a pass rusher.    Either way we need to 2 more impact players on D.  Not necessarily a huge name trade target but some guy or guys who can play. 

7 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I'd rather have PP than Clowney, but only because PP is a better overall player and if we have to pay one a big contract I'd rather pay the better player.    Then package some picks to move up for a pass rusher.    Either way we need to 2 more impact players on D.  Not necessarily a huge name trade target but some guy or guys who can play. 

Looking at the draft class DE might be easier to find so PP would be an instant upgrade for a lot less than Clowney. His contract is lame as well. 

Archived