Honey Badger to the Chiefs

40 minutes ago, wilkie said:

To tell you how old I am, Honey Badger was the nickname of Chiefs linebacker Willie Lanier #63.  Outstanding MLB.   That was in 1968.  When I saw the headline I said,  WTF???

I believe Lanier was The Honey Bear.

5 minutes ago, wilkie said:

You are right.  At least I got the honey part correct.   Wish we had him as his 1968 self now.

Younger fans cannot possibly understand how good Lanier, Bobby Bell and Jim Lynch were as a linebacking crew in those days.

11 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Word is the Chiefs were on the verge of getting him for 10 per year, but the Redskins really f'd it all with Collins and pushed the market out of whack. 

That's exactly what I heard. When someone overpays a player it resets the market and screws it up all the way down the line.

16 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

The funny thing is with the money going heavily on S early, that could actually open a trade market for Eric Berry.

He’s got to some health clearance for me to consider anything. Who knows where this guy is health wise..

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

He’s got to some health clearance for me to consider anything. Who knows where this guy is health wise..

If he passes a thorough physical, I'd definitely roll the dice on him at reasonable base salaries if I felt he could get close to his prior form.

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

If he passes a thorough physical, I'd definitely roll the dice on him at reasonable base salaries if I felt he could get close to his prior form.

I think they are also rolling the dice on his health. If healthy Berry will be a key player this year and the switch to 4-3 will be much smoother as well as having a great secondary with Honey Badger in town. They might be aiming at back to back SB pushes until the new CBA.

9 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The funny thing is with the money going heavily on S early, that could actually open a trade market for Eric Berry.

No one wants him, except the Chiefs.

Especially at that money. When you cost the same against the cap if you are on that team or not, there is no value for a trade

PFT's Mike Florio believes the Chiefs' signing of Tyrann Mathieu "likely means" the team will release Eric Berry.

Mathieu landed a contract that counts $14 million per year as the league's highest-paid safety. And with Berry making $13 million annually, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Chiefs to pay a combined $27 million per year to its safety tandem. Berry has played three games over the last two seasons due to Achilles and heel issues. He doesn't need surgery this offseason, but Berry is looking like damaged goods and on the wrong side of 30. If the Chiefs were to release Berry, it will likely happen this week before over $7 million of his salary becomes guaranteed.

46 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

No one wants him, except the Chiefs.

Especially at that money. When you cost the same against the cap if you are on that team or not, there is no value for a trade

If he got traded he wouldn't cost his new team nearly as much.  But probably still too much.  After the Chiefs eat the guarantees the new team would be looking at:

Screenshot_20190312-073702_Chrome.jpg

Are we to assume EB is a goner because of this signing? 

I say no. 

A safety tandem with the honey badger and three ghosts of Eric Berry is a Super Bowl caliber safety tandem. 

Draft well at edge and cb and get another couple defensive players in the linebacker spots in free agency and the Chiefs are not the 31st ranked defense and are in the top 15 of defensive teams. 

This team is four or five moves away on both sides of the ball now from being the odds on favorite to win it all. 

6 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

Are we to assume EB is a goner because of this signing? 

I say no. 

A safety tandem with the honey badger and three ghosts of Eric Berry is a Super Bowl caliber safety tandem. 

Draft well at edge and cb and get another couple defensive players in the linebacker spots in free agency and the Chiefs are not the 31st ranked defense and are in the top 15 of defensive teams. 

This team is four or five moves away on both sides of the ball now from being the odds on favorite to win it all. 

Soooooo...8-10 new starters for a team that was 18 inches away from a Super Bowl?

Just now, gballs said:

Soooooo...8-10 new starters for a team that was 18 inches away from a Super Bowl?

Uh yeah. New Defensive coordinator new players new scheme. Not blowing it up completely but keeping the right players and using top 3 picks in 1st and 2nd rounds to augment the defense. 

Archived