Pass Rush? Why all the Spags Love?

Hey. I am hoping Spags can work miracles with the current defense roster. It will take devine intervention...literally a miracle. Spags has no recent claim to being the Defense Whisperer. Spags this Spags that...blah,blah,blah.

So if KC trades Ford where will a pass rush come from? Oh yes ....I see .....Spags loves to blitz.  Other teams can plan for that and you still need  real talent to blitz. Yes the draft is coming soon and maybe KC will hit a homerun on some hidden talent that only KC knew about. 🙄

So why all the shout outs for Spags? Why the dump Ford Push? Educate me. Ford is at the Top of His Game & based on recent signings not overpaid. 

I am not sold on the dumping Ford speculation , however the Chiefs do have some draft picks to work with if they do.  The big difference is the willingness to tailor the scheme to fit players abilities instead of what Sutton did in force fitting players into his scheme. There is a lot to be seen here. The Chiefs need to be respectable on Defense. If we luck out and they are a top 10 Defense, we go undefeated with an average margin of victory of 14 points.  Yeah, there is work to do, but I think we have to be a little bit excited about KC in 2019.

1 minute ago, Docbarnabee said:

I am not sold on the dumping Ford speculation , however the Chiefs do have some draft picks to work with if they do.  The big difference is the willingness to tailor the scheme to fit players abilities instead of what Sutton did in force fitting players into his scheme. There is a lot to be seen here. The Chiefs need to be respectable on Defense. If we luck out and they are a top 10 Defense, we go undefeated with an average margin of victory of 14 points.  Yeah, there is work to do, but I think we have to be a little bit excited about KC in 2019.

Agree. Good info. So at this stage KC will need to draft a pass rush if they trade Ford?

This is the stuff the Patriots pull year and year out.  They just let Trey Flowers flat out walk, no franchise tag, no tag and trade, WALKED. 

The Chiefs are keeping their options open with Ford because they don't wanna spend the money on him, same with Mitch Morse being let go.

Get younger, go cheaper and get the draft pick compensation.

Ford is a one dimensional player that can't keep contain against the run.  I get it, sacks are sexy, but I don't think he "fits" into our transition.  Because of his age we have a chance to get a good pick in return.  The problem is, he's only had this past season where he didn't fight injuries, which makes me wary of him in the future, and could make other teams scoff at our asking price.  One good year pressuring the QB doesn't make him an irreplaceable part.  Also, everyone assumes that he can just transition to a 43 end from a 34 OLB with ease.  While in theory that's all well and good, the league history is littered with guys whose numbers fell off a cliff after a scheme change.  

There's just not a great spot for Ford in a 4-3.  He's too small to play defensive end, and not someone that's gonna hold and edge in the run game, and he's not really a candidate to play OLB because that takes away his only strength.  He is a pure edge rusher in a 3-4.  If we are gonna make a switch to a 4-3, then our pass rush is gonna come from guys like Jared Allen types.  Tamba Hali was one that could play either position because he had the size and strength to be a 4-3 DE. 

Sign high football iq guys who do their job. Stop the run consistently. Try to force a deflected pass on third down. Give the ball back to mahomes. Profit.

anything but the 12 play drives that eat up an entire quarter of play.

anything but the dbs playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage allowing quick passes for automatic first downs

I get people wanted change,  but I'd have loved to have pulled in a 3-4 DC. At least we had the pass rush and would only need to focus on S & CB this year. I think you bring in Honeybadger and draft a couple CB and we are super bowl bound THIS year staying in a 3-4 system . Now we are unloading known quantities that can get to the passer for a complete mystery that could be a year or two away. Just my take.  

3 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I get people wanted change,  but I'd have loved to have pulled in a 3-4 DC. At least we had the pass rush and would only need to focus on S & CB this year. I think you bring in Honeybadger and draft a couple CB and we are super bowl bound THIS year staying in a 3-4 system . Now we are unloading known quantities that can get to the passer for a complete mystery that could be a year or two away. Just my take.  

interesting point thanks 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Hey. I am hoping Spags can work miracles with the current defense roster. It will take devine intervention...literally a miracle. Spags has no recent claim to being the Defense Whisperer. Spags this Spags that...blah,blah,blah.

So if KC trades Ford where will a pass rush come from? Oh yes ....I see .....Spags loves to blitz.  Other teams can plan for that and you still need  real talent to blitz. Yes the draft is coming soon and maybe KC will hit a homerun on some hidden talent that only KC knew about. 🙄

So why all the shout outs for Spags? Why the dump Ford Push? Educate me. Ford is at the Top of His Game & based on recent signings not overpaid. 

Knows how to beat the Patriots in the playoffs and has taken over two bottom feeder defenses and made them top five within two years.  And now he’s in rare situation where we’ve got money and draft picks to change culture quickly. 

They LOVE Speaks in new defense. Jones is a beast. And Spags blitzing scheme along with guys like HB and DOD can execute can create pass rush from all angles.  I’m sure we will continue to add such players and of course we do need a guy on outside of dline who can get after QB and set edge enough. That’s either Ford or we can use pick to help find it. 

All I know is every explosive offense completely gobbled us up. Every single one.  Spags and staff around him is a HUGE upgrade. Its gonna get fixed in my opinion , just a question of how fast. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Knows how to beat the Patriots in the playoffs and has taken over two bottom feeder defenses and made them top five within two years.  And now he’s in rare situation where we’ve got money and draft picks to change culture quickly. 

They LOVE Speaks in new defense. Jones is a beast. And Spags blitzing scheme along with guys like HB and DOD can execute can create pass rush from all angles.  I’m sure we will continue to add such players and of course we do need a guy on outside of dline who can get after QB and set edge enough. That’s either Ford or we can use pick to help find it. 

All I know is every explosive offense completely gobbled us up. Every single one.  Spags and staff around him is a HUGE upgrade. Its gonna get fixed in my opinion , just a question of how fast. 

Good insight. Better fix fast...... I see two year window.

Our defense was about as historically bad as our offense was historically good. It will take a couple of years to rebuild it all. All the young guys playing out of position (if at all) with Sutton’s abomination scheme will be in sink or swim mode now. It is way too early to tell if we somehow get worse or not.

25 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Our defense was about as historically bad as our offense was historically good. It will take a couple of years to rebuild it all. All the young guys playing out of position (if at all) with Sutton’s abomination scheme will be in sink or swim mode now. It is way too early to tell if we somehow get worse or not.

Can't get much worse

3 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Total defense was 31 out of 32 teams......Why should we keep anyone on the D side of the ball making over league minimum?  Seriously why?

Just now, Balto said:

Total defense was 31 out of 32 teams......Why should we keep anyone on the D side of the ball making over league minimum?  Seriously why?

True & why pay another safety 14 mill when the majority of the defense is as you said.......league min standard? 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

Good insight. Better fix fast...... I see two year window.

We’ve got three years before Mahomes salary dramatically impacts CAP. And there’s gonna be a new CBA after that which could be game changer.  As such everything Veach does needs to build for these three years in free agency and then draft to go beyond that.  

Just now, FANATIC said:

True & why pay another safety 14 mill when the majority of the defense is as you said.......league min standard? 

That safety was part of a top 10 defense.  You gotta try to improve and that usually means cherry pick from the top Ds players and cut the current trash.

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

We’ve got three years before Mahomes salary dramatically impacts CAP. And there’s gonna be a new CBA after that which could be game changer.  As such everything Veach does needs to build for these three years in free agency and then draft to go beyond that.  

Thats why its a 2 year window. After that its a Greenbay/Rogers situation.

3 minutes ago, Balto said:

You are right. We were miserable against good QBs every time. Build this thing now in a vision they want, not one they were handed.  Doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does make a lot sense to me anyway.  

1 minute ago, Balto said:

That safety was part of a top 10 defense.  You gotta try to improve and that usually means cherry pick from the top Ds players and cut the current trash.

So this one really good player with a bunch of not good, as you stated, is a good move? Not so sure. Veach & free agency is questionable so far.

20 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

So this one really good player with a bunch of not good, as you stated, is a good move? Not so sure. Veach & free agency is questionable so far.

Well they can’t cut everyone all at once can they?

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Well they can’t cut everyone all at once can they?

Look I hope these moves are all excellent. My point is why add an expensive apple to a rotten bunch. You still get mold. Plus no pass rush offsets this move. Its early we shall hope for the best. Note: I enjoy watching Dee Ford play and know he will be missed. 

8 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Are you sure? That would be great. 

Yes. 1st round picks automatically give club a 5th year option.  CBA complicates things but I’d bet we get extension done before that. But they won’t kill our CAP in 2021 to do it. 

Archived