4 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

You will come to find that Mahomes' defense will probably always be "bad" until he learns how to manage the clock.

No, because of time of possession? An average defense will stop a team more than once a game. That means more offensive possessions being able to stop their run game etc. No need not to score and make them one dimensional trying to play catch up. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

14 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Last I checked Smith never got us to the AFC championship though

He got an improving 49ers team to an NFC Championship, and his offense outscored his opponent's offense on points per drive in the loss. Regrettably, the best target Smith had in his time with the Chiefs was Jeremy Maclin, and Maclin was useful for exactly one year.

People that say they appreciated Smith often don't value him for being anything more than better than Cassel. He was worth far more to the Chiefs than that.

14 hours ago, reesebobby said:

He had the best regular season record in the afc.  Had. And had us a coin flip from the super bowl.  Alex Smith could not carry Patrick Mahoney jock strap. I like Smith. But he is not even in mahomes league. 

Smith had a 12-4 season with the Chiefs, and a 13-3 season with the 49ers. "Best regular season record" in a given year is relative.

S'ok. There's plenty of football down the road, and Mahomes has his whole career in front of him to deliver to Chiefs fans a Super Bowl win. Maybe.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Yes there is.  Stick around and watch a real QB.  

I'm watching. I've seen more eye-candy than actual football acumen, but to each his own.

The goal is winning a Super Bowl, not completing no-look passes against defenses with just over a full season of game tape to look at when preparing. The real chess game begins when defenses start taking away Mahomes' bread-and-butter, which at present is his play outside the pocket.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Just stick around and watch.  They're going to load up the Offense a little more and a whole season worth of film to look over will have a lot of value.

Kid was MVP and is only going to get better.

You put more stake in MVP than I do. How many Super Bowls have the Panthers won with Cam Newton? His best year was the product of scheme and the production of his peers.

He'll get better. He wasn't the best quarterback in the league last year. Or second-best. And there are no guarantees that his progression will outpace opposing coaches' efforts to zero in on his weaknesses.

We'll see.

30 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Smith had a 12-4 season with the Chiefs, and a 13-3 season with the 49ers. "Best regular season record" in a given year is relative.

S'ok. There's plenty of football down the road, and Mahomes has his whole career in front of him to deliver to Chiefs fans a Super Bowl win. Maybe.

39 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

He got an improving 49ers team to an NFC Championship, and his offense outscored his opponent's offense on points per drive in the loss. Regrettably, the best target Smith had in his time with the Chiefs was Jeremy Maclin, and Maclin was useful for exactly one year.

People that say they appreciated Smith often don't value him for being anything more than better than Cassel. He was worth far more to the Chiefs than that.

He led the team to 29th in total passing yards the year he was in the championship with the 49ers. He was a very intelligent guy who would protect the ball but not someone you could count on to be the guy to take the reigns.

He was good for us in stabilizing the position and helping Mahomes but through it all he had just one playoff win with some good teams here. Mahomes matched that in year one. He matched the AFC championship game that Smith had in the NFC.

So Kelce and Hunt were not better than Maclin? Lol he could not utilize Hill properly because he did not have the long ball touch and would under throw him quite often.

The continued sticking up for the guy is laughable. We are much better with Mahomes and youbsaying any different shows your true bias. Mahimes threw for more yards and TDs than Smith has ever done in one season, this in his first full season. He did this with a RG out for the season. LG out at times center out for some games too and yet we had fewer sacks. How many times did Smith lead a number one passing attack in his career?

Also many have said thsmat Mahomes acumen and work ethic,  video studies is beyond light years ahead for someone so young. Throw in his photographic memory and tou have much more than eye candy. To say anything about his acumen is laughable.

I will add his poise to not having happy feet and if he left the locker he kept his eyes down field. This is why he had so many yards outside the oaocket when throwing. This part if an article also shows exactly what I said above about his acumen.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24933520/nfl-how-turbo-andy-reid-went-all-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs

Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs hosted Mahomes for a pre-draft workout during the spring of 2017. Like other teams, they created a mock install day to teach him a portion of their offense. Mahomes sat quietly, listening and writing furiously with a pencil, as Reid taught him a selection of plays, formations, protections and calls. When it was over, they sent him out of the room for a break and to test his retention. When he returned, Reid flipped the scenario. Now it was time for Mahomes to "install" the offense to him. Mahomes walked to the front of the room, stood at the white board and -- in the unique Texas-twang voice that Reid has appropriately called "froggish" -- spit out the Chiefs' offense nearly verbatim from the morning session. "The recall that he has is crazy," offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said later. "You can go through maybe 12-15 plays during a seven-on-seven period. Then later, you sit back and ask him exactly what happened on, say, Play 3. He can recall exactly what happened, who he threw it to. He can tell you exactly what coverage they were playing, right off the top of his head. That's one of the most impressive things about him. That tells you he sees everything and absorbs it, what a lot of guys don't." He displayed not only what the Chiefs would discover to be a photographic memory, the kind that Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner has said exists in all elite passers, but also a deep understanding of the connection of NFL concepts. In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, former Arizona Cardinalscoach Bruce Arians later compared him to the way Peyton Manning and Drew Brees sound when they talk football. Reid was sold. "You got the sense," Reid said recently in his understated way, "that Patrick was going to be OK.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

In an interview with The Los Angeles Times, former Arizona Cardinalscoach Bruce Arians later compared him to the way Peyton Manning and Drew Brees sound when they talk football. Reid was sold. "You got the sense," Reid said recently in his understated way, "that Patrick was going to be OK.

Brees and Manning have Super Bowl rings.

Show me.

14 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Even Colin Kaepernick took them to the Super Bowl.  More success than Alex?  Check.

So much success, and yet politics are the excuse he can't earn a roster spot. Kaepernick wasn't good. Dom Capers was a bigger contributor to the 49ers Super Bowl run in 2012.

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Also many have said thsmat Mahomes acumen and work ethic,  video studies is beyond light years ahead for someone so young. Throw in his photographic memory and tou have much more than eye candy. To say anything about his acumen is laughable.

He can use a chalkboard. Most second-string quarterbacks wouldn't have a job in the NFL if they couldn't do that.

Let's not exaggerate. I didn't attack his work ethic. But he is not a game manager, and that was the biggest barrier to the Chiefs getting past the Patriots.

3 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Brees and Manning have Super Bowl rings.

Show me.

Lol his first year. Care to show me Smith's ring? I mean a guy this young and his potential to go higher and farther while making those around him better......but yet you still talk about a 34 year old an who is about done in football years. Sad all you got out of that article was this one line. Nothing at all about his acumen as you put it

47 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

I'm watching. I've seen more eye-candy than actual football acumen, but to each his own.

The goal is winning a Super Bowl, not completing no-look passes against defenses with just over a full season of game tape to look at when preparing. The real chess game begins when defenses start taking away Mahomes' bread-and-butter, which at present is his play outside the pocket.

You attacked his acumen here....lol

Just now, kkuenn said:

Lol his first year. Care to show me Smith's ring? I mean a guy this young and his potential to go higher and farther while making those around him better......but yet you still talk about a 34 year old an who is about done in football years. Sad all you got out of that article was this one line. Nothing at all about his acumen as you put it

The comparison is premature. As is all of the hubbub over Mahomes' MVP season. And all of this discussion is going on in a thread about Berry. I didn't do this.

Just now, PhataLerror said:

How many seasons did Smith play with Watkins, Kelce, Hill, Conley, and Hunt?

1 season other than Watkins who was out 9 games this year any ways and we lost Hunt too for the year. So even Mahomes did not get a full year. Weak excuse here.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

You attacked his acumen here....lol

Yes. His acumen is not impeccable. He got away with a lot of dangerous throws. There were dropped interceptions, and plenty of other throws that he never should have attempted, and that he won't get away with in future years.

Archived