Chiefs Sign Okafor

New @Chiefs Signing: ED Alex Okafor -68+ overall grade in 2016-18 -2017 Grades: 78.4 overall, 74.2 run D, 83.2 tackling, 74.0 pass rush, 60.8 coverage -2018 Grades: 69.4 overall, 68.3 run D, 59.1 tackling, 60.5 pass rush, 71.3 coverage -4 total missed tackles in 2016-18

PFF KC Chiefs added,

Nate TaylorVerified account @ByNateTaylor
Alex Okafor's 3-year deal with the Chiefs, per source, is $18 million with the ability to raise to $24 million based on incentives.
2:32 PM - 14 Mar 2019

Took not 1, not 2, but 3 cops to take him down when he was arrested for being black in Texas.  Great strength!

But seriously, he came on slow in '18 as he was recovering from an Achilles injury and finished the year pretty strong.  

Ok run Defender and pass-rush and he was paid to reflect that.  Signing was perfectly fine.  Need a few dudes like this to make the transition.

Chiefs are doing exactly what i would be doing. Get some run stuffers on d, screw paying guys to get after the qb when the good qbs get rid of the ball instantly anyways.

if we get darby signed or a trade for patrick peterson it will be near go time.

need to find a reliable slot receiver on the cheap. Thinking out loud I wonder if jordy nelson would sign a cheap 1 year deal to be a 4th receiver

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Chiefs are doing exactly what i would be doing. Get some run stuffers on d, screw paying guys to get after the qb when the good qbs get rid of the ball instantly anyways.

if we get darby signed or a trade for patrick peterson it will be near go time.

need to find a reliable slot receiver on the cheap. Thinking out loud I wonder if jordy nelson would sign a cheap 1 year deal to be a 4th receiver

I agree in free agency but we need pass rushers.  Id just get them in the draft and focus money we save on building better overall defensive roster. You are on point that I’d rather go toe to toe with teams in passing game in short term than let teams keep our O off the field with running game. 

Gotta have bodies and he is above avg and has had a really good year in 2016 before an achilles I think so you gotta think last year was getting himself right.  Not expecting a world beater but he should be better than last year and we got him at a decent rate.   If nothing else he's a good rotational body and insurance if Speaks or Kpass can't cut it.   I kinda expect us to sign a guy like Darby and another pass rusher maybe an older vet after cuts.

The Kansas City Chiefs have signed former New Orleans Saints and Arizona Cardinals defensive end Alex Okafor to a three-year deal, a move first reported by Ian Rapoport of NFL Media. The deal is worth $18 million with the potential to grow to $24 million due to incentives, according to Nate Taylor of The Athletic.

A native of Dallas, Texas, the 28-year-old Okafor (6-4, 261) is in his seventh NFL season after being selected by the Cardinals in Round 4 of the 2013 NFL Draft. Okafor played four seasons at Texas and totaled 150 tackles, 34 tackles for loss and 23 sacks while twice being named a first-team All-Big 12 selection.

Okafor played four seasons in Arizona and totaled 75 tackles and 13.5 sacks in 42 games, with a career high of eight sacks during the 2014 season. He signed with the Saints on a one-year deal in 2017 and recorded 43 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in 10 games (all starts) before his season came to an end due to a torn Achilles. Okafor re-signed with New Orleans in 2018 and rebounded from his Achilles injury to start all 16 games, totaling 36 tackles and four sacks while sharing the right defensive end position with rookie and first-round draft pick Marcus Davenport.

Okafor became a free agent a year ahead of schedule this offseason after the Saints triggered language in his contract that voided the final year of that existing deal after electing to pay him a sack bonus despite his not meeting the requirement on the field this past season. The terms of the contract had originally claimed that Okafor could earn the bonus, and a right to opt out of the deal, by recording five sacks. But after Okafor finished the season with four sacks, the Saints elected to pay him that bonus anyway, triggering the clause about the final year being voided.

The Chiefs put themselves in need of pass rushers earlier this offseason with the decisions to trade 2018 Pro Bowler Dee Ford and cut four-time Pro Bowler Justin Houston. The decisions were summed up by general manager Brett Veach as being mostly cap-related, with Ford due for at least $15.4 million in 2019 after being given the franchise tag and Houston due for a 2019 cap number of $21.1 million. Moving on from Ford and Houston will free up space in the short term while also adding needed room in the long term for inevitable contract extensions for wide receiver Tyreek Hill, defensive lineman Chris Jones and quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

But while the Chiefs now have greater financial flexibility, they also face the conundrum of replenishing a pass rush that helped contribute to a league-leading 52 sacks in 2018. Okafor is the first major step in that task, while more help will surely be added in the weeks ahead, either in free agency or the draft.

Archived