Bill Barnwell (ESPN) scorches Spags---oof

KC trades OLB/DE Dee Ford to SF

49ers get: OLB/DE Dee Ford
Chiefs get: 2020 second-round pick
49ers grade: B-
Chiefs grade: D+

I don't want to make this grade a referendum on the hiring of new Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, but it's hard to separate the hire from what happened here. Ford, coming off a 13-sack season, was reportedly dealt to the 49ers because he didn't fit into Spagnuolo's 4-3 scheme. With the news that the Chiefs were cutting Justin Houston for cap reasons earlier this week, a team whose secondary would politely be characterized as a moving sidewalk to the end zone last season is now suddenly down its top two edge rushers from a year ago.

It would be foolish, to some extent, to hire a defensive coordinator whose scheme doesn't fit the personnel you spent years trying to acquire for a 3-4. It would be really foolish, though, to hire a defensive coordinator who hasn't been good for a long stretch of time and then mold your new defense to his scheme. Since Spagnuolo left the Giants after the 2008 season, he has produced exactly one defense with an above-average DVOA in seven tries as a defensive coordinator or head coach.

That season came in 2016, when the Giants loaded up on free agents and just about everyone on their defense stayed healthy. They finished second in defensive DVOA. Otherwise, Spagnuolo's defenses have ranked no better than 19th, with three bottom-three finishes and an average rank of worse than 26th in those six other seasons. He has pieced together one good season, and that was when the defense was full of big-money additions. The Chiefs just traded away their two best pass-rushers, though they added safety Tyrann Mathieu.

As for the Chiefs, a team which should be stockpiling talent around Patrick Mahomes while the MVP is on a rookie deal has mostly been shedding pieces this offseason. Kansas City's top edge rusher as of now is 2018 second-rounder Breeland Speaks, who had 1.5 sacks and eight knockdowns as a rookie. He might turn into a great player, but it would be lunacy to head into the season with Speaks as the top defensive end. The Chiefs can use the draft to go after one of the many edge rushers available, but this trade would have made more sense if they had been able to extract San Francisco's second-rounder in the 2019 draft as opposed to next year's second-rounder. Could they use the money earmarked for Ford to get more defensive help? There is no player as promising as Ford left in the free-agent pool.

We got blown up last year for trading away Alex Smith after the year he had.  We got blown up a few years ago for picking up Alex Smith and not drafting a quarterback. We got blown up for hiring Reid whose wheels were falling off in Philadelphia.  We got blown up for drafting Tyreek Hill.  I've learned to trust the current people running the Chiefs organization more than I trust Bill Barnwell. 

25 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Can't say I disagree at all with this line of thinking.  I do think Ford will be a contract year wonder though, but agree it should of been a 2nd rounder this year as SF gets there QB back and next year's pick will be much lower. 

We can use as trade ammo still this year 

What he fails to recognize is that the players being moved were at the point in their contract status where moving them made sense.  IE: now was exactly the time to do all this.  And it really appears as though Veach drafted last year with this move in mind. 

In typical Spags fashion I expect a huge improvement on defense in 2020.  What we are hoping for is enough progression in 2019 to get that critical stop we needed in 2018. 

I don’t expect miracles but rather a good plan that makes sense. We are now loaded with draft picks, CAP room and holes.  It kind off adds up does it not?

Also lost here is the clear significant coaching staff overhaul and upgrade even beyond Spags.  This was always meant to be a true rebuild that actually started last offseason. 

“If you’re not proactive in your approach, then you’re always chasing your tail and you’re always in a position where you don’t have draft capital or don’t have cap space,” general manager Brett Veach said.

I hate opinions like these because they’re very shortsighted. Yes, the chiefs are going to try to win this year, but this article acts as if this coming year is the only one that matters.  If you’re like Denver was a few years ago when Manning was at the end of his career, moves like we’ve made wouldn’t have made any sense.  We’ve got a huge window with Mahomes, and the chiefs are building it right. This off-season is about getting out from under bad defensive contracts, and in the case of Ford, avoiding getting back in that same saddle.  That’s why we got a 2nd round pick for him.  This off-season is about fixing what Dorsey fucked up. 

An argument could be made that the chiefs committed to a transition to a 43 last year, considering they drafted Speaks and Kpass, who both fit the 43 better. I honestly believe that the defensive changes were coming regardless of how the season played out based on the moves Veach was making.  

This is simply another talking head viewing things in a vacuum and not seeing the bigger picture.  The chiefs were a Dee Ford fuckup from being in the super bowl in Mahomes first year as a starter. They aren’t going for broke on a run in 2019, they’re positioning themselves to have multiple runs , the antithesis of this past seasons rams, who I believe will be back to 6-7 wins seasons in a matter of a couple of years. The chiefs are building this the right way, and an opinion piece from a shortsighted blowhard doesn’t change that.  Of course his profession is gauged on the number of hits rather than thorough analysis.  This isn’t about 2019, this is about 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25.  

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

What he fails to recognize is that the players being moved were at the point in their contract status where moving them made sense.  IE: now was exactly the time to do all this.  And it really appears as though Veach drafted last year with this move in mind. 

In typical Spags fashion I expect a huge improvement on defense in 2020.  What we are hoping for is enough progression in 2019 to get that critical stop we needed in 2018. 

I don’t expect miracles but rather a good plan that makes sense. We are now loaded with draft picks, CAP room and holes.  It kind off adds up does it not?

Also lost here is the clear significant coaching staff overhaul and upgrade even beyond Spags.  This was always meant to be a true rebuild that actually started last offseason. 

Agree its a pathetic article

He was rough on everyone in that article except the Browns.  The Browns have a ton of money to spend and have sucked for the better part of 3 decades.   Dorsey can field a great team but he has yet to show that he can maintain that.    Also the chances of Mayfield regressing are far greater than Mahomes.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

We got blown up last year for trading away Alex Smith after the year he had.  We got blown up a few years ago for picking up Alex Smith and not drafting a quarterback. We got blown up for hiring Reid whose wheels were falling off in Philadelphia.  We got blown up for drafting Tyreek Hill.  I've learned to trust the current people running the Chiefs organization more than I trust Bill Barnwell. 

Yeppp

A year ago, no one was talking about Ford being worth a 2nd or being signed to a mega deal like he got. Lots of people wrote him off as a bust with a couple of good games where he got multiple sacks against bad teams. He also had the luxury of being a pass rusher for the best offense in the league where teams were basically forced to throw 30+ times a game to keep up and catch up early. Lets watch the 49ers even make teams throw that much with all those big leads their offense will generate...

If Ford doesn’t put up 15 sacks next year, you have to swap the grades this guy gave. If Ford is a contract year wonder and a product of shootout games allowing him to just rush the passer, the Chiefs should get an A+ for both getting a pick and not wasting money.

I never liked Ford. So I am biased. But lets not act like Ford is Khalil Mack...

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

He was rough on everyone in that article except the Browns.  The Browns have a ton of money to spend and have sucked for the better part of 3 decades.   Dorsey can field a great team but he has yet to show that he can maintain that.    Also the chances of Mayfield regressing are far greater than Mahomes.

Yea, Dorsey can identify talent, but he fucks it up when its time to resign them.  Dorsey's mistakes were the primary driver behind the defensive purge this offseason.  Thank god he wasn't around for Dee Ford's second contract, Dorsey would've given him 100m. 

On 3/15/2019 at 12:35 PM, reesebobby said:

Spot on! Don't always agree with the decisions but you learn to just trust them.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, Thegoatee said:

A year ago, no one was talking about Ford being worth a 2nd or being signed to a mega deal like he got. Lots of people wrote him off as a bust with a couple of good games where he got multiple sacks against bad teams. He also had the luxury of being a pass rusher for the best offense in the league where teams were basically forced to throw 30+ times a game to keep up and catch up early. Lets watch the 49ers even make teams throw that much with all those big leads their offense will generate...

If Ford doesn’t put up 15 sacks next year, you have to swap the grades this guy gave. If Ford is a contract year wonder and a product of shootout games allowing him to just rush the passer, the Chiefs should get an A+ for both getting a pick and not wasting money.

I never liked Ford. So I am biased. But lets not act like Ford is Khalil Mack...

Many people were saying that Ford should be released.

Most "experts" don't watch all the games so they just look at the numbers and go from there. On paper Ford might look like an attractive guy for most but the team generally knows the best about the shortcomings. They generally think that an undersized Ford will become a good DE because he is a good edge rusher but there's more to playing the position. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, reesebobby said:

Maybe we should have gotten blown up for drafting HIll :lol:  But basically, I agree with you.

Archived